• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Your Favorite Jazz Album of All Time?

I'd probably say Monk's Dream, but I do also like Love Supreme a lot.

Nice man. Monk is one of my favorites too, he had a quality to his playing that no other piano player has. I like Oscar Peterson for more clean playing, but Monk stands out from everyone else IMO.

I have lots of vinyl, but I prefer digital only for the convenience.

Ditto. I inherited about 10K albums from my father but have given them all to my little sister. She and her husband have purchased the equipment needed to transfer all the vinyl, but this has to be done in real time, so I doubt either one of them will ever have time to ever finish this project.

Meanwhile, I love this Herbie Hancock composition:

Ditto. I inherited about 10K albums from my father but have given them all to my little sister. She and her husband have purchased the equipment needed to transfer all the vinyl, but this has to be done in real time, so I doubt either one of them will ever have time to ever finish this project.

Meanwhile, I love this Herbie Hancock composition:

I don't know what software they are using but it is time consuming. What I use records the album and then allows for some light editing. Since it records a FLAC file you then need to compress it to an MP3 (unless you want every album to take up a couple of gigabytes). It will usually take me an hour to copy, fix and save a standard LP. If they've only got 10,000 albums to go through it shouldn't take them more than a year and a half to get that all done providing that they forgo sleep, eating, work, etc.

You want an album guaranteed to get you some num-nums?

Good OP, great question. Difficult to answer. The genre is broad.

Here are some of my all time favorites.

The Best of Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong

Les McCann and Eddie Harris - Swiss Movement (Live 1969)

Buena Vista Social Club Presents: Ibrahim Ferrer

The Atomic Mr. Basie - Count Basie

The Best of Benny Goodman - Benny Goodman

Coco - Parvo Stelar (electronic swing)

If I can only pick one, and only one, it would be Real Thing by Taj Mahal. Admittedly there are a few blues cuts on the album. However, with a huge brass section, excellent horn riffs and Taj Mahal singing scat on a number of songs, jazz dominates the album. Here's an excellent example:

I don't know what software they are using but it is time consuming. What I use records the album and then allows for some light editing. Since it records a FLAC file you then need to compress it to an MP3 (unless you want every album to take up a couple of gigabytes). It will usually take me an hour to copy, fix and save a standard LP. If they've only got 10,000 albums to go through it shouldn't take them more than a year and a half to get that all done providing that they forgo sleep, eating, work, etc.

All I know about the software/equipment is that if an album's side is 33 minutes, that's how long it takes to transfer. So in the last three years, I'll bet he's done 5-10 maybe. He's offshore a lot, and they have an about-to-turn-4-year old, so I guess this will probably be a retirement project. ;)

If I can only pick one, and only one, it would be Real Thing by Taj Mahal. Admittedly there are a few blues cuts on the album. However, with a huge brass section, excellent horn riffs and Taj Mahal singing scat on a number of songs, jazz dominates the album. Here's an excellent example:

What I love, Risky, is how jazz and boogie-woogie and swing and swamp boogie and the blues flow into and out of each other.

While reading all these posts, I began thinking about Julie London and June Christy. This isn't the best version of her "How High the Moon," but it's fun because Mel Torme's on the drums, and Nat King Cole is on the keys:

And speaking of Mel Torme:

If I can only pick one, and only one, it would be Real Thing by Taj Mahal. Admittedly there are a few blues cuts on the album. However, with a huge brass section, excellent horn riffs and Taj Mahal singing scat on a number of songs, jazz dominates the album.

Some of my favorite jazz artists had a heavy blues influence, such as Grant Green and Kenny Burrell. I could do a separate thread just about jazz guitarists, since that's the instrument I play, I'm partial to guitar players.

Some of my favorite jazz artists had a heavy blues influence, such as Grant Green and Kenny Burrell. I could do a separate thread just about jazz guitarists, since that's the instrument I play, I'm partial to guitar players.

Wes Montgomery and Earl Klugh are two of my favorites.

Wes Montgomery and Earl Klugh are two of my favorites.

Wes is one of my favorites too, such a great player with cool vibes. His use of octaves was a big influence on tons of guitar players from George Benson to Jimi Hendrix and others.

Wes had a ton of great tunes, but his covers are just mint man, like his version of Billie's Bounce, written by Charlie Parker. Parker's version is great but Wes took it to another level.

My dad went for Stan Getz and Maynard Ferguson......I'd say more Ferguson, think he got blown away at a show once.

I only owned one mp3 player, and the sound just drove me nuts, it wasn't an iPod, which do give much better sound. My most modern media is CDs at this point.

I actually had a rare Kenwood walkman (bought it in St. Maarten) that had some of the best sound I've ever heard. Of course, the right headphones make all the difference. Someone should start a thread on favorite equipment to LISTEN to music, too. That would be interesting.

I actually had a rare Kenwood walkman (bought it in St. Maarten) that had some of the best sound I've ever heard. Of course, the right headphones make all the difference. Someone should start a thread on favorite equipment to LISTEN to music, too. That would be interesting.

Some of those old Walkmans were of such high quality, that they're still highly sought after today. Did you see those old Sony cassette Walkmans from the 70's and early 80's were selling for about $300-400 in good shape. They were the ones that had metal headphones, and looked like:

sony_tps-l2_ad_03.jpg

These things were the iPods of their day.

Gato Barbieri "Caliente!"

I saw him 2 or 3 times, can't remember... incredible talent and very sad to see he recently passed away.

Miles; Sketches of Spain. I read long ago that this is one that he played for himself a lot, like all day long at some points, so I know he liked it too.

You took the words right out of my mouth. My favorite Miles album hands down. Parts of it are taken from Rodrigo's "Concierto de Aranjuez" which is a beautiful piece of music originally written for guitar and orchestra. Give it a listen if you get a chance.

My all time favorite jazz album? Impossible to say, there are just so many. I'm partial to small bands and live recordings so maybe Bill Evans "Live at the Village Vanguard." Evans and bassist Scott Lefaro are two of my favorite musicians - I steal shamelessly from Lefaro - so that may have something to with it.

Some of you guys posted some great funk influenced 70s pieces, so ill throw in one of my faves.

Back
Top Bottom