• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Your Favorite Jazz Album of All Time?

truthatallcost

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
For me its John Coltrane- A Love Supreme.
THE ultimate jazz album for style, pushing the medium forward, and great songs.

What's yours?

For me its John Coltrane- A Love Supreme.
THE ultimate jazz album for style, pushing the medium forward, and great songs.

What's yours?

A tie:

Grover Washington - Time Out of Mind (A gift from a loved one so double special)

Dave Brubeck - Take 5

Chuck Mangione - Anything with either 'Hill where the Lord Hides' or "Legend of the One Eyed Sailor'

Miles; Sketches of Spain. I read long ago that this is one that he played for himself a lot, like all day long at some points, so I know he liked it too.

Very tough as there are so many good one. Right now, I'll take Musicmagic or Romantic Warrior by Return to Forever. Chick Correa's band starring bassist Stanley Clark. Al Dimeola is on Romantic Warrior which makes it stand out, but Musicmagic is more of an ensemble album which makes IT stand out. Either is awesome.

You guys named some great albums! I wasn't sure there would be many jazz fans here, but I'm pleasantly surprised.

Hawkeye mentioned Sketches of Spain, I found a stack of jazz LPs for super cheap, and Sketches was in there, incredible stuff.

Do you guys prefer to listen on vinyl? I know the purists say it's better, luckily there's a ton of good jazz and classical at thrift stores if you look regularly.

You guys named some great albums! I wasn't sure there would be many jazz fans here, but I'm pleasantly surprised.

Hawkeye mentioned Sketches of Spain, I found a stack of jazz LPs for super cheap, and Sketches was in there, incredible stuff.

Do you guys prefer to listen on vinyl? I know the purists say it's better, luckily there's a ton of good jazz and classical at thrift stores if you look regularly.

Vinyl for the nostalgic touch. And yes, plenty of jazz, blues and classical music to be had at the thrift shops.

Too many to have an absolute favorite, but Pat Metheny's "Question and Answer" comes close.

I'd probably say Monk's Dream, but I do also like Love Supreme a lot.

Dave Brubeck's Dave Digs Disney, all of it:

When I heard Jean Luc Ponty live, he was opening for Bonnie Raitt, of all people.

Chick Corea with Flora Purim as the vocalist:

Vinyl and great speakers are a must when listening to Miles ( and Miles is the only Jazz I listen to anymore even though I have more than 500 of my dads jazz records).

Really good headphones will do in a pinch.

But not really.

Last edited:
It is not considered to be a great album but TUTU never fails to touch me good.

And for romantic evenings with the wife the soundtrack to Siesta which Miles did with Marcus Miller always comes through.

Last edited:
Jazz is so diverse that the question in the OP is impossible to answer but among the greats is Duke Ellington's Live at Newport '56, Sonny Rollins Night at the Village Vanguard, Miles Davis Bitch's Brew, Ella Fitzgerald Singe the Cole Porter Songbook and, believe it or not, Sun Ra's Greatest Hits.

2011 I saw Chick Corea at Jazz Alley.....I liked the show a lot.

Chick Corea with Flora Purim as the vocalist:

This is quite nice. I love when jazz branched out in the 70's with elements of funk and rock. Herbie Hancock has some killer albums in the 70's of this style of playing. Nice pick!

Vinyl and great speakers are a must when listening to Miles ( and Miles is the only Jazz I listen to anymore even though I have more than 500 of my dads jazz records).

Really good headphones will do in a pinch.

But not really.

That's awesome man, your dad must have had great taste in music. I'd like to be somewhere where 500 original jazz LPs are at one time! Usually I find one here or there when I hunt for them.

Are there any Blue Note albums in your collection? Gonna have a listen at your video pick now.

That's awesome man, your dad must have had great taste in music. I'd like to be somewhere where 500 original jazz LPs are at one time! Usually I find one here or there when I hunt for them.

Are there any Blue Note albums in your collection? Gonna have a listen at your video pick now.

I made trips with my dad into chicago and one of the things he did was shop at dumpy used record stores in a dumpy few blocks that were slated for urban renewal. This was 68-71 or so. He also would buy model railroad stuff at All Nation Hobby. The streets these places were on dont even exist anymore.

THere is a lot of choice stuff

I talked to a reseller a few years ago in Seattle, he says that but for a few choice things old jazz does not sell. At all.

I made trips with my dad into chicago and one of the things he did was shop at dumpy used record stores in a dumpy few blocks that were slated for urban renewal. This was 68-71 or so. He also would buy model railroad stuff at All Nation Hobby. The streets these places were on dont even exist anymore.

THere is a lot of choice stuff

I talked to a reseller a few years ago in Seattle, he says that but for a few choice things old jazz does not sell. At all.

Hey man, I think you should discount what the reseller in Seattle says, maybe he was interested in buying your collection? I can tell you that some original 50's-60's jazz recordings are very valuable, especially if they were well cared for and are in good condition.

The run of the mill stuff isn't very valuable, but if your dad was taking you to Chicago in 68-71, he probably got some good stuff.

I could help give you some pointers on what to look for if you want, I used to sell a little vinyl here and there.

Old train stuff is big too, not my area of expertise, but I can appreciate it. I lived in an area for years with loud trains going by every hour, kinda ruined my fascination of trains.

no question
this one:

I have lots of vinyl, but I prefer digital only for the convenience.

no question
this one:

In my top 5, no doubt. I read somewhere where Miles said he regretted not playing with Jimi Hendrix, if that had happened it'd have been huge. Hendrix has been my hero since I was 15. Would have been amazing to hear what they might have done together.

I have lots of vinyl, but I prefer digital only for the convenience.

I only owned one mp3 player, and the sound just drove me nuts, it wasn't an iPod, which do give much better sound. My most modern media is CDs at this point.

Back
Top Bottom