• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

You advise to married people/significant others

joko104

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
What advise do you have for married people/significant others?

Here's a recount to as one example of advise I have for husbands/male significant others.

The people involved were the principal of a church school and his wife who was a teacher at that church school. He was a highly judgment man, very negative and gossipy. She was an attractive women, serious minded but easy going. They had two children. We knew both of them.

One night he got home late, woke her up about some negative gossip he had about some woman at the church, leading to an argument over waking her up for this and she thought it was none of their business. A little bit later, he remembered he needed to get something out of his car. His keys were in the bedroom. Rather than risking waking her up, he decided to get her keys which had a key to his car out of her purse.

A few minutes later the bright overhead bedroom light goes on, him he holding incontrovertible proof from notes he found in her purse that she was having an affair with the assistant minister. She jumps out of bed shouting "you went into my purse?! What kind of sicko does that?!!!" Throws on a jacket, grabs her purse and keys and leaves. The next day she picks up the children at school and moves off to her mother's house.

Reading the notes more carefully, it was clear she and the asst. minister had a 1 night thing over a year before and called it off because neither wanted to wreck their marriages. He wanted to reconcile and go into counseling, but she filled for divorce and stuck to it, fixated on him going into her purse. In divorce court, the female judge focused on this too. Was he taking fingerprints and dna from her purse? Recorder on the telephone? Secret cameras in the house? She got custody.

The minister's wife of course learned, and her response to that woman was not "you slept with my husband?"! It was "he searched your purse? He really is sick!' The minister's marriage didn't break up.

ADVICES TO MARRIED MEN: NEVER go into your wife's purse, car, jewelry box, look at her cell phone for texts and call history, and in all other ways even inadvertently spy on her. If you accidentally learn a secret, forget that you learned it.

What advise do you have? I'd particularly like women's opinions.

Last edited:
When the man does the dishes or laundry, just be take a breath and be glad.

Do not under any circumstances offer advice or critique. He'll use that as an excuse never to do the chores again. Accept that there's more than one "right" way.

If he ruins your favorite clothes, buy some more and keep them away from the main laundry area.

Dont bother unless and until you "want" kids and/or buy real estate (like a house). The real estate part is just easier, less complicated, so I wouldnt bother marrying 'just' for that.

Basically, dont marry just because it's a social expectation.

Buy her a card, flowers, or a box of chocolates. Randomly, for no other reason than to say I love you.

Buy her a card, flowers, or a box of chocolates. Randomly, for no other reason than to say I love you.

I heard a relationship psychologist explain there is no appreciation different for most women whether you give her flowers or a new car, fix a sink or build an addition onto the house. They all equally count as 1 point. If the man has a greater expectation for a greater gift, it could end up converting to a negative.

Reading the notes more carefully, it was clear she and the asst. minister had a 1 night thing over a year before and called it off because neither wanted to wreck their marriages. He wanted to reconcile and go into counseling, but she filled for divorce and stuck to it, fixated on him going into her purse. In divorce court, the female judge focused on this too. Was he taking fingerprints and dna from her purse? Recorder on the telephone? Secret cameras in the house? She got custody.

I heard a relationship psychologist explain there is no appreciation different for most women whether you give her flowers or a new car, fix a sink or build an addition onto the house. They all equally count as 1 point. If the man has a greater expectation for a greater gift, it could end up converting to a negative.

I dunno if you should be giving advice to guys about women. You seem to hate them.

Its the thought that counts!

Meanwhile, for the ladies, my advice is this...

Give your husband a night off. Pick a day when he is off on the next day, get him a 6 pack of beer in the fridge, take the kids and dissappear till about 10pm or so. Leave a note on the beer telling him to enjoy his night.

I actually don't have too much experience in this area, although I have seen the way my parents act in their marriage. I guess my advice would be, try to tolerate your spouse's peccadillos. If it's nothing truly, seriously bad, try to put up with them. This is especially true if you have children together. It's important to children to grow up in a family that is not broken in some ways.

People are individuals and there will be times when they will do or say something that you hate. This is normal, it's virtually impossible to find someone who is so perfect that they never annoy you in any way.

Its the thought that counts!

Meanwhile, for the ladies, my advice is this...

Give your husband a night off. Pick a day when he is off on the next day, get him a 6 pack of beer in the fridge, take the kids and dissappear till about 10pm or so. Leave a note on the beer telling him to enjoy his night.

If the wife does more looking after the children, particularly a stay-at-home mom, she is the one who most needs a break from the kids for a day off.

Another piece of advise for both is never interrogate the other. You really don't need to know who s/he was talking to on the phone, where s/he went that afternoon or what s/he is thinking. If the other wants you to know, s/he will tell you.

If the wife does more looking after the children, particularly a stay-at-home mom, she is the one who most needs a break from the kids for a day off.
In my house, I work opening shifts, she does closing shifts. She gets them ready for school and on the bus, I pick them up, work on homework, cook dinner, get them ready for bed, etc.

When the man does the dishes or laundry, just be take a breath and be glad.

Do not under any circumstances offer advice or critique. He'll use that as an excuse never to do the chores again. Accept that there's more than one "right" way.

If he ruins your favorite clothes, buy some more and keep them away from the main laundry area.

My wife always gives me grief every time I fold the laundry. By this point, it's one of our things. *L* It's not my fault she was raised by a Drill Sgt.!

My wife always gives me grief every time I fold the laundry. By this point, it's one of our things. *L* It's not my fault she was raised by a Drill Sgt.!

Awwwww ... big like for you soldiering on!

I dont fold. It's pointless. Clothes that I don't want wrinkled and nice...get hing up, as they are my "nice" clothes. Everything else? I dont care if its wrinkled. So, they get sorted and shoved into drawers.

I wash/she folds
I cook/she cleans
I pick up the groceries/she plans the meals
I vacuum/she maintains the bathrooms
etc

Basically with my SO and I, we are lucky in that the chores one of us hates, the other doesn't mind doing.

I dont fold. It's pointless. Clothes that I don't want wrinkled and nice...get hing up, as they are my "nice" clothes. Everything else? I dont care if its wrinkled. So, they get sorted and shoved into drawers.

It's poker rules at our house... if you don't fold'em, you don't get to hold'em.

Those wrinkle release sprays are a miracle! If you haven't tried them, you really should. Saves tons of time and you still look like a million bucks.

Don't think you're a tidy person just because all of the time you lived on your own you didn't notice your mess.

I didn't realize what a slob I was until I started living with someone and how loud it was.

I wash/she folds
I cook/she cleans
I pick up the groceries/she plans the meals
I vacuum/she maintains the bathrooms
etc

Basically with my SO and I, we are lucky in that the chores one of us hates, the other doesn't mind doing.
SO and I basically said things we hate doing. Mine was plumbing. His was yard work. Damn... I should have picked better.

We get along mostly now but it wasn't so much that we didn't do the chores together it was mostly that I was a disgusting animal and I had no idea.

What advise do you have? I'd particularly like women's opinions.
Don't get married. Save your money... party... travel... live it up and **** as many hot women as you want.

What did I miss... the woman was cheating on the man and you want to buy her flowers?

What did I miss... the woman was cheating on the man and you want to buy her flowers?

Might want to do something if he wants to keep her. Not everyone would instantly destroy their family, home, marriage and pretty much everything else over what they see as a sexual misdeed of the other.

So true. A small token of love is the most beautiful thing for me

Back
Top Bottom