• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Yahoo is killing me! Help

Fearandloathing

How long is now?
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Somehow in an upgrade of Adobe I picked up Yahoo which insists on instating itself as my browser. I am running Win10. I hate Yahoo. I cannot find it to uninstall on my control panel and on line help hasn't been.

Help!

Somehow in an upgrade of Adobe I picked up Yahoo which insists on instating itself as my browser. I am running Win10. I hate Yahoo. I cannot find it to uninstall on my control panel and on line help hasn't been.

Help!

You probably do not need it mentioned now, but when installing anything any more, read every popup box that comes up, and look at what is checked and not. That will catch alot of things like this, though not all unfortunately.

You probably do not need it mentioned now, but when installing anything any more, read every popup box that comes up, and look at what is checked and not. That will catch alot of things like this, though not all unfortunately.

You're right. And I am damn sure I read every page of the "I agree" and did not see Yahoo anywhere, although they way they set it I could have missed one.

Help!

adw cleaner helps too because sometimes they (toolbars) aren't so simple to uninstall.

You're right. And I am damn sure I read every page of the "I agree" and did not see Yahoo anywhere, although they way they set it I could have missed one.

They put it in as an "opt out". You have to uncheck a box or it will install. One of the other applications (Adobe?) has the same kind of deal with McAfee.

Sneaky sons of bitches. From my view installing software I didn't ask for, and had no option to opt out of, is a violation of the user and their computer.

Of course, even Microsoft has forced unwanted software upgrades on their users:

New details emerge about forced Windows 10 upgrade -- and how to block it

Microsoft uses the force: You WILL upgrade to Windows 10

Yahoo sucks. And Windows 10 is a HYUUUGE upgrade over 8.

Help!

Yahoo is not a browser, nor has ever had one. They are a search engine, news and email service.

Sneaky sons of bitches. From my view installing software I didn't ask for, and had no option to opt out of, is a violation of the user and their computer.

Of course, even Microsoft has forced unwanted software upgrades on their users:

New details emerge about forced Windows 10 upgrade -- and how to block it

Microsoft uses the force: You WILL upgrade to Windows 10

Installation software checkboxes have turned into more of a drunk test than a viable decision tool. "Are you or aren't you sure that you don't want to not install MonkeyBrowser with your edition of Super Audio Editor? Or aren't you? Yes/No."

Installation software checkboxes have turned into more of a drunk test than a viable decision tool. "Are you or aren't you sure that you don't want to not install MonkeyBrowser with your edition of Super Audio Editor? Or aren't you? Yes/No."

Yeah, ****ty sneaky companies with ****ty sneaky software sure do suck.

Might I suggest trying Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download - Uninstall software, remove programs, solve uninstall problems I've had some good luck with this utility. I hope you do as well.

Another way they trick you is by giving you a choice of "express install" (or something like that) and "custom install" (or something like that). If you select the first, it gives you all the junk. If you select the second, it then gives you the option to check or uncheck the junk.

I NEVER use "express install".

Another way they trick you is by giving you a choice of "express install" (or something like that) and "custom install" (or something like that). If you select the first, it gives you all the junk. If you select the second, it then gives you the option to check or uncheck the junk.

I NEVER use "express install".

The worst one I have seen was some spyware, where the wording made it pretty clear what was going on. Problem was that there was like an "Apple" amount of text on terms and conditions, and in the end the choice was yes or no. Problem was that the question was buried in the text, so if you pressed no, which most people would, then you were actually agreeing to installing the spyware.. Now that is tricky! :)

I don't worry about having to do quick fixes. I run Linux. LOL.

That's because nobody cares enough about Linux to sneak the junk into your install process.

Back
Top Bottom