• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

You get to pick the next President

God what a nightmare that would be. No matter who you chose your life would pretty much be over. Half the country would hate you. I'd have to do a lot of research, but I'd want someone moderate, with a history of working across the aisle, and who is scientifically literate.

Susan Collins, Kyrsten Sinema, and Joe Donnelly are examples of of the type of person I'm looking for, though all of them take positions I disagree with and I'd try to find someone I agree with more broadly.

I like Huntsman, myself. Unfortunately, his four supporters are all collected together in this thread.

Trump has shown that it would need to be someone with some political experience and some political relationships already built. A likeable personality would be helpful, and has shown in recent decades to be more important than most want to admit. "Outsider" can be relative, but it can't be absolute.

Larry Hogan, Maryland's current governor (I'm extremely impressed by him) or Marco Rubio.

My Grandfather was near the end of his life during the republican primaries of 2016 and was losing his marbles a touch. Said the funniest goddam thing I ever heard though. Was visiting him at the nursing home, he and a couple other old timers were discussing which politicians they liked, and gramps says "I like that Irish boy from Florida, what's his name...O'Rubio?"

I voted for Rubio in the NH primary, and my husband voted for Kasich. We were hopeful for either one of them to prevail. But sadly....

I knew going into the NH primary in 2016 there were two candidates who I wouldn't support no matter what. One was Mike Huckabee. The other was Donald Trump. At least I can look at myself in the mirror knowing I didn't contribute to the current state of affairs.

You sound like my old boss. He was a staunch Republican but he loathed both Trump and Huckabee. He said he could never vote for someone (Huckabee) who abused his faith and would use a position of power to try and enforce Christianity (bear in mind this guy was a devout Christian himself, but favored freedom over everything else).

Alright, let’s do a fun hypothetical. Through some miracle you have been appointed to pick the next President of the United States. These are your ground rules:

-The choice cannot be you or any personal friend, family or acquaintance.
-The choice should be at least a little well known to the public, but does NOT need to be a politician.
-The choice should be a natural born American citizen at least 35 years old.

I don’t have a firm choice in my mind yet but for some reason Neil deGrasse Tyson pops into my mind. Who would you pick?

Does Tyson have any experience as a chief executive?

My choice is Trump.

Alright, let’s do a fun hypothetical. Through some miracle you have been appointed to pick the next President of the United States. These are your ground rules:

-The choice cannot be you or any personal friend, family or acquaintance.
-The choice should be at least a little well known to the public, but does NOT need to be a politician.
-The choice should be a natural born American citizen at least 35 years old.

I don’t have a firm choice in my mind yet but for some reason Neil deGrasse Tyson pops into my mind. Who would you pick?

Ted Cruz.

Back
Top Bottom