• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Youngkin prepares to wade into national politics

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin is preparing to take a step into national politics by launching a pair of new political groups ahead of the midterm election.

Youngkin’s new operation will allow him to wade into gubernatorial races across the country on behalf of GOP candidates. Youngkin can also use the apparatus to target a pair of Democratic House members in Virginia whom Republicans are looking to unseat.

--

The Republican Party might seem to have a dichotomy on their hands!

Two rising stars, in DeSantis & Youngkin, each of very different cloth. One is an affirmed hard-core Trump ideologist, the other is a moderate who ran a campaign with some distance from Trump.

Which ideology will prevail in the future of the Republican Party? That's quite a question! I'd argue that for the immediate election, the Party needs both ideologies, tailored for the individual electorates across the country. After all, VA is not AL!

But in the long run over the years, nationally, I believe the Party is best served by a Youngkin type candidate.

What says you?

--

Two rising stars, in DeSantis & Youngkin, each of very different cloth. One is an affirmed hard-core Trump ideologist, the other is a moderate who ran a campaign with some distance from Trump.

Which ideology will prevail in the future of the Republican Party? That's quite a question! I'd argue that for the immediate election, the Party needs both ideologies, tailored for the individual electorates across the country. After all, VA is not AL!

But in the long run over the years, nationally, I believe the Party is best served by a Youngkin type candidate.

What says you?
Because Youngkin pretends not to be like djt? Have you seen what he has done in PA?

--

What says you?
What do you see as the difference in "ideologies" that make them incompatible?

What do you see as the difference in "ideologies" that make them incompatible?

It might not be pure 'ideology' in policy terms, as in the way the men go about campaigning and packaging & presenting the 'Trump Message'.

This article, below, touches on it:

It might not be pure 'ideology' in policy terms, as in the way the men go about campaigning and packaging & presenting the 'Trump Message'.

This article, below, touches on it:

Hmmm. I wouldn't put much stock in a severe TDS suffering academic at the Obama Presidency Oral History Project predicting the GOP is "imperiling American democracy."

Ring a bell? His candidacy was based on supporting this typew of crap.

Yes, that's a valid point.

I believe his first act was an education E.O. concerning this.

Fair enough.

However he avoided other key Trumpian ideologies, for example the 'Big Lie'.

I'm surely not going to defend or support him, but I am musing over the future of the Party on the national stage. I'm not convinced full-on Trumpism can succeed in the Presidency, even while it is required for much of the GOP base.

DeSantis is going to be the 2024 GOP Presidential candidate. IF he gets beat, it will be because the GOP is viewed as too extreme, which can only help Youngkin,

--

What says you?

Youngkin is not a moderate.

I think Youngkin could pull it off.

I think Youngkin could pull it off.

He's amazingly intelligent and perceptive, IMO.

Remember, he's a political neophyte. And, look what he accomplished. Amazing.

Fair enough.

The Big Lie? That is a reference to his allegation that the election was stolen, correct? (Just to clarify it from all the other "big lie" allegations over his term.)

I will go out on a limb and say that perhaps those in the future reflecting on the past, with more access to records and investigatory techniques, may very well show (as a recent special prosecutor's investigation currently presents regarding retirement home voting malfeasance in Wisconsin) that there WERE a number of issues with the 2020 elections. After all, when drastic and often last minute changes in elections rules around the nation occur, there will be opportunity for fraud.

Time will tell, while not making a whit of difference in the historical outcome.

But I agree, it would be best for any candidate, including Trump should he (hopefully not) seek to run again come 2024.

I'm surely not going to defend or support him, but I am musing over the future of the Party on the national stage. I'm not convinced full-on Trumpism can succeed in the Presidency, even while it is required for much of the GOP base.

I still don't know what "full-on Trumpism" is defined as, it has been given so many "elements." Often elements his opposition appears guilty of.

What I do know is that more and more Americans seem to be concerned about the extreme actions taken by the current Administration. I refer to their thinking that they had an absolute mandate to try to enact all these "extreme" agendas, when that does not seem to reflect many of those who voted for the change in leadership. By that I mean an "anti-Trump" vote did not signal a "pro-SJW" political shift, as opposed to just another "lesser of two projected evils."

Last edited:
Like I said, to call him 'a moderate' was inaccurate.

Alright.

He's amazingly intelligent and perceptive, IMO.

Remember, he's a political neophyte. And, look what he accomplished. Amazing.

Youngkin won because of (1) Gillespie's out-of-context quote about parents in the classroom, (2) the Virginia governor's race almost always goes to the party not in power, (3) Gillespie didn't hit back hard enough, and (4) Youngkin managed to run on a fascist campaign free from Trump.

Whether he could take this to the rest of the country remains to be seen. But with right-wing fascism alive and well in America right now, he just might. :oops:

That's not saying much.

You're missing the point.

We're comparing the two men in terms of their 'Trumpism', and their abilities to move the Party forward in its current Trumpian guise. I'm operating under the premise the Party is going to be Trumpian for the near future.

You're missing the point.

We're comparing the two men in terms of their 'Trumpism', and their abilities to move the Party forward in its current Trumpian guise. I'm operating under the premise the Party is going to be Trumpian for the near future.

Are you suggesting that Youngkin is not the absolute most extreme that the GQP is coming up with, which would be DeSantis or Abbott right now?

Fair enough.

Let's see what happens in the primaries. In general, I disagree with your assessment of Youngkin.

"Mr. Youngkin is a virtuoso of verbal misdirection. In the course of his campaign he has insisted by twists and turns that his top priority is election integrity, thereby casting doubt on whether past elections have been fair; then declared that Virginia elections have indeed been free of fraud; then dodged questions about whether he would have certified President Biden’s victory; then conceded Mr. Biden’s win was “certifiably fair.” Now, unbidden, he has returned to the subject, asserting that the state’s voting machines must be “audited.”

Unlikely that Youngkin will make it on the national stage past the Trump establishment over the Republican Party (I know it worked there, unsure it will pull off key States like Florida and Texas.)

The Big Lie? That is a reference to his allegation that the election was stolen, correct? (Just to clarify it from all the other "big lie" allegations over his term.)

Yes. The Big Lie refers to the bolded.

I will go out on a limb and say that perhaps those in the future reflecting on the past, with more access to records and investigatory techniques, may very well show (as a recent special prosecutor's investigation currently presents regarding retirement home voting malfeasance in Wisconsin) that there WERE a number of issues with the 2020 elections. After all, when drastic and often last minute changes in elections rules around the nation occur, there will be opportunity for fraud.

Time will tell, while not making a whit of difference in the historical outcome.

Go on the limb, if you feel you must, but don't expect me to follow!

But I agree, it would be best for any candidate, including Trump should he (hopefully not) seek to run again come 2024.

Agreed.

But the Trump hard-core supports will still be there, and will need to be motivated to come out.

I still don't know what "full-on Trumpism" is defined as, it has been given so many "elements." Often elements his opposition appears guilty of.

Yeah, I get that.

Basically, I'm referring to the entire package of Trump, not just policy & ideology. His nature is part of it.

What I do know is that more and more Americans seem to be concerned about the extreme actions taken by the current Administration. I refer to their thinking that they had an absolute mandate to try to enact all these "extreme" agendas, when that does not seem to reflect many of those who voted for the change in leadership. By that I mean an "anti-Trump" vote did not signal a "pro-SJW" political shift.

Biden's current popularity would seem to validate some of your opinion above, but Biden's popularity is lost among the more progressive Liberals too, who see a stalled agenda.

We can't discount how much of an anti-Trump vote Biden represented, though. And now that the primary task of removing Trump was accomplished, some might be realizing the rest doesn't have the same appeal.

What says you?
I think the GOP would be better served by candidates that aren't openly anti-LGBTQ. Youngkin is despicable.

Back
Top Bottom