• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

WTC wants to sue American Airlines, United Airlines and others for negligence

Should the WTC be allowed to sue?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Superfly

Salty, defiant, and completely non-compliant.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Airlines May Face Lawsuits From World Trade Center Owners For 9/11; Judge Hellerstein To Rule This Week NEW YORK -- A judge who has presided over most of the litigation stemming from the Sept. 11 attacks will decide whether the owners of the World Trade Center can try to make aviation companies pay billions of dollars in damages.
U.S. District Judge Alvin K. Hellerstein said he will announce his decision immediately after hearing several witnesses and listening to arguments in a nonjury trial starting Monday and expected to last three days.
The trial will decide whether World Trade Center Properties and its affiliates can receive more than the $4.9 billion in insurance proceeds they have already recovered since the 9/11 attacks by terrorists who hijacked commercial airliners and flew them into the 110-story twin towers. The attacks led to the destruction of the towers as well as a third trade center building.
If the judge should decide that the World Trade Center owners were entitled to additional money, a liability trial might occur. The defendants include American Airlines Inc., AMR Corp., United Airlines Inc., US Airways Inc., Colgan Air Inc., Boeing Co. and the Massachusetts Port Authority, among others.
Should the airlines be held accountable for the negligence involved in allowing the 19 suicide bombers on board their planes?

Greed has no shame.

Seems the statute of limitations would have run out by now.

i vote to let the issue die. enough people have already paid too much because of that ****ing attack.

also, whoever came up with the idea to sue 12 years after the fact is an idiot.

A judge is weighing his decision on whether or not to let the case go through. I hope he says no.

Should the airlines be held accountable for the negligence involved in allowing the 19 suicide bombers on board their planes?

Were the airlines themselves in charge of security in the airports that the terrorists boarded at? If not, I don't see how they could be held liable.

No; they were not negligent, since the 19 suicide bombers did not get on the planes with one iota of banned items. They exploited a flaw in our system. Ergo, no actionable negligence on the part of the Airlines involved.

I'm pretty sure the airlines were all operating according to FAA rules and regulations at the time.

Three questions I'd have - have airlines been sued in the past for hijackings? - didn't the WTC's insurers cover losses related to the damage to the buildings? - and if the WTC can sue the airlines for allowing their planes to be hijacked, can't the businesses located in the WTC sue the owners of the WTC for renting out buildings that were structurally insufficient to stay standing after such an event?

If this idiotic crap happens, then I expect everyone can sue the automobile companies for manufacturing vehicles that get involved in accidents.

l still dont know it is still mystery to me how speedy their identities were determined as soon as two planes crashed into teh towers

Where is the "Oh Hell No!!!!" option? Greedy bastards want to open that national wound for ****ing money? Screw 'em.

Back
Top Bottom