• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Your Congress at work, now fighting over sports

Harry Guerrilla

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Your Congress at work, now fighting over sports - Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON — It's not enough for lawmakers to bicker over war, taxes, immigration, global warming and the federal deficit.

Now they're fighting over measures that congratulate college sports teams for winning national titles or hail professional athletes for their achievements.

The once-routine resolutions honoring hometown squads or stars sailed through Congress for years with nary a discordant note or vote — but no more.

"It's one thing to not be able to do the big things which are hard, like reforming Social Security ," Graham said. "But it's quite another to not be able to do the simple, appropriate and easy things like recognizing a team for winning a national championship."

A small but growing number of lawmakers say that successful athletes get plenty of accolades outside Washington — and that bills celebrating them waste precious time in Congress .

"We need to raise the bar and start doing serious work around here," Rep. Jason Chaffetz , a freshman Utah Republican, said last week during a contentious House of Representatives floor debate on two commemorative sports measures.

"I don't care if it's a Democrat, I don't care if it's a Republican (who sponsors such legislation), if it's in the world of sports, they get enough recognition," Chaffetz said. "We've got important business. We have troops that are in harm's way. We have not brought up a budget resolution to discuss the outrageous debt and deficit that we're suffering through."

Wow, these people are morons and completely wasting our time.

A complete bi partisan congress cleaning is in order.
Remember, they are getting paid very well, to honor sports teams. :doh

Ugg....

Seriously, the amount of time spending debating whether or not they should acknowledge sports teams will be more than an entire decades worth of acknowledgement votes would actually be. How asinine

I would have thought if your concern was wasting time then why not shut the hell up and just fast-track the bill rather than kick up a stink that will do precisely what you're protesting against....

I think its more on principle rather than just the time wasted that congress should not be doing minute things like this, and focus on the more important things.

Ugg....

Seriously, the amount of time spending debating whether or not they should acknowledge sports teams will be more than an entire decades worth of acknowledgement votes would actually be. How asinine

That is true but it's so moronic that they even put those up in the first place.
I mean can anyone find anywhere in the Constitution where congress is supposed to congratulate sports teams or anything like that.

They're wasting our time and money both ways.

Back
Top Bottom