• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Yes, Gender Politics Has Gotten This Stupid

This is what you said. Don't try to deny it now.
Right. A lot of the same reasons. I'm not sure how you read that and interpreted it as "Surrogacy is buying sex." Then re-read it *again* as you went to quote it, didn't stop to think "Hmm, maybe I misunderstood what was written, and should actually parse the words in that sentence before I embarrass myself," and hit reply.

Last edited:
Right. A lot of the same reasons. I'm not sure how you read that and interpreted it as "Surrogacy is buying sex." Then re-read it *again* as you went to quote it, didn't stop to think "Hmm, maybe I misunderstood what was written, and should actually parse the words in that sentence before I embarrass myself," and hit reply.
You made the absurd claim that surrogacy is buying sex, despite the fact that when if they are using IVF the couple is not having sex with the surrogate. The fertilized embryo is implanted with surgery.

You made the absurd claim that surrogacy is buying sex,
Are you ****ing incapable of reading a simple sentence? At no point did I make that claim. I'm sorry if you scored badly on the SAT Verbal section, but you're older than me so it's long past time you got over that particular insecurity.
despite the fact that when if they are using IVF the couple is not having sex with the surrogate. The fertilized embryo is implanted with surgery.
I said that a lot of my squeamishness about legalizing surrogacy-for-hire are the same objections that I have to legalizing sex-for-hire. And then I listed my specific objections and noted the need to weigh these costs of surrogacy against the societal benefits of more babies and more parents having the desired number of children.

If you actually want to talk about the substantive issue, let me know. I'm not interested in walking you through the syntax of every sentence I write.

They're plenty fertile with women!

If they're infertile!
This seems like a non-sequitur. The purpose of the infertility requirement is to not pay for an expensive treatment for a couple who would otherwise be quite capable of conceiving a child together the "natural" way. The gay couple clearly is infertile by that definition.

Yes, they could go have a child with a woman the "natural" way...but no one would ever tell a heterosexual couple to do this. If the guy in a heterosexual partnership is shooting blanks, would you find it acceptable for the insurance company to tell the woman "Sorry, you're perfectly capable of having a child with someone else. Go **** Giga-Chad instead of this loser." That would seem highly inappropriate to me.

Last edited:
This seems like a non-sequitur. The purpose of the infertility requirement is to not pay for an expensive treatment for a couple who would otherwise be quite capable of conceiving a child together the "natural" way. The gay couple clearly is infertile by that definition.

Yes, they could go have a child with a woman the "natural" way...but no one would ever tell a heterosexual couple to do this. If the guy in a heterosexual partnership is shooting blanks, would you find it acceptable for the insurance company to tell the woman "Sorry, you're perfectly capable of having a child with someone else. Go **** Giga-Chad instead of this loser." That would seem highly inappropriate to me.

No, it's not that they're infertile, it's that they're biologically not capable of conceiving a child together.

...because it's two men. I can't believe I even had to type that out.

No, it's not that they're infertile, it's that they're biologically not capable of conceiving a child together.
That is pretty close to how I would define infertile, at least for all practical/legal purposes.

I dont know why anyone can be shocked by any of this shit anymore. There are posters on this site that in just the last few days have proclaimed that its "science" that a man that believes he is a woman is really no...REALLY...a woman...and that woman got two other women pregnant.

The ****ing lunacy knows no bounds or limits.

The government should heavily subsidize IVF treatments for couples who want a baby. I'd probably go farther and say that it should be free.

More babies are a good thing for society.

For those complaining about the cost or asking why the government should pay for IVF, I'd just like to point out that the value of a baby's lifetime earnings is much, much more than the cost of IVF.

Last edited:
Are you ****ing incapable of reading a simple sentence? At no point did I make that claim. I'm sorry if you scored badly on the SAT Verbal section, but you're older than me so it's long past time you got over that particular insecurity.

I said that a lot of my squeamishness about legalizing surrogacy-for-hire are the same objections that I have to legalizing sex-for-hire. And then I listed my specific objections and noted the need to weigh these costs of surrogacy against the societal benefits of more babies and more parents having the desired number of children.

If you actually want to talk about the substantive issue, let me know. I'm not interested in walking you through the syntax of every sentence I write.
Surrogacy has nothing to do with sex for hire. Why are you trying to equate the two unrelated ideas?

https://connect.asrm.org/lpg/resources/surrogacy-by-state?ssopc=1

Surrogacy has nothing to do with sex for hire. Why are you trying to equate the two unrelated ideas?

https://connect.asrm.org/lpg/resources/surrogacy-by-state?ssopc=1
You clearly can't understand what I wrote even when it has been explained to you multiple times, so just take the L and go away. Why would you think I would have any interest in arguing with you about a view that I don't actually hold? If you want to talk about the view on surrogacy that I *did* put forth and *do* hold, then by all means, make your case. But I have no interest in these stupid straw men. What's even the point of them? Why are you even trying to argue a point when no one is taking the opposite side?

You clearly can't understand what I wrote even when it has been explained to you multiple times, so just take the L and go away. Why would you think I would have any interest in arguing with you about an view that I don't actually hold? If you want to talk about the view on surrogacy that I *did* put forth and *do* hold, then by all means, make your case. But I have no interest in these stupid straw men. What's even the point of them? Why are you even trying to argue this point when no one is taking the opposite side?
You have no clue what you are talking about. The facts of the matter are not strawmen. Sex has nothing to do with surrogacy and surrogacy is legal.

Sex has nothing to do with surrogacy
Ok. Wonderful. I don't know who you are trying to convince of this obvious point, but sure. :rolleyes:
and surrogacy is legal.
Yes, surrogacy-for-hire is legal in a handful of US states and a few Soviet bloc countries, as my post noted. Most everywhere else, it's either banned or there just aren't any laws/institutions on the books for handling it.

Like I said, I'm cautiously supportive of those handful of states continuing their experiment but I would want to closely monitor the results before more states/countries followed them down that path. There is the potential for some very dark outcomes here with coercion and trafficking. If we don't want to go down that path then the states where it is legal should put up lots of safeguards and be very transparent about their results. And other states/countries should be very cautious about following them.

Last edited:
You've presented an emotional plea not a valid argument.

The list of things that progressives believe people are owed is ever growing and endless.
When the fertility rate is hovering at 1.7 (well below the replacement rate), policies that increase that seem well worth the cost and in the best interests of society. Including paying for IVF.

For those complaining about the cost or asking why the government should pay for IVF, I'd just like to point out that the value of a baby's lifetime earnings is much, much more than the cost of IVF.
When the fertility rate is hovering at 1.7 (well below the replacement rate), policies that increase that seem well worth the cost and in the best interests of society. Including paying for IVF.

The baby's lifetime earnings is much, much more? Is that what you'd write as an appeal for the denied claim?

lol…. Makes me think of the old man and his view on gay marriage. He said he didn’t care if a man wants to have sex with a chicken. Knock yourself out. But when the man wants the benefits of marriage to said chicken that’s where he would have to draw the line.

The baby's lifetime earnings is much, much more? Is that what you'd write as an appeal for the denied claim?
I'm talking more about public policy. If it's a private insurer, obviously they don't care about that. What I'm saying is that the public should cover the cost of IVF, and this will obviously pay for itself many times over. Let's make it as easy as possible for would-be parents to have kids.

Last edited:
You can do both. And those "truly in need" include children.

Children are living in poverty because their parents live in poverty. If you don't think that's the government's problem, then should the government intervene negatively in those families, ie take the children away? Or should government support ONLY those families, creating a Perverse Incentive to all parents not to work hard?
Your worlds, not mine. What I said is what I meant.

I was talking about all parents, so presumably @NatMorton was too.

NM has no solution to children being raised in poverty. It's the parents fault, therefore nobody else has an role.
You could have a role, if that role wasn't to excuse the bad choices that led to the poverty, or the children, or the lack of education that all continue the poverty throughout generations.
You can take the children, stop paying unfit parent's to have them, and put the children in decent schools, with support (from you).
THAT would change the generational poverty cycle.

You know what won't? Giving them more money.

You could have a role, if that role wasn't to excuse the bad choices that led to the poverty, or the children, or the lack of education that all continue the poverty throughout generations.
You can take the children, stop paying unfit parent's to have them, and put the children in decent schools, with support (from you).
THAT would change the generational poverty cycle.

You know what won't? Giving them more money.
You cannot take children away because their parents are poor. The social services network has failed but it isn't the parent's fault and it is extremely traumatic to remove the children. The foster network is a disaster of abuse and exploitation. .

Back
Top Bottom