• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Would you watch "positive" news programs?

Would you watch "positive" news programs?

• Yes, I'd watch it, absolutely.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I like to say I would watch it, but I know I probably wouldn't.

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Maybe, sometimes.

• No, I'd never watch it.

• Other

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
Would you watch "positive" news programs? (ETA: The entire program, not just segments)

People always seem to clamor for this. Yet, over my lifetime I have seen a couple attempts by local tv stations to do this, and all have failed miserably. I just saw a local tv station on Facebook asking, "What news stories should we feature today?", and several people said they wanted all positive stuff.

I am going to submit that this is an area where people think they know what they want, but really don't. Just as people think and say they want healthy choices from McDonald's, they still order burgers and fries and the healthy choices fail. Same here. People think and say they want positive news, but then won't watch it.

I won't pretend. I will freely admit that I do not watch the news for "good" news. I want what I call "hard news". Hard news can be good, such as when a kidnap victim is found safe, but it's usually not. I do appreciate a positive "feel good" story mixed in, absolutely, but honestly I wouldn't even bother to tune in if that's all the program was.

Probably wouldn't watch it. The Soviets had a name for feel good news: Propaganda.

All joking aside, positive stuff just kinda filters out if it's over covered. But the occasional good story is a pleasant break from the daily grind of bad or contentious news.

Back
Top Bottom