• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Your fav sayings, includes ones that you claim as your own

Mine - Winter never wins

My son when he was really young - I just want to have what I want to do. Pretty much covers all of his bases.

Mine:

Africa can be better than you expect or worse than you expect, but it will not be what you expect.

Regarding bring up old grudges:

The more you stir and old turd, the more it stinks.

"I'm not young enough to know everything" Oscar Wilde

"It's so crowded, no one goes there any more" Yogi Berra

"If I had my druthers, I'd go to heaven for the climate, and hell for the company" Mark Twain

"Don't tell me what you know. Tell me where you've been" The Profit Mohammad

"People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care." Teddy Roosevelt

"The key to being a good manager is keeping the people who hate me away from those who are still undecided" Casey Stengel

"When written in Chinese, the word 'crisis' is composed of two characters. One represents danger and the other represents opportunity." JFK

"I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly" Winston Churchill

"Hell is other people."
-- Jean-Paul Sartre

"Prepare for the worst and hope for the best."
-- my building manager

Real men don't have to remind you that they are men.

One I use a lot-=someone becoming mastered by his own mythology. Cannot recall where I first heard that or modified something similar-been using it over 45 years

One that I made up, or at least have never heard anybody else say... that I have been saying since I was a kid, is:

"If you are not cheating you are not trying hard enough to win"

None are mine – credited if I know the author:

It is what it is...and the corollary: It just doesn't matter

When you're up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember the objective is to drain the swamp

Faster Cars, Younger Women, Older Whiskey, More Money

I'm a senior citizen so shut up and gimme my discount

If you can't impress 'em with brilliance, dazzle 'em with bull

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and enthusiasm

Gettin’ old ain’t for sissies but it beats the alternative

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one and they're usually better off keeping both to themselves
...and the variant: Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one and they both stink

If I give you my two cents' worth for your penny for my thoughts, I'm losing money on the deal

You can't clear up the water until you get the pigs out of the pond

The light at the end of the tunnel most likely is the headlamp of an onrushing freight train

I ain't lookin' for trouble but if it's lookin' for me, I ain't hard to find

Winning may not be everything but losing isn't anything

I am a stoned traveler, got no place in this world to call my home - Roger Alan Wade

There's a thin line between prayin' and a crazy man just talkin' to hisself - Roger Alan Wade

Trust no one - Fox Muldar

Live long and prosper - Spock

Git ‘er done - Larry The Cable Guy

A man's got to know his limitations - Harry Callahan

Askin' ain't gettin' - my Dad (usually regarding an exorbitant price, dunno if it was original with him)

See signature line.

Also - Zeroth Amendment: Congress shall make no law infringing on the right to be insulted, offended or shocked by the words of others.

There's 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't.

"I ain't bad, but the bad don't mess with me."

You can't be first but you could be next.

There's 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't.

and . . .

There are two types of people in the world: Those who think there are two types of people and those who don't.

"Fake it 'til you make it."

This is what I always say when I am trying to seal a project.

Blending sayings and quotes, perhaps with a vaguely intended arc...

"Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget that you come from a long line of truth-seekers, lovers, and warriors." - Hunter S. Thompson.

"Don't take any guff from those swine." - Hunter S. Thompson

"I don't know what's gonna happen, man, I don't know what's gonna happen. But I'm gonna have my kicks before the whole ****house goes up in flames allright. ALLRIGHT!" - Jim Morrison, addressing the crowd either just before or after a particularly good Roadhouse Blues performance.

" What are the roots that clutch, what branches grow
Out of this stony rubbish? Son of man,
You cannot say, or guess, for you know only
A heap of broken images, where the sun beats,
And the dead tree gives no shelter, the cricket no relief,
And the dry stone no sound of water. Only
There is shadow under this red rock,
(Come in under the shadow of this red rock),
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust."

-Robert Frost

“And always, if he had a little money, a man could get drunk. The hard edges gone, and the warmth. Then there was no loneliness, for a man could people his brain with friends, and he could find his enemies and destroy them. Sitting in a ditch, the earth grew soft under him. Failures dulled and the future was no threat. And hunger did not skulk about, but the world was soft and easy, and a man could reach the place he started for. The stars came down wonderfully close and the sky was soft. Death was a friend, and sleep was death’s brother. The old times came back – dear and warm. A girl with pretty feet, who danced one time at home – a horse – a long time ago. A horse and a saddle. And the leather was carved. When was that? Ought to find a girl to talk to. That’s nice. Might lay with her, too. But warm here. And that stars down so close, and sadness and pleasure were so close together, really the same thing. Like to stay drunk all the time. Who says it’s bad? Who dares to say it’s bad? Preachers – but they got their own kinda drunkenness. Thin, barren women, but they’re too miserable to know. Reformers – but they don’t bite deep enough into living to know. No – the stars are close and dear and I have joined the brotherhood of the worlds. And everything’s holy – everything, even me.” (Grapes of Wrath, Steinbeck, 327-328).

“For such is the way of it: to find and lose, as it seems to those whose boat is on the running stream.” - Tolkien

“All my life, my heart has sought a thing I cannot name.
Remembered line from a long-
forgotten poem” - Hunter S. Thompson

‘There you are!’ came the answer. ‘It’s all quite useless. He said so himself. You are the fool, going on hoping and toiling. You could have lain down and gone to sleep together days ago, if you hadn’t been so dogged. But you’ll die just the same, or worse. You might just as well lie down now and give it up. You’ll never get to the top anyway.’
‘I’ll get there, if I leave everything but my bones behind,’ said Sam. ‘And I’ll carry Mr. Frodo up myself, if it breaks my back and heart. So stop arguing!’. - Tolkien

“And then to Sam’s surprise and utter confusion he bowed his knee before them; and taking them by the hand, Frodo upon his right and Sam upon his left, he lead them to the throne, and setting them upon it, he turned to the men and captains who stood by and spoke, so that his voice range over all the host, crying: “Praise them with great praise!”
. . .
“And all the host laughed and wept, and in the midst of their merriment and tears the clear voice of the minstrel rose like silver and gold, and all men were hushed, and he sang to them, now in the Elven-tongue, now in the speech of the West, until their hearts, wounded with sweet words, overflowed, and their joy was like swords, and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness.” - Tolkien

"The man in black fled across the desert, and the Gunslinger followed." - Steven King

Last edited:
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." — General James 'Chaos' Mattis in a message to the 1st Marine Division in March 2003 on the eve of the Iraq War.

“Hard saying, not knowing.”

You get what you tolerate.

Last edited:
Which large corporation do you work for?

This is mine.
I call it 'retroactive volunteerism'

A good use would be if during a conversation you find your interlocutor has recently moved.
Your response would be along these lines: 'You should have called me, I would have loved to help'

The idea is - you get the credit without actually having to do anything.

I use it whenever the circumstance presents itself.

Your fav sayings, links if you have them, and includes ones that you claim as your own
Add your own.

Mine
3 things one notices when growing old (male perspective)

Winters get longer

Summers get shorter

Women get prettier

Jump in the waters warm

"It's the Despair Quotient!"

Me: "A well-reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer."

Oscar Wilde: "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

Winston Churchill: "Now we're just dickering over the price."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom