• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

WWII-era fighter plane crashes in Texas during re-enactment show (PHOTOS)

A friend of mine, who was a ME109 pilot in the war, once told me about his experience at seeing a captured P-51. Said they were amazed at the amount of space in the cockpit, his comment was you could hide in there. He said getting into the 109 was like putting on a glove by comparison.

I have seen one or two of each and the German pilot is correct.

View attachment 67244581

ME-109

View attachment 67244582

P-51

A friend of mine, who was a ME109 pilot in the war, once told me about his experience at seeing a captured P-51. Said they were amazed at the amount of space in the cockpit, his comment was you could hide in there. He said getting into the 109 was like putting on a glove by comparison.

The last four ? Planes Bubi shot down were P-51s

What’s that have to do with P-51 victories?

Bubis last victories was when he would down a 51, and in retaliation the rest of the American squadron would shoot down most of the Russian planes they saw.

You should read Eric Hartman’s book............ before you shove your foot into your mouth any deeper.

You should read Eric Hartman’s book............ before you shove your foot into your mouth any deeper.

347/352 Mustang

Followed by B-26, then YAK-3, Yak-9, P-39 and the last one Yak-9

Hartmann is credited with one P-51, followed by the five listed above for a 352 tally.

Since you have read the book, you should be able to spell his name. Erich Hartmann

There are 100 year old "EXPERIMENTAL" aircraft. Would I fly one. OH HELL YES.

I have survived a near accident in a CH-46 already. And five motorcycle accidents. A couple of cars crashes. A near crushing by a fuel tank. Stuck without transportation in a Naval Bombing range, in summer, in the desert. And a couple of more "OMG I thought I was going to die" moments.....

I think "He died at the controls of a vintage WWI SPAD" sounds a lot better than "he died in his sleep".

I agree. Living life to it's fullest means you have to take some risks now and then. Dying in one's sleep isn't bad, but things could be a whole lot more fun than that. The truth is that in life we generally strap in and enjoy the ride, or we hide under a bed. I'll take the former, even at my age. I'm still not jumping out of a good airplane, though. Gotta draw the line somewhere. I'll jump if the plane's about to crap out, but only then.

347/352 Mustang

Followed by B-26, then YAK-3, Yak-9, P-39 and the last one Yak-9

Hartmann is credited with one P-51, followed by the five listed above for a 352 tally.

Since you have read the book, you should be able to spell his name. Erich Hartmann
There were eight in Romania, and if you’d care to read his book his last four were 51’s too

I said nothing about the "last four" or Bubi and I said it was a captured plane, not crashed.

Yes. The Mustang was very lethal. In a dog fight. But that wasn’t how the aces fought. You flew through the enemies formation, broke away, then decided if you wanted to give it another go.

https://www.rt.com/usa/444287-fighter-plane-crashes-texas/

A vintage fighter plane that saw action during WWII and the Korean War crashed into a parking lot during a re-enactment show in Texas. Two people died in the incident.
The P-51 Mustang went down on Saturday in Fredericksburg, Texas, during the WWII Pacific Combat Program event organized by the National Museum of the Pacific War. The museum later confirmed on Twitter that both passengers on the plane, one of which was a military veteran, had been killed.
============================================
There are people & museums that collect vintage military aircraft & then there are people who insist in flying them, either for sport or for demonstrations at air shows, as in this case. I have a basic problem with the people that fly these aircraft because the number remaining is getting smaller. I feel that they should all be in museums for the enjoyment & edification of current & future generations.

Yeah, let's have the govt confiscate those planes from these selfish bastards.

Saburo Sakai would disagree....

He flew a Zero. That's a different kettle of fish. They were turn and burn not zoom and boom fighters.

Wild thread here; Eastern Front to the Pacific Theater, where to next?

Prop jobs were fighting into the 1960s.

Hell, Israel flew Me-109s for a while.

Low and slow, good ground support!

I didn’t realize the Mustang saw much service in the PTO.

Back
Top Bottom