• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Yahoo! News' new format

poweRob

USMC 1988-1996
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Yahoo! News' new format

It is so ****ing terrible it's pissing me off. I've used it as a good news source for many many years. It's so bad. Now they are disguising ads into their news articles so that they look like news. It's not an all out deception but clearly it is deception in practice. You now have the ability to close out story headlines and teasers on the homepage... but not the embedded ads that look like stories.

Advertisement is such a disgusting practice anymore. With this Yahoo! News deception to other sites that block the story you want to read with popups you don't want to see... it's awful. I mean, if you have to deceive, trick and annoy people into looking at your crumby **** it's most likely because you have crumby **** that people don't want to look at.

Screw Yahoo! News. If I stop being so lazy I'll probably dig up a "contact us" and let them know that they have an incredibly sucky site with a huge lack of integrity embedded in it. Bastards.

Gotta find a new news source. They basically used a lot of AP wire feeds so... probably not too hard to find. Could just go to AP site directly I suppose. Yahoo! News just had a nice layout before.

try a blank google news search. also, do you have the adblock plugin?

What is this "Yahoo" your talking about?

try a blank google news search. also, do you have the adblock plugin?

Yeah I got an ad blocker on there but ads are still showing up. Try going there and seeing if you see that ad placed into the stories. Underneath the original top stories with pics by it there is the "all news" section. The third story is an ad. Do you see it with your browser & blocker?

hrrmmm... my Chromium Adblock seems to be working but my ad block in Firefox isn't.

meh... doesn't matter. Their layout is still just terrible.

Got adblocker plus on my FF now. Seems to work.

Yeah I got an ad blocker on there but ads are still showing up. Try going there and seeing if you see that ad placed into the stories. Underneath the original top stories with pics by it there is the "all news" section. The third story is an ad. Do you see it with your browser & blocker?

the third story i see under the top stories is :

Seattle Man Catches 200-Year-Old Fish | ABC News Blogs - Yahoo!

i'm using chrome with adblock.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom

Yeah... as I said up there I had adblocker on my Chromium browser and it worked in blocking that ad but my firefox ad blocker addon wasn't working. Dug up Ad Blocker Plus for Firefox and it works. For now it looks like I'm going to peruse WaPo for now. I like the layout. It's a lot of information above the fold without being overkill for the eyes.

Yahoo! News' site looks like a kid did it in his mom's basement. I've got five headlines above the fold now. They used to have much more. I like cruising through headlines to pick and choose what I want to read. When they put that big font up there and clog it with fewer stories above the fold I just don't care to have to do constant scrolling through a childish design just to find something interesting to read.

Last edited:
Found a comments section on Yahoo and many people beat me to the punch bitching about it. Added my 2 cents. It's too bad. Been using it for a decade or so.

Yahoo is basically a horrible version of Google.

I only used yahoo news. Not yahoo search or email or any other yahoo garbage. They basically aggregated AP news wire stories for the most part but clearly were dabbling in pulling in other sources in the past year or two. The layout was nice. All that's gone. They apparently are designing a more mobile computing design which is ****ing stupid. Most sites have a regular computer design and a mobile design if you come there on a mobile device. They are forcing everyone on laptops and desktops to view a damn mobile designed site.

These guys are not thinking whatsoever.

Yahoo is basically a horrible version of Google.

Well at one point they were the must have stock and were set to take over the world, so don't get too attached to gurgle as what God giveth, he taketh away.

Back
Top Bottom