• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

xBox 360 or PS3

Which is better?

• Xbox 360

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • PS3

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters

SheWolf

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I don't have a game system, and I am just looking for some opinions. I have played xBox 360 and Kinect but haven't tried PS3.

Opinions?

360 for the games, PS3 for the media playback.

Most of the time I will only buy games for the 360, unless the company really really wanted you to do otherwise. It's the standard console for game makers, so expect it to be the best for getting titles. Xbox live is great, but costs, and the costs rose 10 bucks in the past year. That being said, the community is stronger, but, there are far too many punks online who want to leave you irritating, offensive messages, and you have little recourse in order to defend yourself, while their anonymous behavior has compromised your experience. The difference between the graphics for the two systems is not dramatic if noticeable at all, oddly enough. Most games look the same, operate similarly, but from time to time have certain features missing from one console version to the next. Some game companies are far more loyal to one system or the other historically, and will thus not update as often, leaving certain expansions or features behind in one of the consoles. So, sometimes, it pays to look at what you would most want to play.

If you want Netflix with it, yes, you will pay more because of Xbox live. I also consider the Netflix application to be far worse than the PS3 version. If your connection fluctuates often, or even sometimes, the app will cut off playback and then give you a loading screen in order to reload the content. The PS3 app does as little of that as possible, and attempts to do it on the fly, though occasionally, if you are hitting a dead end, it will throw a loading bar on the bottom of the screen (while still having the content at a freeze).

As a media player, the 360 isn't ..bad..per se, but it is immensely irritating that it relies on Xbox live for darn near everything. You can listen to music while playing the game (can't on the PS3). If you are offline, or the xbox servers are momentarily down, guess what, sometimes you won't be able to play your files, because you clearly need to use Xbox live servers to play a movie on your thumbdrive. I have also had plenty of trouble dealing with so-called "optional media updates" which tend to not work and force me to redownload them to get access to MPEG-4, AAC, H.264, etc. So, just in case something goes wrong, and I have no internet, and want to do something other than games, sometimes that's a no-go! *smacks head. Also, the Shuffle music option is beyond ridiculous. Worst implimentation ever. I remember hearing people bitch and moan about iTunes "shuffle" usually playing music that was listened to most. Well, the worst thing about the 360 is, it doesn't play the stuff you listen to the most. In fact, it picks a letter in the alphabet for an artist, and only plays that until it is done. So, last night, S, was chosen. Scott Walker and Smashing Pumpkins was the only thing I heard last night, despite having on my Top Rated Playlist over 2000 songs, and on the full library, 15-16 thousand tracks. The Xbox didn't care. The letter S was what I was going to listen to that night. You can, however, play playlists quite well, so if you choose carefully (ie. small number of tracks), it should be just fine.

The playstation 3 as a gaming device is usually fine. Decent game selection, free internet gaming, and so on. However, despite the fact I rarely do this anymore, the sense of community is less, because the playstation gamers aren't constantly told about microphones and headsets. So fewer people have them. This can be a good thing (previous example with irritating people), or a bad thing (if you want to be social). The games actually do "installs" on the hard drives, and this can be a set back if you want to "go, go, go!" and not have to wait. You cannot listen to music while playing most games. You rely only on the game. It's stupid, but true. There are a select number of games that allow you to do this!

The PS3 is a brilliant media player, but I have issues nevertheless. First and foremost, I'm not a folder-driven sort of fellow. This means, if you have a drive connected with media, you will be operating under the assumption you navigate everything through folders, rather than a simple "Artist" "Album" "Playlist" option like you can through the Xbox. If you have a Mac-formatted iPod, don't bother. It can't read that. You can still, however, play a great many codecs without much hassle (don't require Playstation Network access to play the files, cough cough), and you have yourself a solid blu-ray player that will mostly be future-proof. It's strongest suit as a media player is simply that it does not act like an Xbox. I absolutely despise watching stuff on an Xbox, and nearly dislike it entirely for listening to music, if it weren't for the irritating folder navigation of the PS3.

Last edited:
I find the Xbox to be more readily "playable", though the PS3 supposedly has more media-related features.

The PS3 is going to last longer, because playstation isnt planning on making a new system for awhile and continue to improve the current system. While X-box is the oldest of the thee systems and they are planning on switching to a new system in 2014.

If there are specific games you like that are one one system only, then that would be the system to buy

Or if you like Kinetics which is more advanced then Move I believe but I have not tried either

I have both the PS3 and Xbox 360. I prefer the PS3 overall, and if was to have only one of the two it would be the PS3. The games are generally similar, but the extras on the PS3 are much better

Personally, I prefer the Xbox. The PS3 really has nothing going for it except the ability to play media, but I have other devices for that, I don't need it to do anything but play games and in the arena of gaming, the Xbox is superior.

360 for the games, PS3 for the media playback.

Most of the time I will only buy games for the 360, unless the company really really wanted you to do otherwise. It's the standard console for game makers, so expect it to be the best for getting titles. Xbox live is great, but costs, and the costs rose 10 bucks in the past year. That being said, the community is stronger, but, there are far too many punks online who want to leave you irritating, offensive messages, and you have little recourse in order to defend yourself, while their anonymous behavior has compromised your experience. The difference between the graphics for the two systems is not dramatic if noticeable at all, oddly enough. Most games look the same, operate similarly, but from time to time have certain features missing from one console version to the next. Some game companies are far more loyal to one system or the other historically, and will thus not update as often, leaving certain expansions or features behind in one of the consoles. So, sometimes, it pays to look at what you would most want to play.

If you want Netflix with it, yes, you will pay more because of Xbox live. I also consider the Netflix application to be far worse than the PS3 version. If your connection fluctuates often, or even sometimes, the app will cut off playback and then give you a loading screen in order to reload the content. The PS3 app does as little of that as possible, and attempts to do it on the fly, though occasionally, if you are hitting a dead end, it will throw a loading bar on the bottom of the screen (while still having the content at a freeze).

As a media player, the 360 isn't ..bad..per se, but it is immensely irritating that it relies on Xbox live for darn near everything. You can listen to music while playing the game (can't on the PS3). If you are offline, or the xbox servers are momentarily down, guess what, sometimes you won't be able to play your files, because you clearly need to use Xbox live servers to play a movie on your thumbdrive. I have also had plenty of trouble dealing with so-called "optional media updates" which tend to not work and force me to redownload them to get access to MPEG-4, AAC, H.264, etc. So, just in case something goes wrong, and I have no internet, and want to do something other than games, sometimes that's a no-go! *smacks head. Also, the Shuffle music option is beyond ridiculous. Worst implimentation ever. I remember hearing people bitch and moan about iTunes "shuffle" usually playing music that was listened to most. Well, the worst thing about the 360 is, it doesn't play the stuff you listen to the most. In fact, it picks a letter in the alphabet for an artist, and only plays that until it is done. So, last night, S, was chosen. Scott Walker and Smashing Pumpkins was the only thing I heard last night, despite having on my Top Rated Playlist over 2000 songs, and on the full library, 15-16 thousand tracks. The Xbox didn't care. The letter S was what I was going to listen to that night. You can, however, play playlists quite well, so if you choose carefully (ie. small number of tracks), it should be just fine.

The playstation 3 as a gaming device is usually fine. Decent game selection, free internet gaming, and so on. However, despite the fact I rarely do this anymore, the sense of community is less, because the playstation gamers aren't constantly told about microphones and headsets. So fewer people have them. This can be a good thing (previous example with irritating people), or a bad thing (if you want to be social). The games actually do "installs" on the hard drives, and this can be a set back if you want to "go, go, go!" and not have to wait. You cannot listen to music while playing most games. You rely only on the game. It's stupid, but true. There are a select number of games that allow you to do this!

The PS3 is a brilliant media player, but I have issues nevertheless. First and foremost, I'm not a folder-driven sort of fellow. This means, if you have a drive connected with media, you will be operating under the assumption you navigate everything through folders, rather than a simple "Artist" "Album" "Playlist" option like you can through the Xbox. If you have a Mac-formatted iPod, don't bother. It can't read that. You can still, however, play a great many codecs without much hassle (don't require Playstation Network access to play the files, cough cough), and you have yourself a solid blu-ray player that will mostly be future-proof. It's strongest suit as a media player is simply that it does not act like an Xbox. I absolutely despise watching stuff on an Xbox, and nearly dislike it entirely for listening to music, if it weren't for the irritating folder navigation of the PS3.

Wow, Fiddy is the expert on this subject... I think xbox is probably better for me, because I am not into media and I'd just get a google tv

Not really, I just spent a lot of time trying to optimize my movie, music, tv show experience with these machines lol.

Not really, I just spent a lot of time trying to optimize my movie, music, tv show experience with these machines lol.

Maybe you should try the Google TV.... It works great with Netflix and you get music media,online radio stations, regular tv, internet, etc.

I have both, and I pretty much agree with what Fiddy said. I play most of my games on the 360 if I have a choice, and the controller is better IMO, the interface is more user friendly, and Xbox Live is worth the money. Unless I'm into a PS3 exclusive game, I usually don't play games on my PS3, it's mostly my Blu-ray, DVD player. Playing DVD's on the PS3 is better then the 360 because the PS3 upscales the quality. I'd say eventually get both, but get the 360 first if you want to play games, but if you want to watch movies, and play the occasional game, get the PS3.

Having had a degree of experience with both consoles.

Xbox 360 is generally considered the more social console, though that's as much in the marketing as it in the capability; the PS3 could perform many of the same functions, but they aren't touted and would require some improvising.

Bear in mind that while Sony develops flashy, high-performing products, these tend to have maintenance issues and it has a poor reputation among techie circles for its customer service. I had a PS3 for several years before it broke. I sent it in and got a refurbished one, but that one broke too after a few months. Sending out a refurbished item still affected by the issue that probably broke would be mediocre service anywhere, but it was made worse by (1) it was only somewhat cheaper than the cost of buying a new PS3 and (2) the issue came back up just after the limited warranty expired. So to replace my PS3 a third time, I would have gone far over the amount of money it would have taken me to have bought a new one. And I still feel as though I should have gotten more than 2-3 years out of my initial purchase, especially considering how much it cost.

However, during those years, I had a very high performing centerpiece for my home entertainment system. I was pretty put out and determined to never buy another one (I've been content with computer games), but my brother bought one, and seeing its functions at work again has stoked the old flame.

That said, I don't plan on buying one any time soon. The PlayStation Vita sounds better than a console, and I can just diversify my computer to take over some of the functions my PS3 fulfilled.

To be honest, at this point in the console generation I would buy the PS3. It is a better investment and the new series has probably weeded out some of the hardware issues that plagued those I dealt with.

Last edited:
I have had an Xbox since they came out. Yes, I waited at midnight :D . I got a PS3 in May. I am currently playing my PS3 more but I cannot be sure if that is because I have been catching up on missed games (God of War, MLB the Show, etc.) or I actually enjoy it more.

For multiplayer gaming, I like Xbox. Xbox Live is not free unlike PSN but XBL is also much more user-friendly and cannot necessarily be used by dial-uppers.

Play both and see which one you like more, though!!

Having had a degree of experience with both consoles.

Xbox 360 is generally considered the more social console, though that's as much in the marketing as it in the capability; the PS3 could perform many of the same functions, but they aren't touted and would require some improvising.

Bear in mind that while Sony develops flashy, high-performing products, these tend to have maintenance issues and it has a poor reputation among techie circles for its customer service. I had a PS3 for several years before it broke. I sent it in and got a refurbished one, but that one broke too after a few months. Sending out a refurbished item still affected by the issue that probably broke would be mediocre service anywhere, but it was made worse by (1) it was only somewhat cheaper than the cost of buying a new PS3 and (2) the issue came back up just after the limited warranty expired. So to replace my PS3 a third time, I would have gone far over the amount of money it would have taken me to have bought a new one. And I still feel as though I should have gotten more than 2-3 years out of my initial purchase, especially considering how much it cost.

However, during those years, I had a very high performing centerpiece for my home entertainment system. I was pretty put out and determined to never buy another one (I've been content with computer games), but my brother bought one, and seeing its functions at work again has stoked the old flame.

That said, I don't plan on buying one any time soon. The PlayStation Vita sounds better than a console, and I can just diversify my computer to take over some of the functions my PS3 fulfilled.

To be honest, at this point in the console generation I would buy the PS3. It is a better investment and the new series has probably weeded out some of the hardware issues that plagued those I dealt with.

I haven't had to deal with Sony's customer service, but I would argue the exact opposite. The Xbox 360 has horrible build quality, and their customer service had a long history of being god awful. Failure rates were perhaps as high as 1/3. Repair centers remain a separate entity, impossible to get hold of, and I personally have had 3 shipped consoles in a row that had the same problem: a broken disc drive. In my time, I say I have had 7 Xbox consoles.

The differences aren't all that great. I simply got a PS3 because it was more popular with my friends than a 360.

I've had quite a few Xboxs as well Fiddytree. First two, had a disc drive error. Third had red rings. Fourth was completely broke (and out of warranty so I bought a used Xbox Arcade with no hard drive). So far, this Xbox has lasted for now...

Xbox customer care can take forever! Getting your system back takes typically, at least a month if not more. But it's usually free!

I don't have a game system, and I am just looking for some opinions. I have played xBox 360 and Kinect but haven't tried PS3.

Opinions?
For game play, XBox 360.

I haven't had to deal with Sony's customer service, but I would argue the exact opposite. The Xbox 360 has horrible build quality, and their customer service had a long history of being god awful. Failure rates were perhaps as high as 1/3. Repair centers remain a separate entity, impossible to get hold of, and I personally have had 3 shipped consoles in a row that had the same problem: a broken disc drive. In my time, I say I have had 7 Xbox consoles.

All the consoles of this generation had a troubled history in one way or another. Still, the expenses should be less than dealing with Sony.

Not that I'm advising against the PS3. It would be one thing if the next generation of Xbox had been released, but if the OP is planning on avoiding that generation for a long time, then the PS3 has to be a better choice because of its functions and graphical potential.

Last edited:
Sony is a consumer electronics manufacturer with decades of experience. Microsoft is first and foremost a software vendor.

The respective consoles reflect their origins. The PS3 is a beautifully crafted, elegant consumer electronics device. The XBox360 is a bit clunkier, noisier and likelier to overheat despite having the heaviest external "brick" I have ever seen.

The controllers, too, match their origins. The PS3 controller is a light, elegant device that fits in a child's hands as easily as an adults; the XBox360's is heavier and larger, and fits in my hands less comfortably.

That said the PS3 Move is far less innovative than Microsoft Kinetic; again, matching the strengths of the two companies.

I use the PS3 for blue ray discs and Netflix. I use to watch DVDs on my Xbox360 but its a lot quieter and easier to drop it into a little, portable DVD player I have hooked up to my TV and receiver.

I prefer the PS3 overall because I feel Sony has been far more successful and committed to maintaining compatibility for its older published titles than Microsoft has.

Wii

*hides from the tomatos*

Wii

*hides from the tomatos*

tomato-1.jpg

I can't say with certainty, since I only have a PS3, but in my opinion the PS3 is a better machine overall. The media capabilities are better, it replaces your blu-ray/DVD player, and it's probably going to last significantly longer without needing to be upgraded as a gaming platform, due to considerably more powerful hardware. I'm honestly not sure about games that are only made for one system or the other. I know Xbox has HALO, so if you really want to play that you should get an xbox I guess. Most of them though it seems like are made for both systems.

I can't say with certainty, since I only have a PS3, but in my opinion the PS3 is a better machine overall. The media capabilities are better, it replaces your blu-ray/DVD player, and it's probably going to last significantly longer without needing to be upgraded as a gaming platform, due to considerably more powerful hardware. I'm honestly not sure about games that are only made for one system or the other. I know Xbox has HALO, so if you really want to play that you should get an xbox I guess. Most of them though it seems like are made for both systems.

Off the top of my head the major games for 360 only are Halo, Gears of War, Forza, The Mass Effect Trilogy(you can get 2, and 3 on the PS3, but not 1) Fable, Splinter Cell Conviction

And for PS3 Uncharted, Gran Turismo, Heavy Rain, God of War, Killzone, Resistance

Back
Top Bottom