• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Yom Kippur - Why I May Not Complete My Yom Kippur Fast

JBG

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
On Sunday, Erev Yom Kippur I played tennis in the morning. Right afterward I donated blood. The sky was a beautiful blue, and it was an unseasonable 77° or so. When I came home I went outside to read. It was a relaxing day, with no work until Tuesday, because the Jewish holiday of Yom Kippur starts at sundown today and stretches to sundown tomorrow. The weather was idyllic, and with tennis and blood donation I had a constructive and satisfying day. Yet something felt terribly, terribly wrong.

Yom Kippur is in many ways the keystone holiday on the Jewish calendar. This is the holiday where Jews atone for their sins to G-d, and are supposed to consider what they need to do to atone for the parts of those sins that are again man. Traditionally the holiday calls for a food and water fast for its duration. This is not as hard as it seems since it starts an hour before sundown, and stretches through the hours when you sleep. Starting after what would be lunchtime the fasting gets rougher, especially the part of "no water." Then, shortly after sundown (traditionally one hour) the relief of "fast-break" comes.

This comes with a cycle of services and sometimes seminars. The opening service is Kol Nidre, the breaking of all vows to G-d. Let's face it, people make promises they intend to, but cannot keep. Our synagogue is large to we split attendance by halves of the alphabet, but I digress. Any year that the service does not start on Friday night, it is also marked by the blast of the shofar. The next day one is pretty much in temple the whole day while the fast proceeds. There is, at our temple, an alternative seminar on subjects of Jewish interest, primarily for the holders of "early" service tickets. I usually attend that and read the sermon online when I have the "late" half. The services march into a Yizkor service, to remember the deceased, and conclude in a beautiful Neilah service. Followed by a delicious fast break.

This year, coronavirus has marred or ruined the holiday season. Whereas normally one greets people that they haven't seen since last year, and dress up, as well as commiserate about the fast, this year it is all on streaming platforms. It is not the same.

I will say that I had been brooding about this holiday a lot. One reason I donated blood on Erev Yom Kippur was that it was the first day I was eligible after my last donation, August 2. Also, more significantly, I wanted to do something that would benefit both G-d and people if I didn't fast, or make it through.

And fittingly, as I ate my dinner on the patio, the sky clouded over and it suddenly started to rain lightly.

I will say that I had been brooding about this holiday a lot. One reason I donated blood on Erev Yom Kippur was that it was the first day I was eligible after my last donation, August 2. Also, more significantly, I wanted to do something that would benefit both G-d and people if I didn't fast, or make it through.

How exactly does giving blood benefit god?

How exactly does giving blood benefit god?
To the extent G-d wants humans to benefit each other it does. I believe that the highest value is "pekuash nefesch" (sp) or "to save a life." Donations save lives.

To the extent G-d wants humans to benefit each other it does. I believe that the highest value is "pekuash nefesch" (sp) or "to save a life." Donations save lives.

Totally agree that donating blood saves lives. Totally agree it's a great value.
Generally speaking, it's about the easiest thing any human can do to help total strangers.

Still have no idea how god benefits from it. How do you know god even approves of it?
The Jehovah's Witnesses have a completely different opinion on giving blood. They think it's wrong.

Back
Top Bottom