• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Yesterday's Clean Sweep for Drug Policy Reform Suggests That Prohibition May Collapse Sooner Than Expected

PoS

Minister of Love
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian

"These results once again illustrate that support for legalization extends across geographic and demographic lines," says Eric Altieri, director of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws. "The success of these initiatives proves definitively that marijuana legalization is not exclusively a 'blue' state issue, but an issue that is supported by a majority of all Americans—regardless of party politics."

The South Dakota results were not the only first yesterday. By a margin of more than 3 to 1, voters in Washington, D.C., approved quasi-decriminalization of "entheogenic plants and fungi." That initiative, which says suppressing the use of such substances should be "among the lowest law enforcement priorities for the District of Columbia," goes further than similar measures enacted recently in Denver, Ann Arbor, Oakland, and Santa Cruz, since it applies to noncommercial production and distribution as well as possession and covers ibogaine, dimethyltryptamine, and mescaline in addition to psilocybin and psilocin (although it does not include a prohibition on the use of public funds to pursue such cases).

Oregon, meanwhile, became the first jurisdiction in the United States to legalize psilocybin and the first to decriminalize possession of all drugs.
Pot is now more or less legal in 15 states. I wonder how long it'll take before all drugs are decriminalized? The sooner the better.

Agreed. I think removing the impetus for pretextual stops and the egregious civil rights violations done in the name of the WoD will go a long way towards repairing the broken relationship between law enforcement and the communities they serve.

Agreed. I think removing the impetus for pretextual stops and the egregious civil rights violations done in the name of the WoD will go a long way towards repairing the broken relationship between law enforcement and the communities they serve.
Much (most) of the militarization of the police and the overarching authority of the DEA is the direct result, and politically driven outcome of the War On Drugs. Consider the cost (on financials and society at large) of the piecemeal legislation of forcing local and state governments to craft their own laws, compared to the costs incurred if MJ in particular and to a lesser degree other Schedule I/II drugs were legalized and states only had to contend with subsequent rules and regulations.

Reactions: PoS
Much (most) of the militarization of the police and the overarching authority of the DEA is the direct result, and politically driven outcome of the War On Drugs. Consider the cost (on financials and society at large) of the piecemeal legislation of forcing local and state governments to craft their own laws, compared to the costs incurred if MJ in particular and to a lesser degree other Schedule I/II drugs were legalized and states only had to contend with subsequent rules and regulations.
The DEA mantra is that pot is supposedly a gateway drug to the harder stuff. The Feds dont want their budgets cut, so they will fight hard against this.

The DEA mantra is that pot is supposedly a gateway drug to the harder stuff. The Feds dont want their budgets cut, so they will fight hard against this.
The gateway drug mantra has always been a joke, everybody knows tobacco and alcohol are the gateway drugs, if such a thing exists.

Reactions: PoS
The gateway drug mantra has always been a joke, everybody knows tobacco and alcohol are the gateway drugs, if such a thing exists.
I agree. Anti-druggers just say this stuff because it keeps them employed.

I'm slated for heart valve surgery in December. One of the critical things they stressed when I met with the surgical team was that if you drink, alcohol withdrawal symptoms can make your after-surgery stay in the ICU much longer & more painful. I was drinking but since I got my Medical Marijuana card I've been getting stoned every evening. That & the drug baclofen have served to completely eliminate my craving for alcohol. Today is day four so far no symptoms of withdrawal, so I should be good in another 30 days when I'm in the hospital.

In my case, pot has relieved my need for alcohol because you can't drink & do pot at the same time. The result is making you very ill.

I'm making my first batch of MJ brownies & hope my wife brings me some when she visits me in the ICU.

I'm slated for heart valve surgery in December. One of the critical things they stressed when I met with the surgical team was that if you drink, alcohol withdrawal symptoms can make your after-surgery stay in the ICU much longer & more painful. I was drinking but since I got my Medical Marijuana card I've been getting stoned every evening. That & the drug baclofen have served to completely eliminate my craving for alcohol. Today is day four so far no symptoms of withdrawal, so I should be good in another 30 days when I'm in the hospital.

In my case, pot has relieved my need for alcohol because you can't drink & do pot at the same time. The result is making you very ill.

I'm making my first batch of MJ brownies & hope my wife brings me some when she visits me in the ICU.
Why not just lay off the pot and the drinks until after your operation? Good luck, btw.

Back
Top Bottom