• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

WWII: U.S. Declared war on Japan, did the U.S. Declare war on Germany and Italy?

WWII: U.S. Declared war on Japan, did the U.S. Declare war on Germany and Italy?

• Total voters

pbrauer

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

Yes
No
I Don't Know

Yes
No
I Don't Know

Are you testing the historic knowledge of the members here? lol

Spoiler alert:
Germany declared war on America.
Technically America declared war on Germany after Germany declared war on America... so yes we did, but not first.

Are you trying to trick us?

Last edited:
Are you testing the historic knowledge of the members here? lol

Spoiler alert:
Germany declared war on America.
Technically America declared war on Germany after Germany declared war on America... so yes we did, but not first.

Are you trying to trick us?
There is no trick here, it was a straight question. J.D. Hayworth didn't know the the answer. John McCain nailed him.

There is no trick here, it was a straight question. J.D. Hayworth didn't know the the answer. John McCain nailed him.

Oh, lol

I guess I jumped the gun on my vote there, thinking you were asking who declared war on who first.

Is there a point to any of this?

It was the FDR administration's fault we got attacked in the first place.

Just saying.

Is there a point to any of this?

A guy who lost a Republican primary by a huge margin screwed up an entirely trivial historical point in a speech he made 3+ months ago. Isn't the significance obvious?

A guy who lost a Republican primary by a huge margin screwed up an entirely trivial historical point in a speech he made 3+ months ago. Isn't the significance obvious?

At least he knew who we fought. I don't know if you can say that for most Americans.

We went to war with Japan. Japan was allied with Germany as a result we were at war with both.

We went to war with Japan. Japan was allied with Germany as a result we were at war with both.

That's hardly automatic just beause of an alliance.

The USSR did not fight Japan until the very end, and then only to grab some land.

Yes the US declared war on both nations the vote in the Senate was 88-0 and House 393-0 for war with Germany. In regards to Italy the vote was Senate: 90-0 House: 399-0. Thus, by act of Congress and the President, war was formally declared on both nations by the US.

Yes the US declared war on both nations the vote in the Senate was 88-0 and House 393-0 for war with Germany. In regards to Italy the vote was Senate: 90-0 House: 399-0. Thus, by act of Congress and the President, war was formally declared on both nations by the US.

I know it's absolutely irrelevant, but, as a point of historical interest, I was under the impression that the first female senator, whose name escapes me presently, voted against both the First AND Second World Wars?

At least he knew who we fought. I don't know if you can say that for most Americans.

According to the great historian John "Bluto" Blutarsky, "It wasn't over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor."

The USSR did not fight Japan until the very end, and then only to grab some land.

World War I suggests that alliances and agreements very much make war automatic. The entire European landscape dove right in and it was all in accordance to former agreements. It was rediculous. Eventually, with the core countries making a mess, other European countries got sucked in and then us in 1917.

World War II was showed more of a reluctance.

Last edited:
I know it's absolutely irrelevant, but, as a point of historical interest, I was under the impression that the first female senator, whose name escapes me presently, voted against both the First AND Second World Wars?

A lot more than just one senator was against going to War in Europe both times. In the end, your people proved incapable of dealing with your own mess, which sucked us in just to protect our own interests.

What was because Japan and the USSR signed a non-aggression treaty which the Soviets violated to get that land grab (not that they got very much land out of it in the end)

It wasn't that simple.

In the summer of 1941, FDR was engaging in ASW warfare against Germany (USS Greer Incident), in violation of the Constitutional requirement that the Congress declare war. (Which Presidents since Jefferson had done.)

In the late fall of 1941, Japan attacked the US without warning, precipitating a Declaration of War by the Congress on Japan. At least one Democrat voted "no". Congress did not declare war on Germany or Italy.

This pissed Hitler off, and he then declared war on the US (LINK) and the US Congress finally responded by issuing a declaration of war against Germany and Italy. Text of US Declaration of War against Germany - Note statement that Germany has declared war on the US.

World War I suggests that alliances and agreements very much make war automatic. The entire European landscape dove right in and it was all in accordance to former agreements. It was rediculous. Eventually, with the core countries making a mess, other European countries got sucked in and then us in 1917.

World War II was showed more of a reluctance.

No.

The United States did not get "sucked" into WWI. The United States was PUSHED into the war by Wilson, who had campaigned on the lie that he would not let the United States get dragged into the European War.

I'm guessing that since the Amendment granting women suffrage in the US wasn't passed until the 1920's, and since the 17th Amendment destroying the republic and making the US Senate an elective body wasn't ratified until Wilson was president, that the US didn't have any female Senators to oppose US entry in WWI.

Wiki - Women in US Senate - First one served for one day in 1922.

The nation's gone downhill since.

So this was all about taking a cheap shot at JD Hayworth? At least you did it in four posts, that way you at least you won't be wasting anymore of our time. Thank you for playing.

Yes. Germany delcared war on the US, then the US did the same on Germany.
Not sure about the sequence of events regading Italy, but we did declare war.

Back
Top Bottom