• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

You should carry a small, quality LED flashlight daily: Also advice

ModerationNow!

I identify as "non-Bidenary".
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
It wasn't til 2011 that I discovered LED flashlights, although I had purchased an LED headlamp in early 2007 for backpacking. Then, while surfing the internet, I discovered a forum dedicated to flashlights, headlamps, home lighting, batteries etc. Its called candlepowerforums, and it's a great resource for anything and everything related to lighting, battery related technical info/advice, and much more. I had never previously carried any light with me. Now that I do, I use it at least 1-2 times every day, or more. Due to a client energency, I was late to finish painting another client's door trim, and ended up using my light for an hour to see what I was painting.

There are some cheap, low quality LED lights advertised in cheesy, over the top commercials on TV and online, they should be avoided. You'll know one when you see the ad. It'll probably have some ridiculously over-the-top name, like "Seal Team 6 Spec-Ops Tac-Master M9000", or some-such nonsense! It'll also be garbage, and contrary to the ad's claims, Seal Team 6 are NOT carrying them!! Lol

I learned that, in 2011, you could buy a flashlights that ran on 1 AA or 1 CR123 battery that were roughly 10x brighter than a bulb style 2-3 D cell Maglight(220-270 lumens vs 25 lumens). Now they make lights of that same size, or smaller, that put out 2-3x more lumens(500L to 900L). Back then I bought a Jetbeam BC-10 for $37, that ran on 1 CR123 battery for 270L. I carried it in my pocket daily for 14 months, til I decided to purchase a Zebralight SC52, which ran on 1 AA or 14500 Lithium Ion cell, for between 220-450L. I carried it daily for over 2 years til I lost it.

I can tell you first hand that you WILL be glad you started carrying a decent LED light, and you'll use it far more than you think. I'd recommend NOT buying one from a local home center or department store. I've had good luck with Jetbeam, Thrunite, Zebralight(dumb name, I know), Eagletac, Fenix, Olight etc. If interested in a light, visit candlepowerforums or budgetlightforums and read up on the info. There are endless YouTube reviews for any decent light you can think of.

I actually began collecting LED lights in 2011 of all sizes and battery types. I ended up not using 90% of them ever, so I gave away 50% and sold another 20% of them. So in March, I bought a new everyday pocket light, the Jetbeam Jet II mk. It accepts either a single CR123 disposeable "primary" battery, or a rechargeable 16340 lithium ion battery, which is the battery that was included with the light for $30. Its under 3" long and 3/4" diameter, with 4 brightness settings from .5L moonlight to 510L high. I've had it in my front right pocket every day, being scratched up by my keys for 8-12 hours daily, for 9 months, but it's hard anodizing has held up. Here it is:

IMG_20181219_035046571.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20181219_030715053.jpg
    IMG_20181219_030715053.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 55
  • _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 55
  • _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I use the small LED lights which clip on a ball cap's bill sold at Walmart for $1 each. They use two CR2032 (3V lithium) batteries and have three LED (chip?) lamps. As a self-employed handyman I have come to rely on them for working in electrical boxes, installing doorknobs/deadbolts, fixing plumbing under kitchen sinks/vanities, working in crawl spaces, closets & attics and other places lacking decent lighting. These are very handy since they leave both of your hands free and seem to know just where you are looking. ;)

These (cheap plastic) "headlights" are very lightweight and quite bright initially but their small (about the size of a nickel) batteries will not last very long under continuous use. To make it worthwhile (cost less than simply replacing the entire item) to replace their batteries requires ordering them in bulk on the internet .

image.jpg

https://www.walmart.com/ip/OT-3-LED...MIn7WBp-ar3wIVSxtpCh30GgPjEAQYAiABEgLHWfD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-CR2032-...t=&hvlocphy=9028248&hvtargid=pla-431685317932

I use the small LED lights which clip on a ball cap's bill sold at Walmart for $1 each. They use two CR2032 (3V lithium) batteries and have three LED (chip?) lamps. As a self-employed handyman I have come to rely on them for working in electrical boxes, installing doorknobs/deadbolts, fixing plumbing under kitchen sinks/vanities, working in crawl spaces, closets & attics and other places lacking decent lighting. These are very handy since they leave both of your hands free and seem to know just where you are looking. ;)

These (cheap plastic) "headlights" are very lightweight and quite bright initially but their small (about the size of a nickel) batteries will not last very long under continuous use. To make it worthwhile (cost less than simply replacing the entire item) to replace their batteries requires ordering them in bulk on the internet .

View attachment 67246303

https://www.walmart.com/ip/OT-3-LED...MIn7WBp-ar3wIVSxtpCh30GgPjEAQYAiABEgLHWfD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-CR2032-...t=&hvlocphy=9028248&hvtargid=pla-431685317932

I use the green ones for deer hunting.

Back
Top Bottom