• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Your favorite WW2 Battle

I'm not dissing the US or refusing to acknowledge its important role. What I'm saying that the war was essentially won from the beginning, and that Normandy wasn't a turning point. You keep saying that the Germans could have still won in 1944 but the battle of the bulge was still peanuts compared to the eastern front, and Model and such knew that the operation was doomed from the beginning. The objective was Antwerp, and even assuming they got hold of it, it's still doubtful that it would have won them the war.

I didn't believe that you were, however, the rest simply isn't true. Had Hitler listened to his general staff, the battle of Stalingrad would have never happened ergo, no defeat at Stalingrad and Army Group B would have still been intact to take and hold the oilfields in the Caucases. Had the Germans simply given the troops cold weather gear and winterized their equipment, the winter of 41-42 wouldn't have stalled the advance. And...there was no way that the Soviets could have survived without a second front. Stalin knew that and that's why kept insisting that an invasion of France take place. Would Germany have retained all of her captured territory? Probably not, but an armistice vice an unconditional surrender? Highly probable.

The Germans had a plan to invade England.

Operation Sea Lion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It was realistic.

The Brits didn't have an "Atlantic Wall" to fight off a German invasion. That being the case and the only real advantage the Brits having would have been air parity, not superiority and certainly not supremacy, a German invasion had a real chance of succeeding in gaining a foothold.

I'll say for the umpteenth time, just because events turned out the way they did doesn't mean that that was the only possibility.

The Germans had a plan to invade England.

Operation Sea Lion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It was realistic.

The Brits didn't have an "Atlantic Wall" to fight off a German invasion. That being the case and the only real advantage the Brits having would have been air parity, not superiority and certainly not supremacy, a German invasion had a real chance of succeeding in gaining a foothold.

I'll say for the umpteenth time, just because events turned out the way they did doesn't mean that that was the only possibility.

As for operation Sea Lion, I'll say again, that it was zero to being possible. Even if the Germans gained air superiority, there was still the Royal Navy to consider. By the spring of 1940, there was only 4 destroyers and 1 cruiser in the entire German surface fleet, an entirely insufficient force to carry out a landing. The top generals such as von Rundstedt and such knew that it would be impossible and made only half-hearted preparations.

As for operation Sea Lion, I'll say again, that it was zero to being possible. Even if the Germans gained air superiority, there was still the Royal Navy to consider. By the spring of 1940, there was only 4 destroyers and 1 cruiser in the entire German surface fleet, an entirely insufficient force to carry out a landing. The top generals such as von Rundstedt and such knew that it would be impossible and made only half-hearted preparations.

The Germans still had their U-Boats...and...where was the British Navy during the route at Dunkirk? Recall all the civilian craft that were used to evac the troops from Dunkirk?

No operation has a ZERO possibility of success.

Back
Top Bottom