• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Wyoming’s conservative legislature rejects critical race theory ban

Gateman_Wen

Official disruptive influence
Banned
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

After a Jewish lawmaker’s impassioned speech, Wyoming’s conservative legislature rejects critical race theory ban​

One of only 9 Democrats in the legislature taught the republicans common sense.

“In this bill, page 9, line 19 states, ‘The teaching of history must be neutral, without judgment,'” state Rep. Andy Schwartz said during debate. “Now, how can that be possible? If I were a Native American, I doubt I could accept the neutral, judgment-free approach about the relocation, the decimation of the Indigenous population. If I were a Black American, I doubt I could accept a neutral, judgment-free approach on the enslavement of millions of Americans.

“But I’m Jewish, and I cannot accept a neutral judgment-free approach on the murder of 6 million Jews in World War Two.”

After a Jewish lawmaker’s impassioned speech, Wyoming’s conservative legislature rejects critical race theory ban​

CRT is NOT common sense.

CRT is NOT common sense.
And "Critical Race Theory" isn't what you think it is.

For one thing, the word "critical" is used in the sense of "analytical" and not in any condemnatory sense the way you appear to believe it is used.

For another thing, the word "race" does not apply SOLELY to "White racism against Blacks in the United States of America", but rather it applies whenever the dominant group in ANY society uses (directly or indirectly) "racial identity" in order to preserve their dominance.

But, then again, you really don't care about that because you know that there is absolutely no advantage to belonging to any particular race in the United States of America and there hasn't ever been any advantage to belonging to any particular race in the United States of America. Why just look at the contribution that The First Rhode Island Regiment made to American independence.

FIRST RHODE ISLAND REGIMENT.JPG

And "Critical Race Theory" isn't what you think it is.
Yes, it is.
For one thing, the word "critical" is used in the sense of "analytical" and not in any condemnatory sense the way you appear to believe it is used.
But, ironically, there is no analysis.
For another thing, the word "race" does not apply SOLELY to "White racism against Blacks in the United States of America", but rather it applies whenever the dominant group in ANY society uses (directly or indirectly) "racial identity" in order to preserve their dominance.
Wrong again.
But, then again, you really don't care about that because you know that there is absolutely no advantage to belonging to any particular race in the United States of America and there hasn't ever been any advantage to belonging to any particular race in the United States of America. Why just look at the contribution that The First Rhode Island Regiment made to American independence.

You have no idea what I care or don't care about. Funny thing is every level and every occupation in the US has people from virtually every race. We've had, and have, top level leaders in arts, science, mathematics, engineering, medical, politics and many more. Immigrants from around the world, some not even speaking English, have come here and succeeded to the highest levels in those fields.

That's not to say America is perfect - no country is or ever will be. Success requires effort and those that make the effort, and continue to do so, usually succeed to whatever level their personal characteristics allow.

Yes, it is.

But, ironically, there is no analysis.

Wrong again.

You have no idea what I care or don't care about. Funny thing is every level and every occupation in the US has people from virtually every race. We've had, and have, top level leaders in arts, science, mathematics, engineering, medical, politics and many more. Immigrants from around the world, some not even speaking English, have come here and succeeded to the highest levels in those fields.

That's not to say America is perfect - no country is or ever will be. Success requires effort and those that make the effort, and continue to do so, usually succeed to whatever level their personal characteristics allow.
It's really amazing how widely some people miss the mark in their arguments.

"CRT" does NOT say that it is impossible for a member of "Group A" to succeed in a society that is dominated by "Group B". Rather it says that it is more difficult for a member of "Group A" to succeed in a society that is dominated by "Group B".

Start with an snide comment = guaranteed to make consider your arguments. :eek:
"CRT" does NOT say that it is impossible for a member of "Group A" to succeed in a society that is dominated by "Group B". Rather it says that it is more difficult for a member of "Group A" to succeed in a society that is dominated by "Group B".
Nor did I say that. I think you clinging to some "academic definition" rather than what's been taught in schools and organizations. Many versions tell white attendees to stop acting so white. White kids in elementary school are forced to apologize to black kids for bast sins of the their ancestors.

As I mentioned above the success blacks have shown in virtually every field tends to argue that race isn't as much a hinderance as suggested.

Wah! Wah! Uh uh...WAH!~!!!

Start with an snide comment = guaranteed to make consider your arguments. :eek:

Nor did I say that. I think you clinging to some "academic definition" rather than what's been taught in schools and organizations.
Since CRT is NOT being taught in (more than a handful of the 130,930 public and private K-12 schools in the U.S. I think that I can safely ignore that "point".
Many versions tell white attendees to stop acting so white. White kids in elementary school are forced to apologize to black kids for bast sins of the their ancestors.
See above.
As I mentioned above the success blacks have shown in virtually every field tends to argue that race isn't as much a hinderance as suggested.
Ahh, so you do admit that "race" IS a hindrance - you just want to argue about how much of a hindrance it is and how much of a hindrance it should be allowed to be.

Since CRT is NOT being taught in (more than a handful of the 130,930 public and private K-12 schools in the U.S. I think that I can safely ignore that "point".

Define "hand full"; gives that NEA is beating the drum for it maybe a Kraken's hand full.
See above.

Ahh, so you do admit that "race" IS a hindrance - you just want to argue about how much of a hindrance it is and how much of a hindrance it should be allowed to be.
Huh? I was pretty clear on that issue above. You're reading the sentence wrong; I was dismissing the idea but covering myself from sample of one gotcha.

See above.

Pardon, if you can change that to 'a handful of universities'. CRT is not being taught except in college. (the real CRT, not the straw man that the Right Wing imagines)

pretty much only one type of person doesn't want to teach about what white people did to black people during our history.

they out themselves every day.

Define "hand full";
I'd be content with a WAG of 100.
gives that NEA is beating the drum for it maybe a Kraken's hand full.
The Five Tenets of CRT
There are five major components or tenets of CRT: (1) the notion that racism is ordinary and not aberrational; (2) the idea of an interest convergence; (3) the social construction of race; (4) the idea of storytelling and counter-storytelling; and (5) the notion that whites have actually been recipients of civil rights legislation.

Those are the actual tenets and NOT the ones
  • All Whites are racists;
  • All Whites are evil;
  • All Whites are to blame for everything that has happened since the beginning of time regardless of whether or not they personally did it;
  • No non-Whites are racists;
  • No non-Whites are evil;
  • No non-Whites are to blame for anything that has happened since the beginning of time regardless of whether or not they personally did it;
that you appear to think are the basis for CRT.
Huh? I was pretty clear on that issue above. You're reading the sentence wrong; I was dismissing the idea but covering myself from sample of one gotcha.
I see, so you believe that everyone, of whatever race, has an equal chance of achieving what a person of the dominant social grouping can achieve BY ONLY PUTTING OUT THE SAME AMOUNT OF EFFORT AS A PERSON OF THE DOMINANT SOCIAL GROUPING PUTS OUT.

You are obviously rather out of touch with reality.

Pardon, if you can change that to 'a handful of universities'. CRT is not being taught except in college. (the real CRT, not the straw man that the Right Wing imagines)
I do not rule out the possibility that there are some (likely less than 100) of the 130,930 public and private K-12 schools in the U.S. where CRT is actually taught.

I do, however, agree with you that what "the Right" calls CRT and what CRT actually is have so little in common that only an idiot (or someone who simply believes whatever they are told to believe) would think that they are the same thing.

When you look at the US Census data for income related to race and ethnicity

US INCOME BY RACE AND ETHNICITY.JPG

it is pretty difficult NOT to conclude that some races/ethnicities have a harder time economically than others.

When you look at the above table it's pretty obvious that <SARC>"Something Must Be Done" about the unfair advantage that those so-called "Asian Americans" (and they are only 5.64% of the population) have and how they are repressing all of the REAL Americans</SARC> - right?

I'd be content with a WAG of 100.

The Five Tenets of CRT
There are five major components or tenets of CRT: (1) the notion that racism is ordinary and not aberrational; (2) the idea of an interest convergence; (3) the social construction of race; (4) the idea of storytelling and counter-storytelling; and (5) the notion that whites have actually been recipients of civil rights legislation.

Those are the actual tenets and NOT the ones
  • All Whites are racists;
  • All Whites are evil;
  • All Whites are to blame for everything that has happened since the beginning of time regardless of whether or not they personally did it;
  • No non-Whites are racists;
  • No non-Whites are evil;ze
  • No non-Whites are to blame for anything that has happened since the beginning of time regardless of whether or not they personally did it;
that you appear to think are the basis for CRT.
"Tenets" meannada - the content of the curriculum and training sessions is what matters. And the writings of various CRT advocates do. Ironically, your list is very close to what IS actually being taught in classrooms and training sessions. Coke taught their white employees to "be less white" White kids in elementary school are being forced to apologize to blacks for the actions of their (alleged) ancestors.
I see, so you believe that everyone, of whatever race, has an equal chance of achieving what a person of the dominant social grouping can achieve BY ONLY PUTTING OUT THE SAME AMOUNT OF EFFORT AS A PERSON OF THE DOMINANT SOCIAL GROUPING PUTS OUT.

You are obviously rather out of touch with reality.
I'd really appreciate if you'd not blather idiotic shit as what I "believe" because it's a lie.

Kids need to be taught the TRUE story of racism in America; both the bad AND the good. CRT doesn't do that. Understand that what's going on in School Board meetings is a result of parents having to stay home and watching their kids classes. This is not a theoretic issue; it's real and serious enough to bring paople to board meetings demanding answers and action.

I'm sure the parents are gonna have something to say about this

I do not rule out the possibility that there are some (likely less than 100) of the 130,930 public and private K-12 schools in the U.S. where CRT is actually taught.

I do, however, agree with you that what "the Right" calls CRT and what CRT actually is have so little in common that only an idiot (or someone who simply believes whatever they are told to believe) would think that they are the same thing.

When you look at the US Census data for income related to race and ethnicity

it is pretty difficult NOT to conclude that some races/ethnicities have a harder time economically than others.

When you look at the above table it's pretty obvious that <SARC>"Something Must Be Done" about the unfair advantage that those so-called "Asian Americans" (and they are only 5.64% of the population) have and how they are repressing all of the REAL Americans</SARC> - right?
Your problem is that your making this a left v right issue and not looking any further because you favor the left.

Looks like Asian American parents do a better job at raising their children to be more successful.

Sure it is. What you think crt isn't correct.
I'm talking about the day to day version being shoved down the throats of school kids and "woke" corporations.

I am sure you can’t even define CRT.
John Oliver did a segment on it last night.

Already responded to this elswhere. I'll take the complaints and objections of parents who've actually seen the lessons over some pretentious talking head.

I'm talking about the day to day version being shoved down the throats of school kids and "woke" corporations.
Yeah it's not. What a private business is there own issue. Nobody forces you to work there

Yeah it's not. What a private business is there own issue. Nobody forces you to work there
Doesn't change the fact they're being forced.

Good on Wyoming.

Doesn't change the fact they're being forced.
Well yeah, it does. They're free to leave that job and find one with a culture that aligns with their values. No one is forcing them to stay in that job.

Back
Top Bottom