• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Young adult voluntarily becomes homeless; sees if he can make it out of poverty...

Re: Young adult voluntarily becomes homeless; sees if he can make it out of poverty..

I would like to see this experiment replicated among many individuals, in a variety of situations, locations, skill levels, and races. If that generates some statistical proof that this works over 90% of the time, I will care. Otherwise, one experiment does not make a trend or anything we can really rely on.

So would I, but it shouldn't be that hard to comprehend. The opportunity is out there if one wishes to grab it. What liberals unfortunately wish for is a total equalized society where everyone is born equal with the same traits, the same qualities, and develops the same personality. Therefore, everyone would be equal and we would have equality of results. I'm a bit more realistic than that.

Re: Young adult voluntarily becomes homeless; sees if he can make it out of poverty..

You really think those are the only two options? Married, or promiscuous?

Of course there are exceptions. But simply look at the statistics.

And I would argue that things like domestic abuse are far more likely to happen when you have a number of different revolving boyfriends or girlfriends as opposed to committing to one person your whole life.

I would like to see this experiment replicated among many individuals, in a variety of situations, locations, skill levels, and races. If that generates some statistical proof that this works over 90% of the time, I will care. Otherwise, one experiment does not make a trend or anything we can really rely on.

I posted that study before that people went back and analyzed 1000 people on Social Security which found that income was not related to the ability to build wealth.

Those people found that the sole defining factor was, whether or not, someone saved money.
Not the vehicle with which they saved, not chance events like inheritances, etc.

I know a gentleman who hit the ground running when he came over from the Ukraine. He's an internet marketer, and he's making **** tons of money. He started doing so at age 14.

I know a gentleman who hit the ground running when he came over from the Ukraine. He's an internet marketer, and he's making **** tons of money. He started doing so at age 14.

I think you guys may be taking this the wrong way, at least from my line of reasoning.

Do disabled people deserve to be lambasted because they're poor?
Of course not, a lot of them couldn't help it, I have compassion for those people.

Do people who made bad choices early in life deserve it, not necessarily but they should learn to function without help and to stop making excuses.
It can be done.

I'm not following why I'm the one being quoted. I was on the other side of the discussion up until this post.

I think everybody has a different pair of moccasins, and we shouldn't assume who does or doesn't have the tools to make it. It's a person-by-person thing. Also, I think that the statement "There but for the grace of God go I" fits in here somewhere. We like to think we have full and complete control of the twists and turns our lives can take but the opposite is true. And we don't know how we'll handle it or if we'll even get through it until we are put to the test.

I think you guys may be taking this the wrong way, at least from my line of reasoning.

Do disabled people deserve to be lambasted because they're poor?
Of course not, a lot of them couldn't help it, I have compassion for those people.

Do people who made bad choices early in life deserve it, not necessarily but they should learn to function without help and to stop making excuses.
It can be done.

I'm not following why I'm the one being quoted. I was on the other side of the discussion up until this post.

I think everybody has a different pair of moccasins, and we shouldn't assume who does or doesn't have the tools to make it. It's a person-by-person thing. Also, I think that the statement "There but for the grace of God go I" fits in here somewhere. We like to think we have full and complete control of the twists and turns our lives can take but the opposite is true. And we don't know how we'll handle it or if we'll even get through it until we are put to the test.

Well, We do have significant control.
No one has total control, that's true but to make excuses, for how one succeeds while another doesn't, is a bit fallacious if you ask me.

I'm white, male, raised in a middle class household but I wasn't given a whole lot of anything and before I got to where I am now, I hit the ground hard quite a few times.
Looking back on it, I realized that 90% of it was because of my choices, which is a bitter pill to swallow for some.

And I thought I was happily married and would be so ever after, - that was two years ago. Life takes changes we don't expect. Some of us roll with them, because that's what we have the intestinal fortitude to do. It's a gift. Others? Not so much.

Well, We do have significant control.
No one has total control, that's true but to make excuses, for how one succeeds while another doesn't, is a bit fallacious if you ask me.

I'm white, male, raised in a middle class household but I wasn't given a whole lot of anything and before I got to where I am now, I hit the ground hard quite a few times.
Looking back on it, I realized that 90% of it was because of my choices, which is a bitter pill to swallow for some.

My choices, on the other hand, have been abysmal.
Because I come from a relatively affluent family background, I've been sheltered from some of the effects of them, the worst of which would almost certainly have devastated someone without such a safety net.

Do not believe for one second there's no such thing as privilege.

And I thought I was happily married and would be so ever after, - that was two years ago. Life takes changes we don't expect. Some of us roll with them, because that's what we have the intestinal fortitude to do. It's a gift. Others? Not so much.

I really don't like to talk to much about the painful things that happen to other people.
(Not because I don't care, I do but there are some here that like to use it as a way to insult you, in places like the basement.)

I'm sure it hurt you deeply, but to me it seems that you toughed it out for the better and will probably be happy in the end.
You made some good choices, it's your ex had other things on his mind(mostly himself I'm sure).

My choices, on the other hand, have been abysmal.
Because I come from a relatively affluent family background, I've been sheltered from some of the effects of them, the worst of which would almost certainly have devastated someone without such a safety net.

Do not believe for one second there's no such thing as privilege.

Of course there is privilege, not everyone gets it though.
Privilege has its downside.

My mother was babied by her parents, to much.
She and my father could of been affluent but they squandered every dollar they had, while making an upper middle class income most of my life.

They're now on government aid because they made horrible choices.

You really think those are the only two options? Married, or promiscuous?

No. You're putting words in my mouth. My mother had four or five husbands and numerous long-term boyfriends. She didn't consider herself promiscuous. I guess one person's idea of promiscuous means reserved to someone else. It's a subjective term. And no, I do not think serial monogamy equals appropriately reserved.

You're sweet. :) But I have teflon undies. Nothing sticks to me!!!

It did, it was hellish - but yeah. I mourned, and went job hunting and got a job and made friends and went on with my life. The biggest silver lining was that after 50 years, I FINALLY had my blessed solitude. I went from family, to military to roommates. Back to parents, pregnant with daughter. Lived with parents w/daughter, moved out with daughter. Married, and it was the three of us until she moved out, and then Tim and I.

That is a long ass time to always have somebody in my airspace. :D

I really don't like to talk to much about the painful things that happen to other people.
(Not because I don't care, I do but there are some here that like to use it as a way to insult you, in places like the basement.)

I'm sure it hurt you deeply, but to me it seems that you toughed it out for the better and will probably be happy in the end.
You made some good choices, it's your ex had other things on his mind(mostly himself I'm sure).

No. You're putting words in my mouth. My mother had four or five husbands and numerous long-term boyfriends. She didn't consider herself promiscuous. I guess one person's idea of promiscuous means reserved to someone else. It's a subjective term. And no, I do not think serial monogamy equals appropriately reserved.

I don't consider her promiscuous.
She sounds more like a serial monogamist.

Dude, I may have phrased it wrong but it still comes down to you saying the only two options are happily ever after or a string of 'uncles' (by marriage or not). From the time my daughter was born until I got married when she was 13, I rarely dated, and she only ever met one of them (when we became engaged, when she was two).

All I am trying to say is, not staying with one's spouse does not mean that there will be a revolving door of replacements. There are other options.

My last taxi driver in LA was a doctor in India who came her 3 years ago...he works two jobs, his daughter is in law school in California. They came here with nothing. Got nothing. Bust their ass. He will succeed as will his family. And of course these are anecdotal tales but they happen ALL THE TIME...people come here from Haiti and in three generations their family owns a store. Hard work. Drive. Desire.

Dude, I may have phrased it wrong but it still comes down to you saying the only two options are happily ever after or a string of 'uncles' (by marriage or not). From the time my daughter was born until I got married when she was 13, I rarely dated, and she only ever met one of them (when we became engaged, when she was two).

All I am trying to say is, not staying with one's spouse does not mean that there will be a revolving door of replacements. There are other options.

This is true. But my original argument was that a nuclear family is better for the development of the child, and the statistics back me up.

Oh good. Then you just tossed in the cast of thousands as a talking point?

This is true. But my original argument was that a nuclear family is better for the development of the child, and the statistics back me up.

I don't consider her promiscuous.
She sounds more like a serial monogamist.

Which proves my point. Her serial monogamy is the biggest reason why she is now homeless and jobless and very angry at the world (especially me, but that's only because I've changed my political views). Why? Because she left a very good job, with fabulous benefits, in order to chase a penis (are we allowed to say that word?) across the country. She's had boyfriend after boyfriend. Some would beat her. Others would cheat on her. And I saw ALL the drama growing up. It would have been nice if mama and papa would have stayed together.

Oh good. Then you just tossed in the cast of thousands as a talking point?

The thread was about success, and rising out of poverty. It starts when you're young. This kid could do it becaus his parents gave him the tools to do it. Statistically, children born under a nuclear family are more likely to graduate high school, more likely to attend college, more likely to avoid drug addiction, and are more likely to succeed. Why? Because both parents are present to help raise the child. I'm not trying to knock on all the single mothers out there. I'm just saying that it is ideal to have two parents raising a kid, and it children before marriage should be avoided.

For the ever loving holy crap of the world.

This guys story isn't about being homeless or homeless people specifically.
It is about taking nothing and turning it into something.
He made himself homeless to start with a handicap.
He turned that nothing he had into a stable livelihood.

There is a lot of excuse making going on but I think that largely stems from a form of self medication or bias.
People don't like to face the truth, that their life sucks because of their choices.
I'm not claiming anyone here is doing that but that is where the notion that success if mostly derived from being white, male, born rich, etc.
Sure those things can help but the moral of his story is that,
YOUR CHOICES ARE THE REASON YOUR LIFE IS THE WAY IT IS.

There is data to back it up.

Nah people end up pretty much where they start.Ive ended up in a stronger situation from where i started but if im being honest i was in the right place at the right time on a couple of occasions.I know alot of people by into this idea that pure hard work will pay off but sorry it doesent.Charisma trumps hard work and being born rich trumps nearly everything.

The thread was about success, and rising out of poverty. It starts when you're young. This kid could do it becaus his parents gave him the tools to do it. Statistically, children born under a nuclear family are more likely to graduate high school, more likely to attend college, more likely to avoid drug addiction, and are more likely to succeed. Why? Because both parents are present to help raise the child. I'm not trying to knock on all the single mothers out there. I'm just saying that it is ideal to have two parents raising a kid, and it children before marriage should be avoided.

I disagree i think the reason is they are less likely to be among a peer group that will pull them down into drugs etc.Aa they will go to a better high school etc.

Nah people end up pretty much where they start.Ive ended up in a stronger situation from where i started but if im being honest i was in the right place at the right time on a couple of occasions.I know alot of people by into this idea that pure hard work will pay off but sorry it doesent.Charisma trumps hard work and being born rich trumps nearly everything.

I don't think that's true. I know that each individual is born into a different situation and each situation will deal each individual a different set of cards. Some individuals die before they even have a chance to meet their first birthday. Perhaps the saying, "we are all born equal" is the biggest lie of all. We are born, and that is it. We are certainly not born with the exact same traits and opportunities as the next individual. But largely, it is still up to the individual to make his own life for himself.

I disagree i think the reason is they are less likely to be among a peer group that will pull them down into drugs etc.Aa they will go to a better high school etc.

And good parenting has nothing to do with networking with a encouraging peer group? Good parenting has nothing to do with the type of high school a child may attend?

And good parenting has nothing to do with networking with a encouraging peer group? Good parenting has nothing to do with the type of high school a child may attend?

Well the ability to send a child to a really good high school is often only an option if it can be afforded.Also i never said good parenting has nothing to do with a childs upbringing.

Also your use of the idea of "networking with a encouraging peer group?" freaks me out a little.I believe in making friends through an emotional and intellectual bonding rather than some kind of benefical alliance dont get too into the Libertarian ideology feed your heart a little.

Back
Top Bottom