• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

You cannot be an environmentalist and support the Post Office.

Excellent late night schizo posting

Then you would kill the post office, because junk mail is where it makes most of its money. It's an institution which profits by needlessly destroying the environment, and leftists here are tripping over each other to defend it.

See post #12.
LOL.

"Junk mail keeps the post office going"

Also

"taxpayers subsidize junk mail!"

Stop pretending you're an environmentalist, it's sad.

One can support the post office and support reforms to the post office to make it more environmentally friendly.

There are no "reforms" which would make the post office environmentally friendly, because the post office relies on junk mail (and the destruction of 100 million trees per year) in order to survive. The only way to get rid of junk mail is to get rid of the post office.

There are no "reforms" which would make the post office environmentally friendly, because the post office relies on junk mail (and the destruction of 100 million trees per year) in order to survive. The only way to get rid of junk mail is to get rid of the post office.
The vast majority of paper comes from tree farms or is replanted.

What's the excuse for filling up landfills with literally 1 billion pieces of junk mail per year?

What's the excuse for the emissions caused by government drones driving 200,000 trucks to deliver junk mail? Or the emissions involved in making the trucks to deliver junk mail?

No matter how you slice it, the post office is an environmental disaster.

What's the excuse for filling up landfills with literally 1 billion pieces of junk mail per year?
People should recycle more
What's the excuse for the emissions caused by government drones driving 200,000 trucks to deliver junk mail? Or the emissions involved in making the trucks to deliver junk mail?
We need better vehicles
It can be reformed

For 4 years Trumpsters cheered and applauded every time Trump tore up an environmental regulation.. Some were decades old...

Now all of a sudden Republicans care about the environment and endangered species... Lol

They are a hypocritical and dishonest bunch..

People should recycle more

We need better vehicles

It can be reformed

This is the perfect leftist rationale for the post office. Hundreds of millions of trees being turned into junk mail in order to fill up landfills is fine, because the leftist priority is always to increase the size and scope of the state, no matter what the cost.

This is the perfect leftist rationale for the post office. Hundreds of millions of trees being turned into junk mail in order to fill up landfills is fine, because the leftist priority is always to increase the size and scope of the state, no matter what the cost.
I already pointed out what reforms could be made which is consistent with my original assertion.

I wonder in a carbon credit world, do the paper companies get a carbon debit or credit?
They are after all capturing carbon, that could be sequestered for many centuries.

I wonder in a carbon credit world, do the paper companies get a carbon debit or credit?
They are after all capturing carbon, that could be sequestered for many centuries.
That’s actually an excellent question. I’ve wondered if there was a loophole that needs to be closed myself.

Many leftists claim to be environmentalists, while at the same time supporting the Post Office. I say those two views are incompatible. Let's consider the environmental costs of the Post Office:

1. 90% of mail is junk mail. I own some multifamily properties, and I always have to put a garbage barrel right next to the mailboxes so the tenants can take their mail out of the box and drop it in the barrel. From there it goes to the landfill. The few letters they keep could have been sent via email, as everyone has a phone today.

2. Trees are extremely vital to the environment. They absorb CO2 which helps the climate. They also clean the air by absorbing nitrogen oxides and ozone. They create oxygen for us. They allow wildlife to flourish. They provide shade and help to prevent soil erosion. I'll stop there, but you get the idea.

Guess how many trees are destroyed every year in order to create junk mail?

View attachment 67385837
View attachment 67385838

3. The Post Office has over 200,000 vehicles, which are all spewing pollution six days a week in order to deliver junk mail. Those shitboxes they drive around in get 8 mpg:

View attachment 67385840

4. If you support the Post Office, you support environmental destruction.

Believe it or not, life involves compromise.

Again, the Post Office isn't creating that junk mail.

Many leftists claim to be environmentalists, while at the same time supporting the Post Office. I say those two views are incompatible. Let's consider the environmental costs of the Post Office:

1. 90% of mail is junk mail. I own some multifamily properties, and I always have to put a garbage barrel right next to the mailboxes so the tenants can take their mail out of the box and drop it in the barrel. From there it goes to the landfill. The few letters they keep could have been sent via email, as everyone has a phone today.

2. Trees are extremely vital to the environment. They absorb CO2 which helps the climate. They also clean the air by absorbing nitrogen oxides and ozone. They create oxygen for us. They allow wildlife to flourish. They provide shade and help to prevent soil erosion. I'll stop there, but you get the idea.

View attachment 67385837
View attachment 67385838

3. The Post Office has over 200,000 vehicles, which are all spewing pollution six days a week in order to deliver junk mail. Those shitboxes they drive around in get 8 mpg:

View attachment 67385840

Really now.

You don't send it to recycle?

Stop blaming others till you start doing right.

Then you would kill the post office, because junk mail is where it makes most of its money. It's an institution which profits by needlessly destroying the environment, and leftists here are tripping over each other to defend it.

See post #12.
Paper comes from trees.

A renewable resource.

Please learn the facts.

Paper comes from trees.

A renewable resource.

Please learn the facts.

There is still an enormous amount of environmental damage that comes from processing the trees, turning them into paper, having the government drones deliver them, and then dumping the mess into a landfill. Even if 100% of the paper were recycled, it still would produce a huge amount of emissions to turn all that scrap paper into new paper.

No matter how you cut it, the post office is a huge net loss for society and the environment.

There is still an enormous amount of environmental damage that comes from processing the trees, turning them into paper, having the government drones deliver them, and then dumping the mess into a landfill. Even if 100% of the paper were recycled, it still would produce a huge amount of emissions to turn all that scrap paper into new paper.

No matter how you cut it, the post office is a huge net loss for society and the environment.
Your agenda against the USPS is noted.

View attachment 67385837
View attachment 67385838

View attachment 67385840

That's a pretty sad argument really. Junkmail isn't the post office's fault. And there is not enough charging infrastructure to support that many EVs. And mostly your argument is stupid based on your attempt to manipulate the reader with the environmental ploy. You just suck at making an argument.

That's a pretty sad argument really. Junkmail isn't the post office's fault.

Yes it is.

1. Junk mail cannot survive without the post office. Without the idiotic post office, you simply remove your mailbox and the junk mail stops.

2. The post office cannot survive without junk mail, because the overwhelming majority of mail today is junk mail. Delivering worthless junk mail is the post office's main business.

Yes it is.

1. Junk mail cannot survive without the post office. Without the idiotic post office, you simply remove your mailbox and the junk mail stops.

2. The post office cannot survive without junk mail, because the overwhelming majority of mail today is junk mail. Delivering worthless junk mail is the post office's main business.
So you are just hating on the post office not actually making a real argument.

Your assertion that the post office would not survive without junk mail is a real naive ignorant argument to make. It takes just a few seconds to realize two things: 1) the post office is not a business and never was. If it is then so is the government and military, but that would be a lie. 2) with 90% of the mail as you say is junk mail, it would be much cheaper to operate without it. All up the chain personnel and machinery would be cut 90% more or less. That means a much more efficient operation.

But then you are just here trying to hate on the p[ost office because of whatever stupid ideology that you subscribe to told you to parrot such crap.

I wonder if a paper going into a landfill counts as sequestered CO2?

Back
Top Bottom