• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Wyoming cat infected with bubonic plague

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/third-cat-wyoming-contracts-plague-n956141

The health department recommended people avoid areas with rodents and use repellant when in areas with fleas.

A cat in Wyoming with plague is the third feline in the state in six months to contract the disease, according to health officials.

A Johnson County cat, known to wander outside near its home in Kaycee, was infected with bubonic plague, according to lab results from the University of Wyoming. The other two infected cats were in Sheridan and Campbell counties.
===============================================
Many of these medieval diseases are still found in pockets around the world.

I wonder what led to the diagnosis. I would be surprised if the Plague is something veterinarians test for.

I wonder what led to the diagnosis. I would be surprised if the Plague is something veterinarians test for.

In the western states - mostly east of the Rockies - there has been an increase in plague and plague-like diseases such as Hantavirus, that are carried by fleas on animals and can transmit the disease to both the animals and any humans they come in contact with. As the New Mexico Department of Health states; "Although plague is a rare disease, about half of US cases each year occur in New Mexico. Antibiotics are effective against plague, but if an infected person is not treated promptly the disease can be life-threatening."

Back
Top Bottom