• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ya'll probably think this is normal . . .

MaggieD

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Well, it's sure the NEW normal.

Ordered phone service a week ago from ATT Uverse as part of a package. They were supposed to install it on October 1st. They didn't. They entered the order as a "self-install" so, when I called to let them know that, they weren't going to be able to install it until next week. After HOURS on the phone, we elected to do the install ourselves and do it a different way than we'd intended. So now we have the phone line I needed by Saturday so I could leave my mom alone for a few hours. Right? Wrong.

And can they credit the installation fee they charged?? Yes, provided I wait until I get billed for it and email to the address the service rep gave me. Can't do it now . . .

Today, I just happened to think to double-check 911 service. I live 5 miles from O'Hare Field and 1 mile from my police station. So I dialed 911. Well, it hooks me up to a town 15 miles away. I just spent an HOUR on the phone with ATT Uverse and they "say" it'll be working in two hours or so. Ask me if I believe that.

The STRESS that people are under today because of absolutely inexcusable customer service...products released before they're ready for prime time...constantly reaching voice mail instead of live people...having to push 7 buttons on one's phone before getting to a real live person...reaching heavily accented people in India who, if they can't help you, are just as likely to disconnect your call as to send you up the chain of command...

Customer Service is the new old dinosaur. It doesn't exist anymore.

RANT OFF.

I'm mad as hell, and I'm not taking it anymore!!!!!

There absolutely has to be some sort of government involvement at work here to create such chaos and inefficiency Maggie_ :peace

Ordered phone service a week ago from ATT Uverse as part of a package. They were supposed to install it on October 1st. They didn't. They entered the order as a "self-install" so, when I called to let them know that, they weren't going to be able to install it until next week. After HOURS on the phone, we elected to do the install ourselves and do it a different way than we'd intended. So now we have the phone line I needed by Saturday so I could leave my mom alone for a few hours. Right? Wrong.

And can they credit the installation fee they charged?? Yes, provided I wait until I get billed for it and email to the address the service rep gave me. Can't do it now . . .

Today, I just happened to think to double-check 911 service. I live 5 miles from O'Hare Field and 1 mile from my police station. So I dialed 911. Well, it hooks me up to a town 15 miles away. I just spent an HOUR on the phone with ATT Uverse and they "say" it'll be working in two hours or so. Ask me if I believe that.

The STRESS that people are under today because of absolutely inexcusable customer service...products released before they're ready for prime time...constantly reaching voice mail instead of live people...having to push 7 buttons on one's phone before getting to a real live person...reaching heavily accented people in India who, if they can't help you, are just as likely to disconnect your call as to send you up the chain of command...

RANT OFF.

It's kind of amusing. Before all this instant contact stuff I was perfectly happy to go about my life if I couldn't reach the person I needed to talk to. Now it's a point of frustration. My phone can do things today my whole neighborhood couldn't do 30 years ago but the flip side is that my whole neighborhood may as well be a million miles away when I need them today.

There absolutely has to be some sort of government involvement at work here to create such chaos and inefficiency Maggie_ :peace

BWAHAHAHaHA!!!

A private, non-govt, employee working for a capitalist enterprise demonstrates it's incompetence!!

Blows some people's mind

RANT OFF.

Just be glad you weren't ordering cable TV

Yeah, maybe the delay was because the NSA was trying to monitor Maggies calls.

Last edited:

RANT OFF.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, I have to deal with ATT both professionally and personally,
It seems to be just as much headache ether way.
Your Issue with the 911 service, is that is is difficult with a Voice over IP (VoIP) phone to
determine your location. You call appears to originate from where they connect from their
internet service to the POTS(Plain Old Telephone Service ).
I suspect the 911 services may have a work around, but I know my magic jack said there were
issues with 911 service.
This link covers it deeper.
911 - Emergency calls with VoIP

I don't think it's normal at all, which is one of the things which indicates my age. :lol:
With the technology age, comes depersonalization, and imo, this is just a symptom of it.

Yeah, maybe the delay was because the NSA was trying to monitor Maggies calls.
Ah-Hah! I've always suspected little miss Maggie of being a dangerous dissident dastard of deceit and destruction!

It must be those beady eyes and evil smirk that first made me suspicious__"Maggie" probably isn't even her real name!:shock:

Just be glad you weren't ordering cable TV

Oh, Sangha! I went through that, too. Haven't we all?? When I first ordered UVerse and disconnected my Comcast, it took me MONTHS of calling once a week and their sending out a service guy to fix pixilating and freezing until one guy finally said, "Look, they don't want to drop a new line from the pole to your house because that's really expensive. And until they do that? You're going to have these same problems forever." After that, I called once a week and each time demanded a new line drop. They finally did it and gave me two months' credit.

GOD!!!! I hate cable companies!!!!

Trust me Maggie, this is a symptom of the increased pressure you're feeling in the early stages of the change in your life, now taking care of your mom. Every little irritation and inconvenience is magnified because you're overwhelmed with so many new things you have to do and take care of and you just want things to work. Believe me when I say that in time all of these little problems will become laughable to you and you and your mom will just pretty much laugh off anything that doesn't go right because it's just not that important any more. You will, also, trust me, go batsh*t crazy sometimes and cry and scream and rant and punch the walls, but then it will pass and as time goes on you'll have fewer and fewer of them as the new reality becomes the norm. I feel for you and pray for you and wish you all the best.

Oh, Sangha! I went through that, too. Haven't we all?? When I first ordered UVerse and disconnected my Comcast, it took me MONTHS of calling once a week and their sending out a service guy to fix pixilating and freezing until one guy finally said, "Look, they don't want to drop a new line from the pole to your house because that's really expensive. And until they do that? You're going to have these same problems forever." After that, I called once a week and each time demanded a new line drop. They finally did it and gave me two months' credit.

Cable companies have long been government sanctioned monopolies which explains their high rates, low quality and lack of service_

They're exactly like the government that sanctions them so what else should we suspect?! :thumbdown

Cable companies are like any other utility that depends upon a common infrastructure (like electricity, water, etc.). They are intensely regulated. That most folks don't know their rights where it comes the cable companies is their fault, most folks just can't be bothered to learn.

There are alternatives, more by the day. Depending on where you are and which local cable company is operating on the infrastructure in your area, cable can be the least expensive and most robust option. For instance, in my area, cable is rock solid and no more expensive than any of the reliable alternatives. The service is also brilliant, they've done away with the whole open-ended range of appointment time and now schedule specific service call times.

If you don't like the phone and cable service in your area, you can always move

Moving Company Held Possessions 'Hostage,' Couple Says | AOL Real Estate

RANT OFF.

I've been going through the same basic thing with Sprint, although for me it's lasted the past 6 months. You have every right to be upset, although I hope you don't let them ruin your day.

I belong to Angie's List, so you can always pm me if you want to know the reviews of any of these companies. Angie's List actually has a real person answer the phone right away and they're very knowledgeable and respectful. After I hung up with Angie's List I felt like a million bucks, as I didn't expect to be treated so well after constantly dealing with substandard customer service.

RANT OFF.

Think you're mad now, just wait until government runs health care.

Cable companies have long been government sanctioned monopolies which explains their high rates, low quality and lack of service_

They're exactly like the government that sanctions them so what else should we suspect?! :thumbdown

The government was very nice to AT&T, aka the Bell System.

RANT OFF.

The last time I dealt with at&t was when i moved three months ago to a nicer place. They gave me three weeks toove the DSL, I agreed. Three weeks go by and they get the address wrong. No DSL. I call them, never once raised my voice and ended up on the phone two managers up. By the time I was done. I gave them two days to fix it.
Long story short, I have cable internet now.
They lost me for life.

RANT OFF.

You should have asked me about UVerse. I have horror stories. *sigh* And nothing I can do about it. It's either UVerse or nothing.

Back
Top Bottom