• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Young People Made It Clear: Abortion Rights Must Be Codified

Young People Made It Clear: Abortion Rights Must Be Codified

Across the country, Gen Z and millennial voters prioritized abortion during the 2022 midterm elections. Will their historic turnout be rewarded?​

At Harvard, law school students organized a 75-person walkout during a panel discussion hosted by Harvard Law Students for Life.

At the University of Wisconsin–Madison, junior Yasmeen Khalid noticed how organizers urged their peers to cast ballots on campus. She saw people distributing brochures that listed all the reasons why individuals should support the Democratic Party, including the fact that they defend the right to an abortion. She feels satisfied with the outcome of elected Wisconsin governor Tony Evans. “I think this is a huge step for protecting abortion rights in Wisconsin.”

With a 6-3 conservative majority on the Supreme Court, many recognize that securing these freedoms through the courts in its current configuration is nearly impossible and would require congressional action. In October, Biden promised to codify Roe into law if Democrats held the House and won the Senate.

Despite historic engagement from young people, that unfortunately didn’t happen. But increased youth engagement won’t stop anytime soon—and neither should Democrats. “Forty-eight Democrats have expressed support for a change in Senate rules that would allow a majority of senators to enact legislation codifying Roe v. Wade,” wrote Ryan Grim in The Intercept.

According to the Center For Information & Research on Civic Learning and Engagement, abortion was the top issue influencing those under 30, and voters as a whole have given legislators a mandate to protect reproductive rights. “I want to have the option to receive an abortion if necessary,” said Khalid, “and I believe that everyone has the right to their bodily autonomy.”

With a 6-3 conservative majority on the Supreme Court, many recognize that securing these freedoms through the courts in its current configuration is nearly impossible and would require congressional action.
I'm all in favor of abortion rights, but the courts are not the way to try and secure them. The current trend of not allowing courts to legislate from the bench is a healthy one. It's time for the legislatures to step up and do their job.

It would be best to put the matter on the 2024 ballot to secure the people's right to choose for at least 200 years which cannot be reversed without a ballot vote ................

It would be best to put the matter on the 2024 ballot to secure the people's right to choose for at least 200 years which cannot be reversed without a ballot vote ................
What ballot? The states can put it up for a vote if they choose to, but the republican controlled state legislatures will be sure to prevent that from happening because they would lose.

What you seem to be implying is a constitutional amendment- at least if you want a nationwide protected right. And that's not gonna' fly either.

I'm all in favor of abortion rights, but the courts are not the way to try and secure them. The current trend of not allowing courts to legislate from the bench is a healthy one. It's time for the legislatures to step up and do their job.
The significance of the abortion issue is on par with other rights guaranteed by the BOR.

No way, should individual states be allowed to deny women the option of abortion.

A federal law codifying abortion rights, or Constitutional amendment guaranteeing women’s dominion over their bodies would the only acceptable solution/s.

It would have to be a state proposition, for those states that do such things. There is no national ballot proposition mechanism.

Legislators can create necessary roadways to get shit done.

Let's get on with it....... stop pretending. It's time voters took over final decision on most all matters coming before congress. This would be way more efficient and democratic.

On Thanksgiving, when it came time for me to say something I was thankful for, I said I was thankful for young voters. 2nd highest turnout in history for that age bracket for 2 elections in a row. Keep it up you young whippersnappers!
YES YES YES lets keep feeding their positive and fired up frenzy ......

Back
Top Bottom