• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Yahoo News Calls Kenya 'The Country Of Obama's Birth'

pbrauer

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
LOL Birthers are everywhere. Screen shot of the article which has since been updated.
o-OBAMA-BIRTH-570.jpg
Yahoo News

Calls Kenya 'The Country Of Obama's Birth'

The article
has since been revised to refer to Kenya as the president's "ancestral homeland." A correction at the top acknolwedges that "an earlier version of this story incorrectly identified the president's birthplace."

Obama was born in Hawaii, a fact that state officials have repeatedly confirmed, though the claim that he was secretly born in Kenya has dogged him for much of his presidential career. He sought to put questions to rest once and for all by releasing his long-form birth certificate in 2011.

I see that the government conspiracy is still working hard to conceal the truth.

LOL Birthers are everywhere. Screen shot of the article which has since been updated.
o-OBAMA-BIRTH-570.jpg
Yahoo News

The article
has since been revised to refer to Kenya as the president's "ancestral homeland." A correction at the top acknolwedges that "an earlier version of this story incorrectly identified the president's birthplace."

Obama was born in Hawaii, a fact that state officials have repeatedly confirmed, though the claim that he was secretly born in Kenya has dogged him for much of his presidential career. He sought to put questions to rest once and for all by releasing his long-form birth certificate in 2011.

Well, I didn't think that my opinion of Yahoo 'News could get any lower, but it's just dropped a little.

Looks like now they're trying to move into WorldNewsDaily's areas

If Yahoo would hire just one fairly knowledgeable person to take a glance at the crap that they post once in a while their news would be a lot better.

Right now most of what they post as 'news'has little connection to either reality or things that anyone really wants to know.

Last edited:
Are you sure it wasn't just a joke? A lot of journalists slip things like that in. The revision might just be them covering their asses over the joke's failure.

o-OBAMA-BIRTH-570.jpg
Yahoo News

The article

This is why I make my own political news website... Most news sites don't even touch the subjects that I do. And I tend to leave the birther stuff in a section I specifically have labelled "conspiracy theories"!!!!

Are you sure it wasn't just a joke? A lot of journalists slip things like that in. The revision might just be them covering their asses over the joke's failure.

If it was a joke they would put it in italics, explain it further down, or put /sarcasm afterwards.

If it was a joke they would put it in italics, explain it further down, or put /sarcasm afterwards.

I don't think so. If it was a joke, it's intended to go half unnoticed.
But I think it may have been just an honest mistake.

Unnoticed?

Like it would just slide by?!

When you tell a joke, do you finish by explaining to everyone that it was a joke? Yahoo being sort of "professional," not a forum, I don't think the journalist would want to make it obvious that he was messing around with their readers--it's easier to admit that he made a mistake, if too many people notice. It could also have been a bet, for example, or something of the sort.

I find it hilarious how the people over at Huffington Post came to the Messiah's, I means presidents rescue and thought it imperative that they tell their readers he was born in Hawaii, and was proved this several times... I mean if this is such an outrageous claim that only a fool would believe, then why did they have to make sure their readers knew he was born in the US and it had been proved repeatedly?

I find it hilarious how the people over at Huffington Post came to the Messiah's, I means presidents rescue and thought it imperative that they tell their readers he was born in Hawaii, and was proved this several times... I mean if this is such an outrageous claim that only a fool would believe, then why did they have to make sure their readers knew he was born in the US and it had been proved repeatedly?

Because he was born in the US and it has been proved repeatedly. You just couldn't let a thread go by without taking a dig at the "liberal media" even when they are correct and accurate as they are in this case.

When you tell a joke, do you finish by explaining to everyone that it was a joke? Yahoo being sort of "professional," not a forum, I don't think the journalist would want to make it obvious that he was messing around with their readers--it's easier to admit that he made a mistake, if too many people notice. It could also have been a bet, for example, or something of the sort.

I don't think a legit journo is going to be making a joke such as this or responding to a bet either.

But I was curious about who Rachel Rose Hartman is and Googled her name plus "bio." One of the first links is to Yahoo/Writer Profile, but when I clicked on this, I'd arrive on a list of Yahoo writers and then, before I could click on her name, the page would switch.

I think this is the correct link: Yahoo!

If it's not, here is the Google page, and it's the second hit: Google

Very curious about this glitch.

Because when a lie is being propogated you have to publicly counter it with the truth. It's nice to think that silly falsehoods will just go away on their own, but the world really doesn't work that way. Lies aren't like internet trolls, which when ignored lose power and melt away. Lies take root and spread.

Two very good examples are John Kerry and of Barak Obama. Both were faced with fabricated scandals that threatened their character or the legitimacy of being president. Kerry "took the high road" and ignored the scandal. Obama finally got down from cloud 9 and answered the lie with the truth.

The outcomes were enlightening. Kerry spent the entire election with Swiftboat biting his heels, and to this day never really lost the taint of that whole affair. There are, I'm sure, people who may even chime in to say that the Swiftboaters were right, even though their claims were baseless. Once Obama released his full birth certificate Birtherism as any sort of organized movement was instantly snuffed out, and they are now relegated to objects of mockery as they rightfully should be.

I see that the government conspiracy is still working hard to conceal the truth.

During his first election campaign I saw, posted online, two different 'birth certificates' that said he'd been born in such-and-such hospital in Mombassa in the colony of Kenya. Only, when he was born Mombassa wasn't in Kenya, it was in Tanganyika.

During his first election campaign I saw, posted online, two different 'birth certificates' that said he'd been born in such-and-such hospital in Mombassa in the colony of Kenya. Only, when he was born Mombassa wasn't in Kenya, it was in Tanganyika.

I was joking. Well, this is awkward.

Mombasa was never part of what became Tanzania.

Mombasa became the capital of the Protectorate of Kenya, a coastal strip still nominally under the sovereignty of the Sultans of Zanzibar, in 1920. On December 12, 1963 it became part of the newly independent Republic of Kenya.[8]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mombasa

It is a nice city. I enjoyed my time there.

Last edited:
Maybe, when the author says Obama won't be "stopping in the country of his birth", she's implying that he won't be coming back to America.

One can hope.

Maybe, when the author says Obama won't be "stopping in the country of his birth", she's implying that he won't be coming back to America.

One can hope.

That means what, exactly? You're hoping that he takes up residence in Africa and let's Biden take over, or you're hoping Air Force One goes down? Either one is pretty tasteless, even if you aren't an Obama fan.

I was joking. Well, this is awkward.

Mombasa was never part of what became Tanzania.

It was, but I was mistaken which part. It wasn't part of Tanganyika, it was part of Zanzibar whence came Tanzania.

[/QUOTE]Mombasa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is a nice city. I enjoyed my time there.[/QUOTE]

What were you doing in Mombasa?

It was, but I was mistaken which part. It wasn't part of Tanganyika, it was part of Zanzibar whence came Tanzania.

In 1920 Mombasa became part of the Protectorate of Kenya. In 1963, it became part of the Republic of Kenya. At no time was it part of Tanganyika (which became Tanzania). While it was ruled by a supposedly quasi-sovereign ~"Zultan of Baba" (this resulting from Arabic use of the natural port prior to Portuguese and then British) of some sort in ancient times, that's not when Obama could have been born unless he is over 100 years of age. Do you believe that Obama was born before the British colonization of what then became known as Kenya and, if so, how has he extended his lifetime.

What were you doing in Mombasa?

I took a couple weeks vacation (Old Town, Fort Jesus, Tiwi Beach...) while working with agricultural development at Mt. Kenya (2003). From there I went past Kilimanjaro, from Taveta through Moshi into Arusha, back north to Nairobi and returning to Mt. Kenya (Mau Mau territory) (via public transportation entirely and alone).

Last edited:
In 1920 Mombasa became part of the Protectorate of Kenya. In 1963, it became part of the Republic of Kenya. At no time was it part of Tanganyika (which became Tanzania). While it was ruled by a supposedly quasi-sovereign ~"Zultan of Baba" of some sort in ancient times, that's not when Obama could have been born unless he is over 100 years of age. Do you believe that Obama was born before the British colonization of Kenya and, if so, how has he extended his lifetime.

I took a couple weeks vacation (Old Town, Fort Jesus, Tiwi Beach...) while working with agricultural development near Mt. Kenya. From there I went past Kilimanjaro, through Moshi into Arusha and back north to Nairobi.

It was part of Zanzibar, or that's what I seem to remember. Not in Kenya when Obama was born-that's the point I was trying to make, that those fake birth certificates I saw posted online were, what's the term, anachronistic?
Must have been an interesting time you spent- was it recent?

It was part of Zanzibar, or that's what I seem to remember. Not in Kenya when Obama was born-that's the point I was trying to make,

That point fails because Mombasa was the capital of the Protectorate of Kenya from 1920-1963 (Nairobi became the capital of Kenya then or shortly thereafter, presumably).

Must have been an interesting time you spent- was it recent?

Quite so, a couple of amazing stories. I've edited that post to add detail (2003). I was also in Kenya 2005 and 2010-2012 (two years straight, rural, alone), though I did not visit Mombasa during that later work.

Last edited:
That point fails because Mombasa was the capital of the Protectorate of Kenya from 1920-1963 (Nairobi became the capital of Kenya then or shortly thereafter, presumably).

Quite so, a couple of amazing stories. I've edited that post to add detail (2003). I was also in Kenya 2005 and 2010-2012 (two years straight, rural, alone), though I did not visit Mombasa during that later work.

Well, there's no way to ask about your experiences in a forum like this. I'm getting by here on high school history- Jomo Kenyata and the Mao-Mao, Joseph Nkomo and Roger Mugabe and recent news about Mugabe. Is the country really being bought, farm by farm, by the Chinese?

Back
Top Bottom