• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Your favorite childhood hymn

nota bene

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I am about to make a CD for a little boy and am eager to learn which childhood hymns have really stuck with you your whole lives. I have a fairly good library, but I may be missing something that is outside my own liturgical tradition. I'm pretty sure I'm not up on the most contemporary tunes either, so thanks in advance for sharing. I'm looking forward to learning.

I am about to make a CD for a little boy and am eager to learn which childhood hymns have really stuck with you your whole lives. I have a fairly good library, but I may be missing something that is outside my own liturgical tradition. I'm pretty sure I'm not up on the most contemporary tunes either, so thanks in advance for sharing. I'm looking forward to learning.

I'm quite fond of "Every Morning is Easter Morning".

I've also come to appreciate a lot of contemporary Christian rock (though a lot of it is also not very good). Not sure how much of it is good for kids, but my kids absolutely loved TobyMAC when they were little ("Lose my Soul" is probably his biggest hit), and I like the message of a lot of Matthew West's songs (ie. "Do Something") and NeedToBreate ("Multiplied").

Last edited:
Thank you all so much. I'm not familiar with many of these (but I will be soon).

I think the first video is my favorite.

Whenever I hear the song of a bird
Or look at the blue, blue sky,
Whenever I feel the rain on my face
Or the wind as it rushes by,
Whenever I touch a velvet rose
Or walk by our lilac tree,
I'm glad that I live in this beautiful world
Heav'nly Father created for me.

He gave me my eyes that I might see
The color of butterfly wings.
He gave me my ears that I might hear
The magical sound of things.
He gave me my life, my mind, my heart:
I thank him rev'rently
For all his creations, of which I'm a part.
Yes, I know Heav'nly Father loves me.

The Old Rugged Cross...by I did not go to church until I was 15 or so.

then as an adult, ...How Can I Keep From Singing, by Enya.

Thank you all so much. I'm not familiar with many of these (but I will be soon).

By the way, my wife wanted me to point out that TobyMAC's "Lose my Soul" has a "radio version" that cuts out some of the more adult themes in the song, but I have only ever heard the radio version.

Thanks for the heads-up!

The Old Rugged Cross...by I did not go to church until I was 15 or so.

then as an adult, ...How Can I Keep From Singing, by Enya.

Ah, "The Old Rugged Cross," my mother's favorite from her childhood. I am delighted to be being brought up to speed with new/contemporary Christian tunes. I should add here that the little boy whose CD I'm putting together is only 16 months old. So "Jesus Loves Me" and "Jesus Loves the Little Children," of course. And "Pharoah, Pharoah," which his daddy remembers from his childhood. Ha, anything with gestures such as "Yes, Lord." So much fun.

I'm still hopeful that I'll learn which childhood hymns others have carried with them to this day, the ones that stuck. Any and all ideas gratefully solicited!

Last edited:
Thank you, Maggie. I just sent your link by e-mail to daddy.

Back
Top Bottom