• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Your commute?

Peter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
A simple topic here.
How long does it take you to get to work?

I'm pretty lucky in that I live just a 25 minute walk from work and it means I don't need to own a car.
The local train service is a direct line into London if I feel like a day out and the local buses are all pretty decent.

I have plenty of friends who work in London and commute in and I sometimes feel a bit sad for them that they have a good hour each way journey on the train (nobody with any sanity drives into London) even though the trains were recently upgraded.

So, how long for you?

A simple topic here.

I'm pretty lucky in that I live just a 25 minute walk from work and it means I don't need to own a car.
The local train service is a direct line into London if I feel like a day out and the local buses are all pretty decent.

I have plenty of friends who work in London and commute in and I sometimes feel a bit sad for them that they have a good hour each way journey on the train (nobody with any sanity drives into London) even though the trains were recently upgraded.

So, how long for you?

I have a 25 minute drive to the office, however I drive roughly 3000 miles a month on the job, even though I am semi-retired.

A simple topic here.

So, how long for you?
Back when I was still riding the subways, the shortest time was 22 minutes, the longest over 45. One particularly horrible day roughly 100+ minutes. Conditions often changed. But that was just to get to my office. When working in the field - which used to be quite often - it could be anywhere in the city, from just around the corner, to 2 hours or more to the outer boroughs.

depends. i drive, and it's either an hour and five minutes each way or thirty minutes each way. that assumes no snow. long story short, we maintain multiple properties temporarily. i did four or five months of the longer commute this past spring and summer, and it was really tiring. luckily, for part of that, there weren't many cars on the road. i think that i did see part of at least one Cannonball Run attempt when i had to work a weekend, though. they say the records were broken in 2020 due to empty highways.

depends. i drive, and it's either an hour and five minutes each way or thirty minutes each way. that assumes no snow. long story short, we maintain multiple properties temporarily. i did four or five months of the longer commute this past spring and summer, and it was really tiring. luckily, for part of that, there weren't many cars on the road. i think that i did see part of at least one Cannonball Run attempt when i had to work a weekend, though. they say the records were broken in 2020 due to empty highways.

A Genuine Cannonball run is on my bucket list.

A Genuine Cannonball run is on my bucket list.

i used to dig going fast. these days, i mostly want to get there and then get home without incident. i'm not saying that i'll never have another sporty car, but after twenty some years of commuting, i'm of the "blend in with everyone else and don't do anything noticeable" school of thought.

that being said, when the highways were mostly empty, it was interesting to see a couple supercars and a few modified ones doing serious speed. it will be one of my "things i saw back during the pandemic of '20" grandpa stories if i make it that long.

Having once been involved in a nasty wreck, I am also more concerned with safe travel then getting their fast. I head to work over an hour ahead of time and take a longer route, just to avoid morning rush hour traffic. As for sporty cars, I got that out of my system in my 20s.

You can't do anything similar in the UK as you'll be spotted by a speed camera and fined and most likely banned.

I have a 17.5 mile commute that takes me about 20 minutes to get there and about 30 to get home.

i used to dig going fast. these days, i mostly want to get there and then get home without incident. i'm not saying that i'll never have another sporty car, but after twenty some years of commuting, i'm of the "blend in with everyone else and don't do anything noticeable" school of thought.

that being said, when the highways were mostly empty, it was interesting to see a couple supercars and a few modified ones doing serious speed. it will be one of my "things i saw back during the pandemic of '20" grandpa stories if i make it that long.

I own a couple of Triumph Spitfire 1500's and two of the last generation Pontiac Trans AMs one being a custom Bandit style machine and the other Blackbird. It's almost a requirement if you were a trucker and have a Pontiac TA that it be a Bandit car. There are times I have a need for speed. Hwy 50 in Nevada is nice lonely road I visit when I have that need, and want to stretch my machines legs. One of the many benefits of being a trucker is knowing many very lonely roads that are very lovely and scenic drives. I had to modify the T-tops to be able handle the speed my unit are capable of. 6 latches instead of two. The modification helps with weather tightness too. Weird thing is when I drive truck I rarely exceed 65 mph even the western states where you can go 80, even though I owned triple digit tractors. Paying for the go go juice tends to pull one's foot out of the throttle. The difference in fuel consumption can be huge between 65 and 75 mph. Aerodynamics starts to come into play around 55 and starts an exponential curve in power required to move.

I want to build a special Cannonball car with an efficient diesel motor and huge tankage to make the trip from New York to Long Beach nonstop.

Having once been involved in a nasty wreck, I am also more concerned with safe travel then getting their fast. I head to work over an hour ahead of time and take a longer route, just to avoid morning rush hour traffic. As for sporty cars, I got that out of my system in my 20s.
I was in one of those. I was saved because I was wearing my flack jacket and helmet. Took a bobtail truck flying off a bridge transition abutment smashed through the top of the concrete bridge pylon that was under construction. I was lucky I hit that or I would be dead right now as the truck was going inverted and would have landed on the top of the cab. I picked the wrong place to drop a tire off the asphalt in the construction area. 10 inch drops are no joke doing 65 70.

I'm about 4 miles from my office. The drive is only 6 or 7 minutes before 8am or after 7pm. At 8am it might take 20 minutes and I've had people on bicycles get there faster than me.

A simple topic here.

So, how long for you?
I walk downstairs and log on. I have been a work at home employee since 2003.

One thing really wonderful about retirement is you no longer have to spend a good part of your day creeping along on the freeway coming and going. Orange barrels and cones have been part of the lives of Ohioans for decades. I-71 270, 315, 23, I-75, seem to be under constant construction that makes commuting a nightmare. Speed limit is 70 mph yet you find yourself creeping along at about 20.

I own a couple of Triumph Spitfire 1500's and two of the last generation Pontiac Trans AMs one being a custom Bandit style machine and the other Blackbird. It's almost a requirement if you were a trucker and have a Pontiac TA that it be a Bandit car. There are times I have a need for speed. Hwy 50 in Nevada is nice lonely road I visit when I have that need, and want to stretch my machines legs. One of the many benefits of being a trucker is knowing many very lonely roads that are very lovely and scenic drives. I had to modify the T-tops to be able handle the speed my unit are capable of. 6 latches instead of two. The modification helps with weather tightness too. Weird thing is when I drive truck I rarely exceed 65 mph even the western states where you can go 80, even though I owned triple digit tractors. Paying for the go go juice tends to pull one's foot out of the throttle. The difference in fuel consumption can be huge between 65 and 75 mph. Aerodynamics starts to come into play around 55 and starts an exponential curve in power required to move.

I want to build a special Cannonball car with an efficient diesel motor and huge tankage to make the trip from New York to Long Beach nonstop.

2002? the last generation TAs were sharp. i have been watching a lot of Jay Leno's garage, and he has one. i've wanted one of the 1979 era TAs since i was a kid.

2002? the last generation TAs were sharp. i have been watching a lot of Jay Leno's garage, and he has one. i've wanted one of the 1979 era TAs since i was a kid.

I have a 1998 and a 2000 thats the 4th gen body style same as the 02 and 1998 is the first year they put the LS1 motors in them. I built them near identical with supercharged LS6 motors and and the 4L60E transmissions setup with an GearVendors overdrive module on the tail that converts them from 4 speed to 8 speed. They are putting down 500hp to the ground. I would like a 1977 through 1979, resto modded with LS7 motor and a 8 speed transmission. Maybe we shall see. I may just stick with building a boat instead.

I just drove one of the new hemi Hellcat Chargers today. Damn what they have coming from the factory today is amazing. It will give my TA's the fits. I would never drive one of those things without traction control enabled, on a public highway. They are ****ing scary fast in acceleration. Driving in the rain would be an adventure I would not do. I can see and feel why they get wrapped around poles alot. Where my TA's still beat them is in road handling and high speed stability but my solutions are custom. Dodge makes a version called the Demon that has a lot more power. I am not sure I want ride in a beast like that.

I have a 1998 and a 2000 thats the 4th gen body style same as the 02 and 1998 is the first year they put the LS1 motors in them. I built them near identical with supercharged LS6 motors and and the 4L60E transmissions setup with an GearVendors overdrive module on the tail that converts them from 4 speed to 8 speed. They are putting down 500hp to the ground. I would like a 1977 through 1979, resto modded with LS7 motor and a 8 speed transmission. Maybe we shall see. I may just stick with building a boat instead.

I just drove one of the new hemi Hellcat Chargers today. Damn what they have coming from the factory today is amazing. It will give my TA's the fits. I would never drive one of those things without traction control enabled, on a public highway. They are ****ing scary fast in acceleration. Driving in the rain would be an adventure I would not do. I can see and feel why they get wrapped around poles alot. Where my TA's still beat them is in road handling and high speed stability but my solutions are custom. Dodge makes a version called the Demon that has a lot more power. I am not sure I want ride in a beast like that.

500hp is beyond impressive.

i hadn't heard of the Hellcat, so i looked up a video about the Redeye. 797 HP? man. had to smile.

A simple topic here.

So, how long for you?

At a good clip, it takes me a tad less than ten minutes to drive from our home to my office. It can barely be called a “commute” at all. One of the best things to be said about living in a small city, I must say.

I was in one of those. I was saved because I was wearing my flack jacket and helmet. Took a bobtail truck flying off a bridge transition abutment smashed through the top of the concrete bridge pylon that was under construction. I was lucky I hit that or I would be dead right now as the truck was going inverted and would have landed on the top of the cab. I picked the wrong place to drop a tire off the asphalt in the construction area. 10 inch drops are no joke doing 65 70.

Sounds worse then mine...which was about a 55mph crash. I ended up with a fractured sternum and a bruised heart. I'm quite sure seat belt and airbags saved me.

Back
Top Bottom