• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Yes, Kamala Harris Is Eligible to Be Vice President

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

2019-03-26T005010Z_882969636_RC14D60E7D00_RTRMADP_3_USA-ELECTION-HARRIS-425x283.jpg

8/13/20
Some people have argued that Kamala Harris is ineligible to be vice president of the United States. The Constitution requires presidents and vice presidents to be "natural-born citizens"; Harris was born in the U.S., but her parents (who had come to the U.S. to study) weren't U.S. citizens at the time. Does "natural-born citizen" include Harris, and others like her? The 14th Amendment does have a narrow exception for people who were not "subject to the jurisdiction" of the U.S. at birth, but the Court made clear that this was a narrow exception for "children of members of the Indian tribes," who were at the time not citizens, "children born of alien enemies in hostile occupation" and "children of diplomatic representatives of a foreign State." Children born to non-citizens living here are certainly subject to the jurisdiction of American courts—no one thinks, for instance, that they are immune from criminal prosecutions or civil lawsuits. They are likewise "subject to the jurisdiction" of the United States for citizenship purposes. But the Constitution itself was to a limited degree skeptical of immigration, in limiting the presidency and vice presidency to "natural-born citizens" and excluding naturalized ones. The Framers were concerned that foreigners who immigrated into the U.S. might have enough allegiance to their former countries that they should not be trusted with the highest office in the land.

But the Framers embodied this policy in a clear set of qualifications: The president must be "a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution"; must have "been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States" (another way of screening out people who might be too foreign); and must "have attained to the Age of thirty five Years." Someone who is, say, married to a foreign citizen or has children with foreign citizenship, or is even related by blood to a foreign royal house (a matter that may have been of some concern when the U.S. was still young and relatively weak), was not disqualified. It was up to the political process to decide whether to elect such a person—it was not a matter of constitutional disqualification. The same is true for people born in the U.S. whose parents were foreign citizens. They were "natural-born subjects" under English law, and thus "natural-born citizens" to the Framers. Kamala Harris easily fits within that category.

I suggest our Trumpers look up settled US case law on who is considered a "natural born citizen".

Ms. Harris checks all the Constitutional boxes regarding US citizenship and running for Vice President.

2019-03-26T005010Z_882969636_RC14D60E7D00_RTRMADP_3_USA-ELECTION-HARRIS-425x283.jpg

I suggest our Trumpers look up settled US case law on who is considered a "natural born citizen".

Ms. Harris checks all the Constitutional boxes regarding US citizenship and running for Vice President.

,la has enough problems checking all the boxes she thinks she needs to check in order to fit in these days without sounding as daft as Joe.

From 13AUG press briefing:

Q There are claims circulating on social media that Kamala Harris is not eligible to be — to run for Vice President because she was an “anchor baby,” I quote. Do you or can you definitively say whether or not Kamala Harris is eligible — legal — and meets the legal requirements to run as Vice President?

THE PRESIDENT: So, I just heard that. I heard it today that she doesn’t meet the requirements. And, by the way, the lawyer that wrote that piece is a very highly qualified, very talented lawyer. I have no idea if that’s right. I would’ve — I would have assumed the Democrats would have checked that out before she gets chosen to run for Vice President.

Q (Inaudible.)

THE PRESIDENT: But that’s a very serious — you’re saying that — they’re saying that she doesn’t qualify because she wasn’t born in this country?

Q She was.

Q No, she was born in this country, but her parents did not — the claims say that her parents did not receive their permanent residence at that time.

THE PRESIDENT: Yeah, I don’t know about it. I just heard about it. I’ll take a look.

From 13AUG press briefing:

Q There are claims circulating on social media that Kamala Harris is not eligible to be — to run for Vice President because she was an “anchor baby,” I quote. Do you or can you definitively say whether or not Kamala Harris is eligible — legal — and meets the legal requirements to run as Vice President?

THE PRESIDENT: So, I just heard that. I heard it today that she doesn’t meet the requirements. And, by the way, the lawyer that wrote that piece is a very highly qualified, very talented lawyer. I have no idea if that’s right. I would’ve — I would have assumed the Democrats would have checked that out before she gets chosen to run for Vice President.

Q (Inaudible.)

THE PRESIDENT: But that’s a very serious — you’re saying that — they’re saying that she doesn’t qualify because she wasn’t born in this country?

Q She was.

Q No, she was born in this country, but her parents did not — the claims say that her parents did not receive their permanent residence at that time.

THE PRESIDENT: Yeah, I don’t know about it. I just heard about it. I’ll take a look.

Some Questions for Kamala Harris About Eligibility | Opinion

Probably referring to this law professor

Which "Trumpers" are actually saying she's not eligible.

By the way, you know it was Newsweek that published Eastman's op-ed in the first place, right?

A question...if we are to make up stuff about candidates and if they are eligible to run for and be president or vice president....

Since Trump's grandmother and grandfather were German nationals who came to the US, and then sold all of their possessions to move back to Germany to live and renounce US citizenship and only came back to the US because the Germans wouldn't take them back..would that not be a case of showing that their place of jurisdiction is of Germany because that is what they preferred to be thereby disqualifying them as citizens? Thereby making their children and grand children ineligible?

Now, I am being sarcastic here, but my point is that if I use the logic the right is using about Harris right now, then that logic leads me to the conclusion that Donald J. Trump should not be president. We all know that it isn't true, but then again, so is the claim that Harris is ineligible as well.

,la has enough problems checking all the boxes she thinks she needs to check in order to fit in these days without sounding as daft as Joe.

She's gonna beat your posterior come November 3rd.

Wait, what do Trumpers have to do with it? I would think liberals and lefties would be the ones most interested in disqualifying her, she is toxic to the far left for her crazy prosecutions and is toxic for the moderates for too many reasons to list, and what does this woman stand for anyway?

She's the perfect candidate from a Trumper perspective I would think, as is Biden, together they make the A team.

Who's suggesting she's not eligible?

Trump did. He stated: " I heard it today that she doesn't meet the requirements. And by the way, the lawyer that wrote that piece is a very highly qualified, very talented lawyer. I have no idea if that's right."

He floated disparaging false crap. Then endorsed the person who initiated the crap calling that person "very qualifed". Then he states he did not check to see if what he was repeating was true before he uttered it.

So how is a person who makes no effort to check if what he is saying is true credible in anything he says?

Good God man, Trump has evidenced he will repeat things without first knowing if they are accurate and true. Who do you think he was repeating this too?

You really want to pretend Trump did not spread this bs to his supporters and had no idea they would repeat it? Really?

Last edited:
Let's be clear. Trump is on record just before the 2018 midterm elections to Jonathan Swan of Axios hat he planned to issue an executive order to federal agencies that would eclare that children born in the United States to non-citizens were not entitled to U.S. citizenship at birth.

source:Trump Vowed to Undo Law That Made Kamala Harris American

Trump made other ridiculously incorrect statements in regards to the above. The point is Trump believed in the crap he repeated otherwise he would not have endorsed the person who initiated the crap and repeated it to his followers and demonstrated two years ago be was subscribing to a crackpot conspiracy theory.

Trump did. He stated: " I heard it today that she doesn't meet the requirements. And by the way, the lawyer that wrote that piece is a very highly qualified, very talented lawyer. I have no idea if that's right."

Who is the lawyer?

S/He'd be the one to cite.

He floated disparaging false crap. Then endorsed the person who initiated the crap calling that person "very qualifed". Then he states he did not check to see if what he was repeating was true before he uttered it.

So how is a person who makes no effort to check if what he is saying is true credible in anything he says?

Good God man, Trump has evidenced he will repeat things without first knowing if they are accurate and true. Who do you think he was repeating this too?

You really want to pretend Trump did not spread this bs to his supporters and had no idea they would repeat it? Really?

^^^and this is where you lose all future credibility.

Who is the lawyer?

S/He'd be the one to cite.

Your comment makes no sense. Trump quoted the lawyer not once but many times as to this lawyer's claim that if you are born in the US bt any of your parents are not you are not qualified to be US President. That legal opinion has been quoted by Trump many times including the last time he quoted it.

I think what you may be trying to say is Trump can repeat any crap he wants as long as he can say it comes from someone else and so has no culpability for repeating idiotic statements and endorsing the people who make such idiotic statements.

In the real world when you repeat things you admit you do not know are true, it shows you are irresponsible and lack any credibility. Any adult let alone the holder of the highest office in the US does not need to be told they should not repeat things unless they are 100% sure as to what theysay.

Both conservative and progressive lawyers and every damn constitutional lawyer in the US rejected Trump's claim he could use a Presidential order to ban anyone from running for President whose parents were not born in the US.

Bringing up this issue was meant to attack the right of any American born in the US from parents not born in the US the right to be President. It was meant to pander to racists. Its what Trump does. He feels it appropriate to disparage Americans he feels are not "white Americans". He appeals to a minority of racists.

Name the Republican senators, congressman or governors that agree with Trump's comments.

Most important maybe Trump and you should read the US constitution and cite it before citing crap from some idiot who was quickly disowned by the legal community for his moronic attempt to suggest a President can by executive order change the US Constitution as Trump bragged he could based in citing this lawyer.

Last edited:
don't we all know what the Birthers are really like?

^^^and this is where you lose all future credibility.

..and because you want to pose that Trump did not deliberately spread false crap is that credible? If he did not intend to inflame his supporters why did he repeat this crap? Go on explain. Speaking about losing credibility, if you Trump apologists want to defend Trump's gutter politics go ahead but to question me calling it out as inflammatory bait for his audience is nonsensical. Yah he repeated it to spread love to his followers. You Trump apologists are a joke with the attempts to deny what he said and why.

Last edited:

Yep ! it must be upsetting ! Using their tactics,
He's beating the Leftists communists at their own game...

Yep ! it must be upsetting ! Using their tactics,
He's beating the Leftists communists at their own game...

Can you share the method of analysis you used to ascertain these tactics are working.

Next, no they are not upsetting. Emotions are something Trump is no doubt trying to incite. He is trying to upset people and inflame however it is probable at this point most Americans have grown desensitized to it as a tactic since its been so over-used. If anything it may cause sympathy and therefore votes for Harris.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom