• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

You can buy guns but not sex toys in this Georgia town

Glen Contrarian

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, he
Political Leaning
Progressive
Why am I not surprised?

A federal appeals court has upheld a ban on the sale of sex toys in Sandy Springs, Georgia — but acknowledged the decision probably won’t stand, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports.

A panel of three judges on the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Atlanta made the decision, saying they had no choice but to follow a 2004 case precedent.

But they believe that decision, a similar ban in Alabama, was wrong. They encouraged plaintiffs in the case to continue pursuing it in order to set a new precedent.

AJC reports the new take on the matter reflects the fact that last year’s Obergefell ruling legalizing same-sex marriage in all 50 states has pushed courts further away from making decisions dictating what people do in their bedrooms.

Sandy Springs passed the controversial ordinance in 2009 — which prompted MSNBC to observe that while Georgians can carry guns around almost anywhere, they can’t buy sex toys without a doctor’s note.

Per the ordinance, “device designed or marketed as useful primarily for the stimulation of human genital organs is obscene material.”

Two residents sued over the ordinance, calling it unconstitutional.

Why am I not surprised?

A federal appeals court has upheld a ban on the sale of sex toys in Sandy Springs, Georgia — but acknowledged the decision probably won’t stand, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports.

A panel of three judges on the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Atlanta made the decision, saying they had no choice but to follow a 2004 case precedent.

But they believe that decision, a similar ban in Alabama, was wrong. They encouraged plaintiffs in the case to continue pursuing it in order to set a new precedent.

AJC reports the new take on the matter reflects the fact that last year’s Obergefell ruling legalizing same-sex marriage in all 50 states has pushed courts further away from making decisions dictating what people do in their bedrooms.

Sandy Springs passed the controversial ordinance in 2009 — which prompted MSNBC to observe that while Georgians can carry guns around almost anywhere, they can’t buy sex toys without a doctor’s note.

Per the ordinance, “device designed or marketed as useful primarily for the stimulation of human genital organs is obscene material.”

Yeah, so?

I have no clue why anyone would want to buy their sex toys at a store. The products are overpriced, the selection is rarely good, and the sales ladies tend to be all up in your grill.

I don't see how guns and sex toys are comparable objects.

Edit: Holy ****, that's a lot bigger than I was expecting. Sandy Springs is not what I would call a "town."

Don't Google that for me, I can do it myself. See?

Anyway, I can't imagine why a city with nearly 100,000 residents would ban sex toys - I was expecting some super-tiny little town like Oak Park or Santa Claus to be the focus of this thread.

Re-edit: Okay, so it just barely falls short of the population definition of a city by about 230 people. In 2013. I'm going to go ahead and start calling Sandy Springs a city.

Last edited:
Where are sex toys protected by constitutional amendment?

I have no clue why anyone would want to buy their sex toys at a store. The products are overpriced, the selection is rarely good, and the sales ladies tend to be all up in your grill.

Well you do what to try it first....doh :doh

Coincidentally im staying in sandy springs for work. I went out last night and never saw so many horny women in all my life. I guess i know why now, lol.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I don't see how guns and sex toys are comparable objects.

B-3jqAgUIAA2Duk.jpg:large

Where are sex toys protected by constitutional amendment?

Not the constitution but close enough...

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

That wooshing sound over your head was the point.
It must of went over my head too. Where in the Constitution does it protect peoples right to bear dildos?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Well you do what to try it first....doh :doh

We have one store that allows you to test some of the vibes, but this is not common. I used to say the same things about books...... that I want to sit with it for a spell in an overstuffed chair, preferably with a coffee by my side as I do it, before I plunk down money, but I have learned to buy off of reviews only.

Amazon won.

That wooshing sound over your head was the point.

There was no whooshing sound, because there was no point. Just the usual lib hypocrisy. In lib lala land, there'd be sex toys for everyone, but no guns.

Come to think of it, I'm not so sure that would be a bad thing. Lots more orgasms, a lot fewer funerals.

Thanks for demonstrating perfectly, my point about lib hypocrisy. Unfortunately for you and your ilk, sex toys aren't a constitutionally protected right, guns are. ;)

There was no whooshing sound, because there was no point. Just the usual lib hypocrisy. In lib lala land, there'd be sex toys for everyone, but no guns.

Why can't there be both? Why are cons so interested in peoples sex lives?

Thanks for demonstrating perfectly, my point about lib hypocrisy. Unfortunately for you and your ilk, sex toys aren't a constitutionally protected right, guns are. ;)

Whoosh! Whoosh! Whoooooooooosh!

No, you never did get the point. You're so wrapped up in your gun fetish that you can't see that the world's growing up and leaving y'all behind.

Why am I not surprised?

Apparently some "weapons" are scarier than others.

No, that hypocrisy is only in your fetid imagination.

The point was that in the Land of the Free, it's absolute absurdity to allow perfectly legal sales of by far the more deadly of the two and ban the sales of the other, designed solely for sexual pleasure.

The hypocrisy is on the part of the people who passed this and those who share their mindset in mouthing platitudes and paying lip-service to liberty, but never actually living out that principle. In a free society that walked it like it talked it, they'd both be legal for purchase by adults.

Not even remotely surpised that concept is lost on you.

Last edited:
"You can buy guns but not sex toys in this Georgia town"

Government needs to stop sticking its nose where it doesn't belong.

Back
Top Bottom