• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

writer in The Wanderer cites Limbaugh: Abortion led to all the [rotten-ness in society]

narrowroad

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
I never knew Limbaugh said such a thing. I myself had been sying in for YEARS.

I mean, it kind of stands up to the logic test... You know things are going downhill FAST when you advocate, promote, cheer... the murder of innocent children...

I mean, yeah.... another one of those "goes without saying" things that always seems to need to be said just the same...

There was basically no abortion in America in 1840. Was the country less rotten when it held millions of people as slaves simply for their skin color?

People like Limbaugh caused infinitely more rot in this country than affording women the basic right to decide what to do with their bodies.

Though it's interesting watching conservative boomers continue to harp on the subject given that two thirds of Americans support a woman's right to choose. This isn't even a debate anymore. You lost...badly.

I mean, it kind of stands up to the logic test... You know things are going downhill FAST when you advocate, promote, cheer... the murder of innocent children...

I mean, yeah.... another one of those "goes without saying" things that always seems to need to be said just the same...

abortions = murder
another dishonest and monumentally stupid OP fails again LOL

Limpballs was a blowhard.

Abortion is not murder. FACT. There is no evidence that it causes "rottenness" in society. None whatsoever.

Nobody does this. Nobody has ever done this.

Please stop posting moronic nonsense.

I wish abortion caused all this rottenness. That would be so much easier. Although, are you saying god is punishing us for being bad?

Nobody does this. Nobody has ever done this.

Please stop posting moronic nonsense.
ok, I will start posting more logical ones like

we have to care about the children at the border, to hell w/ the ones in the womb

How's that?

I wish abortion caused all this rottenness. That would be so much easier. Although, are you saying god is punishing us for being bad?
legalized abortion sends ALL the msg that some lives are not worth living and that whoever is more powerful can snuff out said the less powerful...

lovely message

ok, I will start posting more logical ones like

we have to care about the children at the border, to hell w/ the ones in the womb

How's that?

Are you suggesting those kids at the border are not worth being taken care of???

legalized abortion sends ALL the msg that some lives are not worth living and that whoever is more powerful can snuff out said the less powerful...

lovely message
I guess I’d be more inclined to listen to this argument if it’s standard were held up equally across all subjects.

Rush was indeed one of the greatest minds of all time. He is greatly missed.

No surprise.
Children aren’t being murdered. Fetuses are being aborted. Those two things are not the same, no matter how hard you try to twist fiction into fact.
Nothing that ever came out Limbaugh’s mouth needed to be said.

There was basically no abortion in America in 1840. Was the country less rotten when it held millions of people as slaves simply for their skin color?
Actually, abortion was very common in the 19th century. Around the middle of the century, a higher percentage of pregnancies ended in abortion than now.

Actually, abortion was very common in the 19th century. Around the middle of the century, a higher percentage of pregnancies ended in abortion than now.

Source for this claim?

Source for this claim?
There are actually quite a few references. I just picked a few at the top of the page when you asked for information.

19th century medical and religious communities didn’t view ending early pregnancy as abortion because they didn’t consider the fetus, before a heartbeat was detected or the woman felt the fetus move (referred to as the “quickening”), to be a “baby”.

“Contemporary estimates of mid-19th century abortion rates in the United States suggest between 20% and 25% of all pregnancies in the United States during that era ended in abortion.”
“HAUGEBERG: Scholars will probably never be able to answer that question with precision precisely because the procedure was illegal. But scholars estimate that between 20% and 25% of all pregnancies ended in abortion before Roe v. Wade.”
“Even though no accurate data on the frequently of abortion existed, women often practice abortion in the absence of other means of fertility control. They even helped their fellow sisters by telling them what they can use to induce abortion. These women were often church-going women and well respected in their communities.”
“Primary nationwide abortion statistics for the United States are available from two sources—privately from the Guttmacher Institute (AGI) and publicly from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). Guttmacher’s numbers, published every three years, come from direct surveys of all known and suspected abortion providers in the United States. The CDC numbers, published annually, are derived from actual counts of every abortion reported to state health departments.”

ANNUAL ABORTION STATISTICS
  • Based on available state-level data, approximately 891,000 abortions took place in the United States in 2019, up from 876,000 abortions in 2018.
  • According to the Guttmacher Institute, an estimated 862,320 abortionstook place in the United States in 2017—down from 926,240 in 2014. Guttmacher's selected annual abortion estimates for the last 20+ years are listed below:
  • Based on available state-level data, approximately 890,000 abortions took place in the United States in 2016—down from approximately 913,000 abortions in 2015.
  • In 2017, approximately 18% of U.S. pregnancies (excluding spontaneous miscarriages) ended in abortion.

Limbaugh was an entertainer. I never cared for his shtick, it seemed mean & pointless to me - like listening to Don Rickles do his similar shtick for hours & hours @ a time. But tastes vary. Anyway, Limbaugh didn't claim to be a deep nor original thinker. He just had a certain gift for radio gab, & turned that into a nice living.

I suspect that underlying all of Limbaugh's banter was a real problem with Modernity - from say the 1860s or so - the US Civil War, the publication of Darwin's The Origin of Species, & other landmarks in Western culture - but he never came up with a cure nor a remedy for that.

Limbaugh was an entertainer. I never cared for his shtick, it seemed mean & pointless to me - like listening to Don Rickles do his similar shtick for hours & hours @ a time. But tastes vary. Anyway, Limbaugh didn't claim to be a deep nor original thinker. He just had a certain gift for radio gab, & turned that into a nice living.

I suspect that underlying all of Limbaugh's banter was a real problem with Modernity - from say the 1860s or so - the US Civil War, the publication of Darwin's The Origin of Species, & other landmarks in Western culture - but he never came up with a cure nor a remedy for that.
I don't know if you people are just posturing or you really don't know what Limbaugh was about. He was the best in so many areas. He was the top journalist in America, the top newsman in America, the top political analyst in the world, and he was extremely entertaining bsides. Anybody who says he was a performer and nothing else is either lying or ignorant.

I don't know if you people are just posturing or you really don't know what Limbaugh was about. He was the best in so many areas. He was the top journalist in America, the top newsman in America, the top political analyst in the world, and he was extremely entertaining bsides. Anybody who says he was a performer and nothing else is either lying or ignorant.

He also did a bit where he laughed and celebrated people dying from AIDS. I can see why you would love him.

Once he found an audience, I read one of his early books, watched an episode of his TV show (it tanked early), listened to some of his Spiel. He struggled to find a format & audience, & cold tests with a live audience nearly got him Scheiss-canned. But he persevered, & made a fortune @ it.

He paid a price, I suppose. But he did OK. That's the most enthusiasm I can work up for the guy. He was a financial success - don't know about the rest of it. I thought he might have been lonely - money doesn't hug you back. But I may be reading something into it that isn't there.

In many ways it was.

But if you look at it as though slavery is the greatest moral evil that ever existed (it wasn’t) and that it was uniquely American (again, it wasn’t) and combine it with a simplistic good/bad binary way of thinking then maybe I could see you point. I’m a little smarter then this though.

Rush was indeed one of the greatest minds of all time. He is greatly missed.
And there's America's problem right there.

Elevating venal assholes to sainthood. Idiots as brilliant.

Too bad rush didn't die worse. Screaming would have been nice.

And there's America's problem right there.

Elevating venal assholes to sainthood. Idiots as brilliant.

Too bad rush didn't die worse. Screaming would have been nice.
Stay classy.

In your mind, Don Lemon is probably the greatest journalist of all time.

Back
Top Bottom