• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

You cannot be an environmentalist and support the Post Office.

aociswundumho

Capitalist Pig
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Many leftists claim to be environmentalists, while at the same time supporting the Post Office. I say those two views are incompatible. Let's consider the environmental costs of the Post Office:

1. 90% of mail is junk mail. I own some multifamily properties, and I always have to put a garbage barrel right next to the mailboxes so the tenants can take their mail out of the box and drop it in the barrel. From there it goes to the landfill. The few letters they keep could have been sent via email, as everyone has a phone today.

2. Trees are extremely vital to the environment. They absorb CO2 which helps the climate. They also clean the air by absorbing nitrogen oxides and ozone. They create oxygen for us. They allow wildlife to flourish. They provide shade and help to prevent soil erosion. I'll stop there, but you get the idea.

Guess how many trees are destroyed every year in order to create junk mail?

junkmail trees.jpg
junkmail facts.jpg

3. The Post Office has over 200,000 vehicles, which are all spewing pollution six days a week in order to deliver junk mail. Those shitboxes they drive around in get 8 mpg:

mail truck mpg.jpg

4. If you support the Post Office, you support environmental destruction.

I hope you never use your ___ (favorite political topic) to the post office. They've had more than enough of those problems.

I'm glad you're thinking about the environment. Too bad it seems like it's very disingenuous.

One can support the post office and support reforms to the post office to make it more environmentally friendly.

There is no conflict there.

True, but while 1st class snail mail volume has significantly decreased the postal service “budget” is increasing. We visit our mailbox (about 1/8 mile from our house) at most twice per week.

Many leftists claim to be environmentalists, while at the same time supporting the Post Office. I say those two views are incompatible. Let's consider the environmental costs of the Post Office:
1. 90% of mail is junk mail. I own some multifamily properties, and I always have to put a garbage barrel right next to the mailboxes so the tenants can take their mail out of the box and drop it in the barrel. From there it goes to the landfill. The few letters they keep could have been sent via email, as everyone has a phone today.

2. Trees are extremely vital to the environment. They absorb CO2 which helps the climate. They also clean the air by absorbing nitrogen oxides and ozone. They create oxygen for us. They allow wildlife to flourish. They provide shade and help to prevent soil erosion. I'll stop there, but you get the idea.

View attachment 67385837
View attachment 67385838

3. The Post Office has over 200,000 vehicles, which are all spewing pollution six days a week in order to deliver junk mail. Those shitboxes they drive around in get 8 mpg:

View attachment 67385840

AOC...

The Post Office does not produce the junk mail, it just delivers it. If there was no Post Office the junk mail would still come by private delivery means.

I do not own a phone capable of receiving e-mail or online bills and nor do millions of North Americans, so tele-billing will not reach us. You want to be paid, send me a paper bill! Then I will send you a paper cheque in a paper envelope with a paper stamp on it via the post.

Are your rental properties all fully insulated and heated/cooled by environmentally-friendly and carbon-neutral energy sources? If not, then you're doing no better than the Post Office. What kind of a car do you drive? Internal combustion powered?

Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

AOC...

The Post Office does not produce the junk mail, it just delivers it. If there was no Post Office the junk mail would still come by private delivery means.

I do not own a phone capable of receiving e-mail or online bills and nor do millions of North Americans, so tele-billing will not reach us. You want to be paid, send me a paper bill! Then I will send you a paper cheque in a paper envelope with a paper stamp on it via the post.

Are your rental properties all fully insulated and heated/cooled by environmentally-friendly and carbon-neutral energy sources? If not, then you're doing no better than the Post Office. What kind of a car do you drive? Internal combustion powered?

Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

Hmm… yet you manage to post on DP. ;)

AOC...

No it wouldn't. Junk mail rates are far below market and are subsidized by the taxpayer. The unstated assumption is that people want junk mail, but the truth is they don't. If there were no Post Office people would simply remove their mailbox to stop the junk mail from coming.

No it wouldn't. Junk mail rates are far below market and are subsidized by the taxpayer. The unstated assumption is that people want junk mail, but the truth is they don't. If there were no Post Office people would simply remove their mailbox to stop the junk mail from coming.

Most of that junk mail is advertising ... for the "free market"!

View attachment 67385837
View attachment 67385838

View attachment 67385840

There is no place in 2022 for a 1950s post office. Period.

Its like all government programs, they never go away when their day in the sun comes.

I am 85.

I have only a flip phone for emergencies. (So I have been told that I cannot download apps.)

I admit that I do like email on my desktop computer.

But I still feel more comfortable with snail mail.

A computer can (and eventually will) break down.

But the letter carrier (if she or he is conscientious) usually puts the mail in the correct mailbox.

Nevertheless, even I recognize that snail mail will eventually go the way of the telegraph.

Everyone will indeed have a smart phone.

Hmm… yet you manage to post on DP. ;)
ttwtt78640::

I have a desktop computer and an old I-Pad, not a cell phone nor a smart phone. I do not indulge in online banking or any other online financial activity except the buying of hobby supplies and books over the net.

So, my Luddite ways are secure.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

Last edited:
AOC...

Wait. How would bailiffs and sheriffs serve writs and warrants on people who weren't at home? What would be your proof that your home was your domicile? These are other important things which postal addresses determine.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

Yeah . . . but you've been here much, much longer than I have.

:)
Thank you for reminding me. :rolleyes:

Yup. I've seen 'em come and go. Yet, I remain.

That speaks volumes and it's not all that flattering if you think about it.

If I only made fifty-cents an hour, for the time I have spent here, I could treat the forum to a grand banquet.

For what? I truly don't know. Yet, I remain.

AOC...

Wait. How would bailiffs and sheriffs serve writs and warrants on people who weren't at home?

The way they do it now, they attach it to the front door.

What would be your proof that your home was your domicile? These are other important things which postal addresses determine.

You can have an address without having a mail box.

The far right still hates the postal service.

News at eleven.

There is no place in 2022 for a 1950s post office. Period.

Its like all government programs, they never go away when their day in the sun comes.

The post office is in the Constitution.

lol this guy thinks the post office is the one sending him all that junk

I mean don't get me wrong: I would straight up make mailing unsolicited advertisements against the law if I could. But to blame the Post Office because a bunch of different mortgage lenders desperately want me to refinance my house is... ****in wow. You think OP blames Verizon for those car warranty spam calls too?

I mean don't get me wrong: I would straight up make mailing unsolicited advertisements against the law if I could.

Then you would kill the post office, because junk mail is where it makes most of its money. It's an institution which profits by needlessly destroying the environment, and leftists here are tripping over each other to defend it.

But to blame the Post Office because a bunch of different mortgage lenders desperately want me to refinance my house is... ****in wow. You think OP blames Verizon for those car warranty spam calls too?

See post #12.

Back
Top Bottom