• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Youngkin prepares to wade into national politics

Let's see what happens in the primaries. In general, I disagree with your assessment of Youngkin.

"Mr. Youngkin is a virtuoso of verbal misdirection. In the course of his campaign he has insisted by twists and turns that his top priority is election integrity, thereby casting doubt on whether past elections have been fair; then declared that Virginia elections have indeed been free of fraud; then dodged questions about whether he would have certified President Biden’s victory; then conceded Mr. Biden’s win was “certifiably fair.” Now, unbidden, he has returned to the subject, asserting that the state’s voting machines must be “audited.”

But the bolded is part of it. He's "toning down" the rhetoric & presentation. That's part of the 'more moderate' package I'm speaking of.

Trump wasn't removed from office by the voters specifically due to policy. They removed, 'him'! Many, myself included, simply can't stand him or his ways. Youngkin' delivery addresses that somewhat.

I’m gonna invest in outdoor vests……..$$$$

But the bolded is part of it. He's "toning down" the rhetoric & presentation. That's part of the 'more moderate' package I'm speaking of.

Trump wasn't removed from office by the voters specifically due to policy. They removed, 'him'! Many, myself included, simply can't stand him or his ways. Youngkin' delivery addresses that somewhat.
I'd rather the wolf appear as a wolf and not dressed as a sheep.

I’m not sure he is going to make the top spot but he is probably already on a few short lists for VP in preparation for 2024

Ring a bell? His candidacy was based on supporting this typew of crap.
And many Virginians are none too happy about the outcome. Lots of buyer remorse here. Youngkin pulled the basic republican con during his campaign and then went full Trumpism once elected. That's not what VA wanted. It was a close race, and we won't let that happen again.

--

The Republican Party might seem to have a dichotomy on their hands!

Two rising stars, in DeSantis & Youngkin, each of very different cloth. One is an affirmed hard-core Trump ideologist, the other is a moderate who ran a campaign with some distance from Trump.

Which ideology will prevail in the future of the Republican Party? That's quite a question! I'd argue that for the immediate election, the Party needs both ideologies, tailored for the individual electorates across the country. After all, VA is not AL!

But in the long run over the years, nationally, I believe the Party is best served by a Youngkin type candidate.

What says you?
"Two rising stars, in DeSantis & Youngkin, each of very different cloth. One is an affirmed hard-core Trump ideologist, the other is a moderate who ran a campaign with some distance from Trump" should convey that the GOP is a big tent organization and that Trump is just as relevant as Jimmy Carter, both failed Presidents.

Down (and out) with the rotten Republican Party!

And many Virginians are none too happy about the outcome. Lots of buyer remorse here. Youngkin pulled the basic republican con during his campaign and then went full Trumpism once elected. That's not what VA wanted. It was a close race, and we won't let that happen again.
I can see how Northern VA may feel that way but in the western part of the state and here in Hampton Roads he is doin ok

The Big Lie? That is a reference to his allegation that the election was stolen, correct? (Just to clarify it from all the other "big lie" allegations over his term.)

I will go out on a limb and say that perhaps those in the future reflecting on the past, with more access to records and investigatory techniques, may very well show (as a recent special prosecutor's investigation currently presents regarding retirement home voting malfeasance in Wisconsin) that there WERE a number of issues with the 2020 elections. After all, when drastic and often last minute changes in elections rules around the nation occur, there will be opportunity for fraud.

Time will tell, while not making a whit of difference in the historical outcome.

But I agree, it would be best for any candidate, including Trump should he (hopefully not) seek to run again come 2024.

I still don't know what "full-on Trumpism" is defined as, it has been given so many "elements." Often elements his opposition appears guilty of.

What I do know is that more and more Americans seem to be concerned about the extreme actions taken by the current Administration. I refer to their thinking that they had an absolute mandate to try to enact all these "extreme" agendas, when that does not seem to reflect many of those who voted for the change in leadership. By that I mean an "anti-Trump" vote did not signal a "pro-SJW" political shift, as opposed to just another "lesser of two projected evils."
Time has already told. Move on.

Just what the country needs, more cultural warriors.

That's good to hear. Good luck.

--

Two rising stars, in DeSantis & Youngkin, each of very different cloth. One is an affirmed hard-core Trump ideologist, the other is a moderate who ran a campaign with some distance from Trump.

Which ideology will prevail in the future of the Republican Party?
That's quite a question! I'd argue that for the immediate election, the Party needs both ideologies, tailored for the individual electorates across the country. After all, VA is not AL!

But in the long run over the years, nationally, I believe the Party is best served by a Youngkin type candidate.

What says you?
Hopefully the latter.

Why should we need more than one party? Has a familiar ring to it.

We need more than two dominant parties, and the Republican Party needs to go- they're done.

I'm not convinced full-on Trumpism can succeed in the Presidency, even while it is required for much of the GOP base.
What does "full-on Trumpism" mean? Which specific policies define "full-on Trumpism" Securing the border? Energy independence? Peace through strength? Empowering parents?

"went full Trumpism once elected" What does rhat mean?

I'd rather the wolf appear as a wolf and not dressed as a sheep.

But the topic is not about reaching you (unless you might consider Trumpian GOP?).

The topic is about what might be the best way forward for the GOP nationally, given they are married to Trump & his baggage in terms of appeasing his followers.

--

Which ideology will prevail in the future of the Republican Party? That's quite a question! I'd argue that for the immediate election, the Party needs both ideologies, tailored for the individual electorates across the country. After all, VA is not AL!

What says you?
YOungkin isn't really a moderate, he just plays one on TV,

"Two rising stars, in DeSantis & Youngkin, each of very different cloth. One is an affirmed hard-core Trump ideologist, the other is a moderate who ran a campaign with some distance from Trump" should convey that the GOP is a big tent organization and that Trump is just as relevant as Jimmy Carter, both failed Presidents.
trump is an idiot...
-peace
1650619137024.png

Virginia is a blueish state, so Youngkin was able to pull off distancing himself from Trump when campaigning.

But nationally? He has no chance in the GOP primaries without appealing to the Trump base, which means he would have to embrace Trump fully to have a chance. Plus, DeSantis is a well known commodity, and is the most popular GOP politician not named Trump. If Trump were to croak before 2024, the GOP nomination by default would go to DeSantis. It wouldn't even be close.

--

What says you?

Good. I'll vote for him over DeSantis and certainly before Trump.

Back
Top Bottom