• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Wyoming stands up for coal with threat to sue states that refuse to buy it

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

Republican governor says measure sends message that Wyoming is ‘prepared to bring litigation to protect her interests’

Wyoming is faced by a transition to renewable energy that’s gathering pace across America, but it has now come up with a novel and controversial plan to protect its mining industry – sue other states that refuse to take its coal.
A new state law has created a $1.2m fund to be used by Wyoming’s governor to take legal action against other states that opt to power themselves with clean energy such as solar and wind, in order to meet targets to tackle the climate crisis, rather than burn Wyoming’s coal.
==========================================================================
Interesting move. Can someone or some corporation be forced to buy something that they want to stop buying? Can a state sue them if they refuse?

Interesting move. Can someone or some corporation be forced to buy something that they want to stop buying? Can a state sue them if they refuse?

Of course they can’t. Republicans are having a nervous breakdown over their loss of control of the culture and the country.

Republican governor says measure sends message that Wyoming is ‘prepared to bring litigation to protect her interests’

Wyoming is faced by a transition to renewable energy that’s gathering pace across America, but it has now come up with a novel and controversial plan to protect its mining industry – sue other states that refuse to take its coal.
A new state law has created a $1.2m fund to be used by Wyoming’s governor to take legal action against other states that opt to power themselves with clean energy such as solar and wind, in order to meet targets to tackle the climate crisis, rather than burn Wyoming’s coal.
I wonder if that strategy would work for Blockbuster? Rent our movies, or we'll sue!

Another question: Should a state be able to forbid their citizens and businesses from buying something they might want just because it comes from another state?

Another question: Should a state be able to forbid their citizens and businesses from buying something they might want just because it comes from another state?
The issue isn’t the state of origin. If NY blocked sale of coal specifically from Wyoming that would arguably be actionable. But a general ban on coal is probably not.

Considering that they only allocated 1.2 million it doesn’t look like they’re particularly serious about it.

The issue isn’t the state of origin. If NY blocked sale of coal specifically from Wyoming that would arguably be actionable. But a general ban on coal is probably not.
I said nothing about "state of origin". I said "from buying something they might want". The state in my question is forbidding it's citizens from buying something that comes from another state. That means any state.

Again, should a state be able to forbid their citizens and businesses from buying something they might want just because it comes from another state?

Hell, I didn't even mention coal. Put anything you want in the law...how about steel. Should a state be able to forbid their citizens and businesses from buying something they might want just because it comes from another state? Or, how about furniture? Or milk?

My question is about whether a state should be able to pass such a law...not about the product or service.

I said nothing about "state of origin". I said "from buying something they might want". The state in my question is forbidding it's citizens from buying something that comes from another state. That means any state.

Again, should a state be able to forbid their citizens and businesses from buying something they might want just because it comes from another state?

Hell, I didn't even mention coal. Put anything you want in the law...how about steel. Should a state be able to forbid their citizens and businesses from buying something they might want just because it comes from another state? Or, how about furniture? Or milk?

My question is about whether a state should be able to pass such a law...not about the product or service.
"Just because..."? As in for no other reason?

I thought your question was specific to a single state. But my answer still stands. States can probably ban the importation of specific items provided it’s not pointed at a specific state. “You can’t import coal” is probably okay. “You can’t import Wyoming coal” isn’t.

If you live in California your car must pass California emission standards. For many years cars sold in California had exhaust systems different from every other state. I'm not sure that's still true but back then if you wanted to register a car from another state you had to modify it to pass inspection or sell it out of state and buy a California car.

I often vacation at a friend's place in Oregon. When we drive to California we sometimes get stopped and asked to leave any fruit we may have behind. Draw your own conclusions.

I thought your question was specific to a single state. But my answer still stands. States can probably ban the importation of specific items provided it’s not pointed at a specific state. “You can’t import coal” is probably okay. “You can’t import Wyoming coal” isn’t.
My question wasn't "can they". My question was "should they be able to".

Yes. What if there was a chemical spill in another state? Or your state has outlawed the fertilizer used in another state? There are possible reasons they should be able to enforce bans if its citizens agree there's good reason.

A reminder that “state’s rights” does not mean what people say it means.

Who is properly responsible for a state's power planning?

Except in the case of Wyoming, it's probably not Wyoming.

Another question: Should a state be able to forbid their citizens and businesses from buying something they might want
There are two questions there. To the first, yes, and it's common. I can't buy pot grown in CA, for example, in my state, or moonshine from KY.
just because it comes from another state?
No, and there's no hint of that happening for WY coal in the OP. If my state decides to burn gas, versus coal, which has happened in a big way, WY can't sue TN or TVA to make them keep up their coal purchases, The idea is ludicrous. They're not banning "WY" coal by switching to nat. gas, but coal from wherever, WY, KY, WV, or even TN.

Looks to me like a nice subsidy for well connected right wing trial lawyers. I'm surprised WY is concerned about their livelihoods, but if they want to throw $1.2 million to a bunch of hack lawyers to keep them fully employed, their decision I guess.

Next up, suing Colorado for having too many snow skiing resorts. Or perhaps warmer states for offering hiking and biking in the winter months, keeping people off its ski slopes. That should be just as effective.

No, we don't want coal. Its dirty, polluting, and it is centuries old tech.

Too bad Wyoming, we don't need ya.
Then there are all the Trumpists in other coal-producing states: WV, KY, PA. The end of a centuries-old technology will mean a significant societal shift in those places.

At a rally in the Villages, where there are more golf carts than people.......

Yes, though whether it’s wise to use that power would vary with the specifics of the situation.

Back
Top Bottom