• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Young voters back Democrats. That alone could be the death of the GOP

Young people today are far more informed on how to use critical thinking skills than any generation that has existed before they...

That is where I stop short of praising them.

Young people have been raised on social media, and many of them get their news there. People who do that are going to be highly uninformed.

Young voters back Democrats. That alone could be the death of the GOP

157693163.jpg

The above explains one of the overarching reasons why Republican state legislatures across the country are currently engaged in passing laws which limit voting.

Rather than alter their discriminatory social policies (and their blooming affection for authoritarianism), Republicans have decided to pass new laws which cherry-pick who can vote.

Both of your statements are intellectually dishonest The republican state legislatures are passing no laws that limit voting. Everyone who is legally registered to vote can vote.

Both of your statements are intellectually dishonest The republican state legislatures are passing no laws that limit voting. Everyone who is legally registered to vote can vote.

They just aim super restrictive measures at areas where lots and lots of Black people live. Yknow. Cause of all the fraud.

If a state passed a law that only allowed voting between the hours of 9pm and 12am for a two week period and did not allow absentee voting except for those physically not in the state during those times would that be voter suppression?

I would like to restate your comments in more elegant & gentle language.

When Frau Merkel asked Sweden to let in lady & gentleman refugees from the Middle East, Sweden -- IMHO -- made a fatal mistake.

Those refugees are, of course, lovely people. I think that they are famous for their hospitality.

They just have a different culture from the culture enjoyed by the Swedish people.

I have even read a thread here at this website about some of the negative influences in Sweden created by not a few refugees.

So, IMHO, Sweden has committed social suicide.

Have a nice day!
... and some of them, I assume, are good people.

If a state passed a law that only allowed voting between the hours of 9pm and 12am for a two week period and did not allow absentee voting except for those physically not in the state during those times would that be voter suppression?

I am for the traditional voting hours of 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM and keeping the polls open as long as people are still in line to vote. In regards to absentee balloting, it should require a legitimate excuse. Either way, it's the state legislatures that have the power to make those voting laws.

... and some of them, I assume, are good people.

Of course, some are.

In fact, most of them probably are "good people."

But they have another culture, which is -- of course -- fine! But it's not Swedish culture.

Why Sweden has allowed this to happen is beyond belief.

I am for the traditional voting hours of 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM and keeping the polls open as long as people are still in line to vote. In regards to absentee balloting, it should require a legitimate excuse. Either way, it's the state legislatures that have the power to make those voting laws.

Thank you for sharing how you feel. Now, back to the question, if polls are open from 9pm to 12am would this suppress the vote?

Absent any qualifying medical conditions, should age alone entitle you to an absentee vote?

Of course, some are.

In fact, most of them probably are "good people."

But they have another culture, which is -- of course -- fine! But it's not Swedish culture.

Why Sweden has allowed this to happen is beyond belief.
Egalitarians know there are some bad dudes in every group. Saying that you believe culture has anything to do with the success of a liberal western democracy is odd in itself. I think it’s an old way of thinking. The world is going global whether anyone likes it or not. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Thank you for sharing how you feel. Now, back to the question, if polls are open from 9pm to 12am would this suppress the vote?

Absent any qualifying medical conditions, should age alone entitle you to an absentee vote?

On the 9PM top 12AM.....simply not necessary. As for absentee ballots, if they we only given to those registered voters who requested them, valid state ID was shown to get them, and other common sense security measures are followed, I would not have a problem with them.

On the 9PM top 12AM.....simply not necessary. As for absentee ballots, if they we only given to those registered voters who requested them, valid state ID was shown to get them, and other common sense security measures are followed, I would not have a problem with them.

LOL... Why wouldn’t opening polls from 9pm to 12am be acceptable regardless of whether it’s “necessary”? Would it suppress some voters? Who?

How does one show a valid ID to get an absentee ballot? Do you go somewhere sign in and present the ID?

LOL... Why wouldn’t opening polls from 9pm to 12am be acceptable regardless of whether it’s “necessary”? Would it suppress some voters? Who?

That falls under the category of "give a librul an inch and they will take a mile". It would never end. You would then say, why not 48 hours, a week, a month.
We have done okay with a 12 hour window on election day and traditional absentee ballots for quite some time, I am 67 and have never in my adult life had a problem voting between 7:00 AM and 7:00 PM. It's really not difficult.

How does one show a valid ID to get an absentee ballot? Do you go somewhere sign in and present the ID?

At the Voter Registrar's office, where most register to vote to begin with.

Egalitarians know there are some bad dudes in every group. Saying that you believe culture has anything to do with the success of a liberal western democracy is odd in itself. I think it’s an old way of thinking. The world is going global whether anyone likes it or not. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Oh, you are so right.

A liberal magazine (either the London or the New York Review of Books) recently quoted some demographers who predicted that eventually up to 25% of the European population could be sub-Saharan African.

And the current population profile of this country is, as you say, just the "tip of the iceberg." By the next century, this country will not be recognizable.

And many people will be very happy. (I bet their great-grandchildren won't be.)

That falls under the category of "give a librul an inch and they will take a mile". It would never end. You would then say, why not 48 hours, a week, a month.
We have done okay with a 12 hour window on election day and traditional absentee ballots for quite some time, I am 67 and have never in my adult life had a problem voting between 7:00 AM and 7:00 PM. It's really not difficult.

Why do you suppose the new Georgia law makes the 12 hour window optional at the county level?

The law only requires polls be open from 9-5

At the Voter Registrar's office, where most register to vote to begin with.

If a voter can make it to the registrars office to show an id, why can they not vote in person? How does a voter out of the state show up to present an id?

Young people tend to be lib to begin with, and more con as they get older. However, it's a bit more lopsided now than before. So, a higher % will remain lib than before is the calculation there.
I started out Republican...voted for Reagan my first election. Got more and more Dem as I went. I'm still a pretty moderate Dem tho, more of a Blue Dog Dem. I dont necessarily vote a straight Dem ticket altho the insanity of the current GOP makes me want to see as few of them in office as possible.

OTOH, when I see people like Bernie Sanders running, I want to run for the hills...he's exactly what I and even moderate Republicans fear. He's a nice man, but no way in Hell do I want to see him or most of his ideas driving our country. People like him do more damage in driving that fear in the right.

Why do you suppose the new Georgia law makes the 12 hour window optional at the county level?

The law only requires polls be open from 9-5

If a voter can make it to the registrars office to show an id, why can they not vote in person? How does a voter out of the state show up to present an id?

Are you not aware that traditionally, the primary reason for requesting an absentee ballot is that you will be out of town or state on election day? You do not wait until election day to request an absentee ballot.

Are you not aware that traditionally, the primary reason for requesting an absentee ballot is that you will be out of town or state on election day? You do not wait until election day to request an absentee ballot.

So soldiers deployed overseas should plan better? That would be a violation of the federal law on overseas voters (https://ballotpedia.org/Military_and_Overseas_Voter_Empowerment_(MOVE)_Act)...

No thoughts on Georgia's 9-5 voting? Do you think that will suppress the vote?

Oh, you are so right.

A liberal magazine (either the London or the New York Review of Books) recently quoted some demographers who predicted that eventually up to 25% of the European population could be sub-Saharan African.

And the current population profile of this country is, as you say, just the "tip of the iceberg." By the next century, this country will not be recognizable.

Are you conflating culture with skin color? Sorry, I’m not clued-in to the lingo.

So soldiers deployed overseas should plan better? That would be a violation of the federal law on overseas voters (https://ballotpedia.org/Military_and_Overseas_Voter_Empowerment_(MOVE)_Act)...

No thoughts on Georgia's 9-5 voting? Do you think that will suppress the vote?

US soldiers overseas do plan better. They get their ballots in on time. As for Georgia's so called 9 to 5 voting, it's a county by county issue and the 9-to 5 is just a minimum.. The new Georgia law allows 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM. And no, I don't think it suppresses the vote in everyone in such county is informed about it and everyone who gets in line is allowed to vote.

US soldiers overseas do plan better. They get their ballots in on time. As for Georgia's so called 9 to 5 voting, it's a county by county issue and the 9-to 5 is just a minimum.. The new Georgia law allows 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM. And no, I don't think it suppresses the vote in everyone in such county is informed about it and everyone who gets in line is allowed to vote.

Is this based on your experience serving overseas? LMAO... How do they show their ID at the registrars office like you said?

If a county only implements the minimum, does it suppress the vote?

Is this based on your experience serving overseas? LMAO... How do they show their ID at the registrars office like you said?

Ever heard of a military ID card? As for showing it today, there are ways to verify ID electronically backed up by notary publics.

If a county only implements the minimum, does it suppress the vote?

Probably not as absentee balloting is still available and there is still some early voting. And once again, it's just a minimum. Chances are 7:00AM to 7:00 PM will be followed in the entire state. I doubt any county will want to suffer the wrath of the lame stream media.

Ever heard of a military ID card? As for showing it today, there are ways to verify ID electronically backed up by notary publics.

Probably not as absentee balloting is still available and there is still some early voting. And once again, it's just a minimum. Chances are 7:00AM to 7:00 PM will be followed in the entire state. I doubt any county will want to suffer the wrath of the lame stream media.

Do they fly back to show their ID card at the registrars office? I served overseas and never heard of anyone flying back to present their ID... LMAO... Overseas voters not in the military do not have military ID cards...

Do they fly back to show their ID card at the registrars office? I served overseas and never heard of anyone flying back to present their ID... LMAO... Overseas voters not in the military do not have military ID cards...

Yawn........

Young people grow up, live in the real world, and realize the rainbows and unicorns aren't real.
rainbows and unicorns? you mean like stolen elections and Trump was anointed by God?
I will bet my bottom dollar young people are smarter than some grown ups who comment on here.
😂

Oh, you are so right.

😂

What a hilariously sad moral victory you're claiming. One day their great grandchildren might not be too happy... 🤣

Back
Top Bottom