• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

You get to pick the next President

We are not going to get the President we need, America is too broken, with little interest in being better.

We need someone like Robert Gates or Leon Penetta, a younger version, which near as I can tell does not exist.

Rubio was my guy in 2016. I wish he was our President today. How he lost to Trump is a mystery I'll never understand.

but... but ... but .... isn't Rubio actually Cuban and not really a real American? ;) How do we know he is not related to Fidel Castro? :shock:

but... but ... but .... isn't Rubio actually Cuban and not really a real American? ;) How do we know he is not related to Fidel Castro? :shock:

Rubio looks like he is trying to be better, trying to actually get work done rather than being all about projecting the right image, trying to grow into the job.

I was wrong about him.

Granholm
Kasich
Damn it just about anyone that is not Trump or Hillary under 70 and is not supported by Steve Bannon.

Rubio was my guy in 2016. I wish he was our President today. How he lost to Trump is a mystery I'll never understand.

16 GOP candidates lost to Trump because they chose not to scrape the bottom of the barrel by engaging in disgusting race baiting in order to rile up angry rubes into a frenzy. Without the birther issue, the wall, the muslim ban, and other drivel Trump was spewing, there would have been someone else as the GOP nominee in 2016. Possibly Rubio or even John Kasich.

16 GOP candidates lost to Trump because they chose not to scrape the bottom of the barrel by engaging in disgusting race baiting in order to rile up angry rubes into a frenzy. Without the birther issue, the wall, the muslim ban, and other drivel Trump was spewing, there would have been someone else as the GOP nominee in 2016. Possibly Rubio or even John Kasich.

I voted for Rubio in the NH primary, and my husband voted for Kasich. We were hopeful for either one of them to prevail. But sadly....

I knew going into the NH primary in 2016 there were two candidates who I wouldn't support no matter what. One was Mike Huckabee. The other was Donald Trump. At least I can look at myself in the mirror knowing I didn't contribute to the current state of affairs.

Far right? Maybe. I don't care what the alt-right or the far right thinks.

Huntsman was, to me, the epitome. He would make one hell of a President, and this country could be proud of him.

Well I was just pointing out the irony of the ties Trump has to Russia.

That would be Christie's trashing of Rubio in the NH debate ...

And the only good thing that happened after NH in 2016 was that Christie trashed Rubio and then followed Trump around, looking like he wanted to massage him in hot oils, only to have Trump toss him aside like yesterday's garbage after he was finished using him. It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy than Christie.

lol, in fairness Rubio was repeating himself like a robot.

I would probably pick Thomas Sowell.... if he wasn't so old...

Today.... maybe Ben Shaprio... because I think he'd be able to vocalize a right wing point of view better than most.

Maybe Condoleezza Rice or Larry Elder... I think having an intelligent black Conservative would be great for the country on all sides... not to say these people don't deserve to become president all on their own merit, because they certainly do.

Though, these people are more socially conservative than I would like... I think they would have a better image effect on the country than a hardcore libertarian.

I think they're all about to be indicted, so I'll have to hold off for a while yet.

lol, in fairness Rubio was repeating himself like a robot.

As with the very limited vocabulary of trump, on display every day ...

And the only good thing that happened after NH in 2016 was that Christie trashed Rubio and then followed Trump around, looking like he wanted to massage him in hot oils, only to have Trump toss him aside like yesterday's garbage after he was finished using him. It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy than Christie.

Gov. Baker would carry his Massachusetts as well as most of the Northeast. As I've mentioned before, a VP candidate like term-limited Gov. Sandoval of Nevada would easily blunt DEM efforts to carry Hispanic America ...

As with the very limited vocabulary of trump, on display every day ...

Oh, for sure. But Rubio wasn't a birther, which made him less "cool" to the rubes who support Trump.

Btw, AMC Sister, Baker hasn't announced yet for governor next year, according to The Green Papers: United States Off Year Election 2017 .

This leads me to believe that he's considering a run at Sen. Warren ...

For what it's worth, I still think it's very possible now that the tax bill has been signed by Trump, that the GOP will no longer have use for Trump, and will throw him to the wolves. Remember, they never wanted him as president in the first place. They literally begged their voters during the primaries over and over again to NOT vote for Trump.

You think they are getting tired of winning? 😎

Alright, let’s do a fun hypothetical. Through some miracle you have been appointed to pick the next President of the United States. These are your ground rules:

-The choice cannot be you or any personal friend, family or acquaintance.
-The choice should be at least a little well known to the public, but does NOT need to be a politician.
-The choice should be a natural born American citizen at least 35 years old.

I don’t have a firm choice in my mind yet but for some reason Neil deGrasse Tyson pops into my mind. Who would you pick?

Bernie Sanders, easily. Tulsi Gabbard or Nina Turner as VP.

Well, he has a better chance of beating Warren than Curt Schilling does, that's for sure. Baker is very popular. I'm a big Charlie Baker fan.

You and I can speak as members of the two parties in a nontoxic manner, proud of the great things both parties stand for on issues. Illinois has a long history of great GOPs, my favorite after Lincoln of course being Gov. Ogilvie, worth the read when you have the time.

Unfortunately for me, I'm getting caught up in a number of toxic exchanges, my fault. I'll look even more for posters like you from your GOP in the future. I would like to hear anything positive from you concerning current DEMs in office from the NE, as I continue to offer with your GOP.

With my Father from ME, I've known your region politically since 1977, when Dad and I went to ME through Canada, coming down from Montreal and through extremely poor Quebec to drive through the Rangely Lakes.

Dad's French Catholic family was conservative DEM, as with me. They did vote for LePage, who won because DEMs and INDYs split the vote.

People outside your NE don't realize just how strong INDYs are in the NE, and they certainly don't realize just how strong and moderate the Current GOP is in the NE ...

Alright, let’s do a fun hypothetical. Through some miracle you have been appointed to pick the next President of the United States. These are your ground rules:

-The choice cannot be you or any personal friend, family or acquaintance.
-The choice should be at least a little well known to the public, but does NOT need to be a politician.
-The choice should be a natural born American citizen at least 35 years old.

I don’t have a firm choice in my mind yet but for some reason Neil deGrasse Tyson pops into my mind. Who would you pick?

Out of the ones who ran last year my choices were Webb, Kasich and Rubio in that order. Someone whom I wished would have run is Colin Powell. But he would be 83 come 2020. I think we need someone younger. Current senators I like are Joe Manchin WV and Jon Tester Montana from the Democratic side. Ernst Iowa and Murkowski Alaska from the GOP. Any of them I could support. Condi Rice intrigues me as does Rand Paul.

But I suppose I will just wait and see who decides to run in 2020 and go from there.

Let me just float this name out there. President Nikki Haley.

Back
Top Bottom