• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Yet Another "Jobs" Stimulus

NolaMan

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Again, as predicted, there is yet another "jobs stimulus" proposed by House Democrats...

WSJ Story

A few highlights:
- $65 billion to prevent a 21% cut in Medicare physician reimbursements that was left out of the healthcare bill so it would look "cheaper."
- $47 billion to extend unemployment insurance to nearly two full years because paying people not to work, actually somehow makes them work...
- "Paygo" budget rules, so heavily touted by the President somehow do not apply to this bill

And here is the best line of it all:
Representative Jim McDermott recently declared on the House floor that jobless payments are "one of the most effective forms of economic stimulus" because "every unemployment dollar spent returns $1.64 of economic benefits." So let's lay off everybody, pay them for not working, and watch the economy really boom. Where do they teach this stuff?

So, as I have asked before, I will ask again... When does it all end? How much "stimulus" is enough before we realize that it simply does not work?

So far, we have had a Bush stimulus, followed by TARP, followed by an Obama stimulus, followed by a jobs bill, followed now by this, and another proposed bill for $165 billion to pay union pension funds that are failing...all in the name of "jobs."

Last edited:
Again, as predicted, there is yet another "jobs stimulus" proposed by House Democrats...

WSJ Story

A few highlights:
- $65 billion to prevent a 21% cut in Medicare physician reimbursements that was left out of the healthcare bill so it would look "cheaper."
- $47 billion to extend unemployment insurance to nearly two full years because paying people not to work, actually somehow makes them work...
- "Paygo" budget rules, so heavily touted by the President somehow do not apply to this bill

So, as I have asked before, I will ask again... When does it all end? How much "stimulus" is enough before we realize that it simply does not work?

So far, we have had a Bush stimulus, followed by TARP, followed by an Obama stimulus, followed by a jobs bill, followed now by this, and another proposed bill for $165 billion to pay union pension funds that are failing...all in the name of "jobs."

They say that ignorance is bliss.

I kind of miss the days when I didn't know what the government was doing. Kind of like Vaseline on the lens or Novocain on the soul.

They say that ignorance is bliss.

I kind of miss the days when I didn't know what the government was doing. Kind of like Vaseline on the lens or Novocain on the soul.

Ahh yes, the Reagan administration.

Much better times for America. Gonna take another 8 years of a Reagan to undo the 4 years of Carter Jr...

Much better times for America. Gonna take another 8 years of a Reagan to undo the 4 years of Carter Jr...

Don't get your hopes up. Part of the reason I voted for Obama was that I hoped he would undo the havoc that Bush Jr brought to this country and it isn't happening. Don't assume the same will not happen for your side.

:rofl
Yes, my childhood- it was quite blissful.

Popsicles during the summer, dinner every night, a warm bed and a roof over my head.

Sometimes I wish I could just go back. :rofl

:rofl
Yes, my childhood- it was quite blissful.

Popsicles during the summer, dinner every night, a warm bed and a roof over my head.

Sometimes I wish I could just go back. :rofl

You don't get that now?

The entire Reagan administration was one big stimulus package. Every year the government spent far more money then it brought in taxes. Leading to a drastically increased debt to GDP ratio.

IE Governmental economical stimulus. Conservatives love being stimulated by the government, just dont call it governmental love

Don't get your hopes up. Part of the reason I voted for Obama was that I hoped he would undo the havoc that Bush Jr brought to this country and it isn't happening. Don't assume the same will not happen for your side.

You voted for Obama cause he was an historic black candidate.

Just admit to that, cause if you admit to buying his bull**** promises during the Campaign...

WSJ Story

A few highlights:

The bold is the much anticipated "doc fix."

When that passes, you can be assured that the health care bill will actually cost more than was touted.

Just admit to that, cause if you admit to buying his bull**** promises during the Campaign...

I couldn't care less if he was black, sure I think its neat to finally have a president who is not white, but its no reason to vote or not vote for someone. I saw him as better than McCain and yes I did believe his campaign. Not the pep rally hope change stuff, but his actual proposed policy.

I do find your inability to look beyond race as interesting though.

Last edited:

Maybe there are other choices? Here, I'll turn it around so you can see what it is you're doing:

You voted for McCain either because you're a racist OR because you hate America. Take your pick!

I think maybe there's a possibility that people voted for Obama because his political platform more closely matched their own. Others voted for Obama because they saw what 8 years of Republicans in charge did to the country. I bet a few even voted for Obama because he was just so damned pretty. A fair number might have thought the risk of McCain dying in office was too high and Palin being in charge is a terrifying prospect.

Maybe there are more possibilities than what you said. Maybe.

If by "cost more" you mean "not reduce the deficit as much."

You're quoting that 1.3 Trillion savings number from Obama's lips? Let's put it this way, if there were odds in Vegas on those savings actually being realized in 10 years with an over / under of 1 Trillion... I'd so bet the farm against it.

but his actual proposed policy.

HE had no proposed policy... just Hope and Change.

Could you give a few examples of these "proposed Policies" you thought were so wonderful? I followed both camps, and Obama's was CRAZY short on specifics and heavy on Rhetoric.

When are folks going to learn that the government can't create jobs nor can it create wealth?

You're quoting that 1.3 Trillion savings number from Obama's lips? Let's put it this way, if there were odds in Vegas on those savings actually being realized in 10 years with an over / under of 1 Trillion... I'd so bet the farm against it.

I swear to god conservatives on this message board have been taking LSD. Because you seem to be hallucinating. You know, that part where I quoted a 1.3 trillion dollar savings. That part. YOU HALLUCINATED THAT PART.

No he means, not reduce it at all.

Don't you know that much of the savings were coming from the Medicare cuts.
Well now the doc fix, that we all knew was going to happen, has been put in this bill.

It's a shell game.
If you believed that it would actually save money, you got played.

I'm fairly sure that after we include the cost of the doctor fix over the ten year period, combined with the fact that many of the delayed taxes will be "patched" or repealed altogether, the bill will not even come close to breaking even.

This proposed doc fix will last 2.5 years and will cost $63 billion. The cost to fix it over the ten year period is $276 billion.

When are folks going to learn that the government can't create jobs nor can it create wealth?

Quite

The millions of people employed in or supporting the military are not really working

And of course the Golden Gate bridge, the Hoover Dam are all worthless pieces of crap and should be destroyed so private industry can create a toll bridge and a dam that will have created wealth rather then the money pits the Hoover Dam and GG bridge currently are

I'm fairly sure that after we include the cost of the doctor fix over the ten year period, combined with the fact that many of the delayed taxes will be "patched" or repealed altogether, the bill will not even come close to breaking even.

This proposed doc fix will last 2.5 years and will cost $63 billion. The cost to fix it over the ten year period is $276 billion.

Of course it wont break even

But that does not mean that it will (or could) not save money overall for the US economy through better cost controls.

Back
Top Bottom