• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Yet another reason to vote Trump

5 month turn around of the worst recession since the depression and you say there's no credit to give. Good God.
And economists will tell you that the recovery after severe recessions tend to be the most vigorous; Obama's was the worst since WW II.

poweRob said:
More people have filed for unemployment since March than voted for Trump in 2016. So no... get your facts straight.
Nonsensical factoid - so what?

90% of those deaths were people 55 years old and older. Almost 80% were over retirement age. How many of the people that have become unemployed do you think were under 55? Do you think it might have been a better idea to protect the vulnerable and let the lower risk people get back to work, so maybe that 8 million would not be 8 million?
Trump recommended the shut down

Nice try. Obama's last deficits were GOP adult supervision. He never had a deficit under a trillion until GOP had control of House.
What happened to the "adults" under Trump then? The cut taxes and increased spending that's what.

And economists will tell you that the recovery after severe recessions tend to be the most vigorous; Obama's was the worst since WW II.

Will they? Is that what economists will tell me? I'm sure you'll blame the length of the depression recovery on FDR as well right? That is the typical right wing thing to do. Trash economies and then scream about how long it takes dems to clean up their republican messes.

Economists say that financial collapses are the most difficult and slowest types of recessions to recover. The last one was the Great Depression as an example. Obama's recovery was the fastest of all western economies and we avoided the double dip that Europe suffered because of their failed "austerity plan".

Why has the recovery been so slow?

Type of recession: Recessions that are driven by a collapse of the financial sector, balance sheet recessions as they are known, are one of the most difficult types of recessions to recover from. That is because the collapse of the financial sector does great damage to the balance sheets of individual households. In the most recent recession, the typical household lost a considerable amount of home equity when the price bubble popped, stock values declined causing losses of retirement, education, and other types of saving, and widespread unemployment and underemployment caused households to use their accumulated saving just to survive month to month.

https://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Columns/2014/01/14/Why-Recovery-so-Agonizingly-Slow

I'll be honest.If I was lazy and useless and didn't want to work I'd sit home and get all those freebies.Then I'd vote for Biden.

Who is going to pay for the freebies? I reckon Joe’s take from the China Ukraine et al deals might cover 10,000 people for a year or two

All I can tell the forum is I voted for only Republicans and of course voted for Trump. My son informs me he will go to the polling station in person and vote for Trump.

My family here in Idaho voted for Trump. I have seen just one yard sign promoting Biden. Many for Trump.
Maybe Trump should run for governor in Idaho after he loses. You are welcome to him. Luckily Idaho is one of the few States he will carry.

Then blame trump

So, is it Trump's fault we are shutdown, or his fault for opening too early? If you would make up your minds, the stuff you post would not be nearly as stupid.

So, is it Trump's fault we are shutdown, or his fault for opening too early? If you would make up your minds, the stuff you post would not be nearly as stupid.
Look you want to blame the left for the shutdown when it was trump all along who recommended it.

Why didnt he just recommend quarantines for the vulnerable?

Well he didnt. He owns the shutdown.

Look you want to blame the left for the shutdown when it was trump all along who recommended it.

Why didnt he just recommend quarantines for the vulnerable?

Well he didnt. He owns the shutdown.

I did not "blame" anyone. I just said the shutdowns were and are not making things better.

He was listening to the scientists, at the time. I do not care who "owns" the shutdown. Laying the blame of continued shutdowns on one person is intellectually dishonest, at least to those with enough intellect to do so. For the rest, it is just partisan lying.

Perhaps if you, and your ilk, would make posts with a little more honesty, and not try so hard to blame everything on Donald Trump, your posts would be a little more coherent.

I did not "blame" anyone. I just said the shutdowns were and are not making things better.

He was listening to the scientists, at the time. I do not care who "owns" the shutdown. Laying the blame of continued shutdowns on one person is intellectually dishonest, at least to those with enough intellect to do so. For the rest, it is just partisan lying.

Perhaps if you, and your ilk, would make posts with a little more honesty, and not try so hard to blame everything on Donald Trump, your posts would be a little more coherent.

You said

Do you think it might have been a better idea to protect the vulnerable and let the lower risk people get back to work, so maybe that 8 million would not be 8 million?

Trumps official recommendation was not to do that

Facts are facts

You said

Do you think it might have been a better idea to protect the vulnerable and let the lower risk people get back to work, so maybe that 8 million would not be 8 million?

Trumps official recommendation was not to do that

Facts are facts

Yeah, facts are facts. You just do not seem to care much about them.

1. I did not blame the left for the shutdown. That is a fact.
2. I did not attempt to absolve Trump of any blame for the shutdown. That is a fact.

You have posted replies that are conflict with the two above facts. I wonder which one of us is having an issue with the facts.

Yeah, facts are facts. You just do not seem to care much about them.

1. I did not blame the left for the shutdown. That is a fact.
2. I did not attempt to absolve Trump of any blame for the shutdown. That is a fact.

You have posted replies that are conflict with the two above facts. I wonder which one of us is having an issue with the facts.
Then what is your point

LOL, seriously? Where have you been for the last 3 1/2 years? Lower taxes, reduced regulations. . . any of this sounding familiar? It has to economic decision makers.
The only positive thing trump did for the economy was be lucky enough to ride the coattails of the Obama Biden economy.

But true to his nature he got his hands on a good thing and ****ed it all up like all of his "businesses"...

MR King of debt, master of bankruptcy ran this country into the ground like everything he touches...

I don't think they purposely decided to screw up the world with the virus. What I think is that when it got loose-whether it was lab created or otherwise, they were unwilling to quickly take steps to contain it, nor were they willing to tell the rest of the world what they had done.
Sounds a bit familiar don't it???

Shutdowns are an indication that the country has failed in any attempt to limit the spread of the virus. It is not meant to be a cure. A "cure" requires a comprehensive national plan to fight the virus which Trump rejected because Blue States were having the most deaths at the time. Trump was not only slow to implement measures at the onset of the pandemic he has continued to fail us by not having a national plan. It was bad enough that States had to bid against each other and the Fed for needed PPE's but his refusal to help the States with contact tracing to root out hotspots is simply inexcusable. Bidens plan includes 100,000 contact tracers supplied by the Federal Govt. He will listen to the experts and get this virus finally under control. Biden is our only hope to get out from under this pandemic and restore our economy and that is the #1 reason he will win in a landslide. Americans are sick and tired of waiting for Trump's "miracle" and him saying "we are rounding the corner" while many States are having all time record highs of new cases.

Last edited:
Shutdowns are an indication that the country has failed in any attempt to limit the spread of the virus. It is not meant to be a cure. A "cure" requires a comprehensive national plan to fight the virus which Trump rejected because Blue States were having the most deaths at the time. Trump was not only slow to implement measures at the onset of the pandemic he has continued to fail us by not having a national plan. It was bad enough that States had to bid against each other and the Fed for needed PPE's but his refusal to help the States with contact tracing to root out hotspots is simply inexcusable. Bidens plan includes 100,000 contact tracers supplied by the Federal Govt.

Do you really think that 100,000 contact tracers are going to be able to do anything of value when there are millions of people that have been infected, with multiple millions more contacts? What the hell good does contact tracing do, anyway? Are they going to forcible quarantine those infected? Let me know how that works out.

Regarding COVID, one of two things will happen as soon as we know who the next President is:

1. If Trump wins, COVID will continue to be a crisis.
2. If Biden wins, COVID will magically go away.

Not magically, that's Trump's solution remember???

Biden will follow the science, tell the people the truth and just as with the second largest economic collapse in history he will lead us out of it...

Not magically, that's Trump's solution remember???

Biden will follow the science, tell the people the truth and just as with the second largest economic collapse in history he will lead us out of it...
I'm not talking about what Biden will do...or Trump.

I'm talking about what the media will do.

Do you really think that 100,000 contact tracers are going to be able to do anything of value when there are millions of people that have been infected, with multiple millions more contacts? What the hell good does contact tracing do, anyway? Are they going to forcible quarantine those infected? Let me know how that works out.
Sigh.....facepalm. You need to do some learning.

MONDAY, May 4, 2020 (HealthDay News) -- Many U.S. states are preparing to emerge from their quarantine cocoons, hoping to get their economies back on track.
But experts are concerned that these states have not yet created the public health infrastructure needed to safely reopen without causing a second wave of COVID-19 infections.
In particular, tens of thousands of new public health workers trained in contact tracing are needed to have any hope of heading off future outbreaks in local communities, warned Crystal Watson, a senior scholar with the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security.
Contact tracing "is the best tool we have to manage this in an ongoing way and allow our economy to open up again," said Watson, who recently co-authored a major report on public health's ongoing role in reopening America.
Watson estimates that the United States will need at least 100,000 workers trained in contact tracing across the nation, at a bare minimum, to keep COVID-19 at a manageable level.

"One of the most important steps to take to reopen the economy as safely as possible is to create a system of contact tracing. When social distancing is relaxed, contact tracing is our best hope for isolating the virus when it appears -- and keeping it isolated," former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who is helping lead the effort, said in a statement.
How contact tracing works

Contact tracing is essentially detective work, experts said.
"It is used to break chains of transmission, to manage epidemics of this virus at an ongoing low level, to prevent future waves or surges of cases, and to enable us to get back to work in a much safer way," Watson said.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200504/what-is-contact-tracing-and-how-does-it-work#1

I'm not talking about what Biden will do...or Trump.

I'm talking about what the media will do.
So the "Media" will stop overflowing our ICU's with covid 19 patients and stop killing 1000+ of us a day?

I do plenty of learning, just not about things that are irrelevant to me. If you are going to be condescending, make sure you are more intelligent than the other person.

Your quote still did not say how contact tracing works. "It is used to break chains of transmission" is a piss poor explanation, at best. Tell me, in your words, what contact tracing is going to do, specifically.

Back
Top Bottom