• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Young Voters Keep Moving to the Left on Social Issues, Republicans Included

OscarLevant

Gadfly Extraordinaire
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Bad news for righties, US is going blue

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/23/us/gop-liberal-america-millennials.html

As a self-described political conservative, Reagan Larson might seem to be a natural fit for the Republican Party. The 19-year-old college student from South Dakota grew up in a Catholic household that objected to same-sex marriage, and she remains firmly opposed to abortion.

But in many ways, that is where the ideological similarities end. Ms. Larson, a dual major in biology and Spanish at Gustavus Adolphus College in St. Peter, Minn., does not oppose the legalization of marriage equality. She views climate change as undeniable, believes “immigrants make our country richer,” and disagrees with her parents on the need for a border wall.

Ms. Larson is part of Generation Z, one of the*most ethnically diverse and progressive age groups*in American history. People born after 1996 tend to espouse similar views to the age cohort just ahead of them, the Millennials, but they are far more open to social change than older generations have been, according to the findings of a*new report by the Pew Research Center. The findings mark a shift that could substantially reshape the nation’s political and economic landscape.

and going broke. :mrgreen:

It is interesting that "migrant" is used to include illegal aliens.

How will that work if she is firmly opposed to abortion?

On the other hand, many young voters start out as Liberals. I know I was very idealistic when I was young, until reality hit. I see the same thing in my daughter, and she's already learning some life lessons that has worn a little of that idealism off her.

Sad, but it happens.

I think part of that is due to he Christian Right losing its influence.

Maybe. But I have been hearing this since Reagan's time, and the country is far more to the right now than it ever was in the 1980s. I am not sure how to explain that, except maybe that as the demographics of conservatism becomes smaller over time, the voice and positions of those still adhering to it become ever more shrill, desperate, radical, and unhinged.

On the other hand, many young voters start out as Liberals. I know I was very idealistic when I was young, until reality hit. I see the same thing in my daughter, and she's already learning some life lessons that has worn a little of that idealism off her.

Sad, but it happens.

I do believe, on average, there is a tendency to shift to the right with age. But I also believe that the starting base line is further to the left with each generation. The likely result is even if they become more conservative, they aren’t likely to be as conservative as their parents when they reach their parents’ age. Again, this is generalizing.

I agree with the OP, but the problem is that the youth is also self segregating themselves. They are pouring out of Ohio, Missouri, New England etc and heading for California, New York, Washington etc. What that does is make redder states redder and bluer states bluer. The entire northern tier of the US is getting whiter and older. Thats problematic for the electoral college.

Not surprising.

Social media has connected American youth of the last generation with sources of information (and indoctrination) outside the normal avenues of educational systems and family traditions. This includes (negative) external foreign agency propaganda efforts, along with the positive connections with common citizens around the world.

In the USA, the educational system has been leaning more Progressive-Left as many "hippies" (not a perjorative, I lived back then and had many "hippie" friends who opposed the Vietnam War as I did) grew out of the "tune in, turn on, and drop out" phase and with other left-leaning liberal community members, went into educational fields to teach future youth their ideology. (Yes that is an over-simplification, but IMO true none-the-less.)

This combination has indoctrinated many young minds into the trend of emotional rather than rational thinking which, while IMO often laudable in theory, is impractical in reality.

So I am not surprised at the trend, having lived through and observed the changes to date.

Last edited:
I do believe, on average, there is a tendency to shift to the right with age. But I also believe that the starting base line is further to the left with each generation. The likely result is even if the become more conservative, they aren’t likely to be as conservative as their parents when they reach their parents’ age. Again, this is generalizing.

You know, I have been hearing that my whole life too. But as I myself have aged, I have found myself shifting more to the left. Maybe because I have begun to have more of an appreciation and understanding of how precarious and vulnerable all of our economic positions are in life, how contingent our successes and failures are on things which are completely outside our control, like what family and demographic and even geography we are born into. I have also found it increasingly difficult to blame people who hit hard times for just being stupid and lazy, or deify those who do well for just being smart and hard working. I also have found myself with a deeper appreciation of concepts of justice, fairness, and empathy.

Maybe. But I have been hearing this since Reagan's time, and the country is far more to the right now than it ever was in the 1980s. I am not sure how to explain that, except maybe that as the demographics of conservatism becomes smaller over time, the voice and positions of those still adhering to it become ever more shrill, desperate, radical, and unhinged.

A large majority of the right are pissed off (white) guys who don't want to share. It was different in the 80s and they pretended to have principles. This was also before Fox News.

It is interesting that "migrant" is used to include illegal aliens.

Any foreigner coming to this country would by definition be a migrant regardless of their legal status. If you understand that legal immigrants make us richer, and you understand the only difference between legal and illegal immigrants is that they hold a piece of paper then it's really not that complicated to recognize that undocumented immigrants make us richer as well.

Not surprising.

Social media is providing the youth of the last generation with sources of information (and indoctrination) outside the normal avenues of educational systems and family traditions.

In the USA, the educational system has been leaning more Progressive-Left as many "hippies" (not a perjorative, I lived back then and had many "hippie" friends who opposed the Vietnam War as I did) grew out of the "tune in turn on, and drop out" phase and with other left-leaning liberal community members, went into educational fields to teach future youth their ideology. (Yes that is an over-simplification, but IMO true none-the-less.)

This combination has indoctrinated many young minds into the trend of emotional rather than rational thinking which, while IMO often laudable in theory, is impractical in reality.

So I am not surprised at the trend, having lived through and observed the changes to date.

Just b/c you are not emotional (and make no mistake I've seen you plenty emotional) does not mean you know what you are talking about.

I do believe, on average, there is a tendency to shift to the right with age. But I also believe that the starting base line is further to the left with each generation. The likely result is even if they become more conservative, they aren’t likely to be as conservative as their parents when they reach their parents’ age. Again, this is generalizing.

The older I get, I'm going more left. Does that mean I'm getting younger???:lamo

One can be firmly against abortion (for themselves), yet hold the view that women have the right to choose. Being pro-life for ones own views and being pro-choice for others is not mutually exclusive.

MOst of the time young people are liberal. THe old folks just want to keep things the way it has been. Also, how many people are liberals in their use and once they get theirs they become conservative. They are doing well and just want to keep more and more money. I think these people are hypocrites that once they start making money they no longer want to be taxed, while they were likely beneficiaries of tax payer money

Really? MJ is being legalized all over. Gay marriage is settled law. The social trends tend to go left, and I don't see that changing.

Not surprising.

Social media, which has connected American youth of the last generation with sources of information (and indoctrination) outside the normal avenues of educational systems and family traditions. This includes (negative) external foreign agency propaganda efforts, along with the positive connections with common citizens around the world.

In the USA, the educational system has been leaning more Progressive-Left as many "hippies" (not a perjorative, I lived back then and had many "hippie" friends who opposed the Vietnam War as I did) grew out of the "tune in turn on, and drop out" phase and with other left-leaning liberal community members, went into educational fields to teach future youth their ideology. (Yes that is an over-simplification, but IMO true none-the-less.)

Yeah it's funny how many people on the right call public schools "indoctrination" yet call religious teachings "enlightenment". :roll:

You know the difference between a psychopath and a normal person? Emotions.

Psychopaths are the way they are, not because they are irrational. There is nothing irrational about hurting and stepping on others to get ahead, and having no sense of empathy or remorse. Many psychopaths are extremely coldly rational- even in the genius range sometimes.

We must not dismiss so readily the role of emotions in making wise and healthy decisions.

Psychopaths are the way they are, not because they are irrational. There is nothing irrational about hurting and stepping on others to get ahead, and having no sense of empathy or remorse.

We must not dismiss so readily the role of emotions in making wise and healthy decisions.

I think you are on to something there. :lol:

A large majority of the right are pissed off (white) guys who don't want to share. It was different in the 80s and they pretended to have principles. This was also before Fox News.

Exactly, the rich got a taste of what they can do to make themselves even richer by really playing up the "tax cuts creates jobs BS". The more wealth started to accumulate at the top, the more money they flooded into media and campaigns to influence poilticans. It snowballed from there. And since the mega rich own all the media and news, they control the narrative to push ignorant people into believe the people who have it all need even more.

Also, a huge part if Fox news, just brainwashing so many people with lies and teaching them that if they don't like facts, jsut claim its bias. And that if you want something to be true, just keep saying it over and over again, no need to back it up with facts. Just lie. and made even worse by the internet where anybody can post any stupid thing and call it "news". Even so much as allowing foreign powers to easily manipulate people.

And so we have a large group of people who worship greed and cheer the people that run a train on them while they are distracted by dumb ****

and a large majority of the left are losers who want others to take care of them, or worse, power hungry control freaks who want to run others' lives

I was solidly Left until 3rd wave feminist started claiming that I was evil solely because I'm a white male, and then started having tissy fits when ever I used the "wrong" word ...regardless of context or intent.

The older I get, I'm going more left. Does that mean I'm getting younger???:lamo

Same goes for me. As a kid, I was far more conservative. I was an Alex Keaton conservative.

But then I grew up, and reality hit. Becoming more liberal was a part of my maturation process.

Just b/c you are not emotional (and make no mistake I've seen you plenty emotional) does not mean you know what you are talking about.

That is a red herring response (or in your case perhaps meant as an ad hominin?). Nor does it have anything to do with my point.

Psychopaths are the way they are, not because they are irrational. There is nothing irrational about hurting and stepping on others to get ahead, and having no sense of empathy or remorse. Many psychopaths are extremely coldly rational- even in the genius range sometimes.

Again, false equivalence. Emotions have their place.

However, making decisions based solely on appeals to one's emotions often leads to major mistakes; as letting one's "heart" decide a course of action rather than thinking about the consequences of "reacting" often leads to bad ends for both the actor and the one they are trying to aid.

Last edited:
Not surprising.

Social media has connected American youth of the last generation with sources of information (and indoctrination) outside the normal avenues of educational systems and family traditions. This includes (negative) external foreign agency propaganda efforts, along with the positive connections with common citizens around the world.

In the USA, the educational system has been leaning more Progressive-Left as many "hippies" (not a perjorative, I lived back then and had many "hippie" friends who opposed the Vietnam War as I did) grew out of the "tune in, turn on, and drop out" phase and with other left-leaning liberal community members, went into educational fields to teach future youth their ideology. (Yes that is an over-simplification, but IMO true none-the-less.)

Most of the youth I know are an odd combo of being very liberal and yet libertarian. They want hands off in regards to a lot of govt interference on many issues but are very liberal. I do think over time they will end up more fiscally conservative and socially liberal. Things we argue about today as far as social issues wont matter to them in 30 years.

Back
Top Bottom