• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

You decide...police brutality?

Drowning Man

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Prescott Valley police defend using K-9 to detain suspect after pursuit, claim suspect hesitated

Prescott Valley police justified releasing a K-9 on a suspect who appeared on a police body cam video to be complying with officer commands in an updated statement Monday.

Police officials said the use of the police dog, was necessary during the May arrest because Alfredo Saldivar, 28, hesitated before obeying orders to stand up and had been "ignoring earlier commands," according to the statement.

On Tuesday, Jerry Ferguson, a Prescott Valley police spokesperson, told The Arizona Republic officers were stopping someone who was "obviously posing a deadly threat to the public and resisting arrest."

"All the video shows is the time when he looks like he was complying, but before that he was getting up and running, and not obeying commands from the officers," Ferguson said. "Obviously, the officers felt that they needed to totally detain him and assure the safety of the public.”

"Here's what I want you to do," an officer can be heard telling Saldivar amid a wailing siren and a barking dog. "Stand up!"

A few seconds pass and a siren turns off as the officer repeats his command for Saldivar to stand up.

This is where police claim Saldivar hesitated, prompting the release of the canine.

"As officers confronted Saldivar and gave him numerous verbal commands to surrender, it initially appeared he was complying, then hesitated," the statement said. "Saldivar’s hesitation and the observations made by police led officers to believe that he was going to flee from law enforcement again, which resulted in a Prescott Valley Police K-9 being deployed."

Looks like an itchy leash finger, but I couldn't see everything they saw, and didn't know totality of circumstances that led to it, so I can't say it was excessive force either. It wasn't obvious brutality in either case.

I wonder how you would not consider letting loose a weaponized dog on a submissive subject as police brutality.

Prescott Valley police defend using K-9 to detain suspect after pursuit, claim suspect hesitated

Prescott Valley police justified releasing a K-9 on a suspect who appeared on a police body cam video to be complying with officer commands in an updated statement Monday.

Police officials said the use of the police dog, was necessary during the May arrest because Alfredo Saldivar, 28, hesitated before obeying orders to stand up and had been "ignoring earlier commands," according to the statement.

On Tuesday, Jerry Ferguson, a Prescott Valley police spokesperson, told The Arizona Republic officers were stopping someone who was "obviously posing a deadly threat to the public and resisting arrest."

"All the video shows is the time when he looks like he was complying, but before that he was getting up and running, and not obeying commands from the officers," Ferguson said. "Obviously, the officers felt that they needed to totally detain him and assure the safety of the public.”

"Here's what I want you to do," an officer can be heard telling Saldivar amid a wailing siren and a barking dog. "Stand up!"

A few seconds pass and a siren turns off as the officer repeats his command for Saldivar to stand up.

This is where police claim Saldivar hesitated, prompting the release of the canine.

"As officers confronted Saldivar and gave him numerous verbal commands to surrender, it initially appeared he was complying, then hesitated," the statement said. "Saldivar’s hesitation and the observations made by police led officers to believe that he was going to flee from law enforcement again, which resulted in a Prescott Valley Police K-9 being deployed."

Per MY review of that "evidence?"

No, at the point the animal was released I saw no need for the suspect to have a dog "sicced" on him.

He appeared to be fully cooperative, and thus no need for "additional force" to comply.

Based just on the vid. releasing the dog was most likely a wrong call.
I would want to see the full investigation report and all evidence before making a final decision on the use of the dog.

Reason 5,936,684 that you should always film the police...

Back
Top Bottom