• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Would you vote for Mel Gibson if he ran for Governor of California?

Would you vote for Mel Gibson if he ran for Governor of California?

• yes

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • no

Votes: 12 66.7%

• Total voters
Caine said:
Umm.. My answer had absolutely nothing to do with the Film, which I assume your speaking of, called The Passion of the Christ..... if anything, they beat that poor guy to a pulp, but thats what happens when you exclaim your the son of god, which is idolatry....anyways....

Mel Gibson's father is in Holocaust Denial... and Mel has never answered his view on it when questioned.......

I understand he is making a mini-series about a Jewish man during the Holocaust, but his father's view has me curious
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/02/04/1075853913211.html?from=storyrhs

Oh.....that's what happens huh, just like that huh? :roll:

Deegan said:
Oh.....that's what happens huh, just like that huh? :roll:

I repeat.... huh?

Caine said:
I repeat.... huh?

I was appalled at your flippant attitude, which is obviously born out of your extreme hatred for religion, unless you were fondled or something, you have serious issues pal. Read your own post again, I'm not even going to repeat the trash that comes from your filthy mind.:roll:

Deegan said:
I was appalled at your flippant attitude, which is obviously born out of your extreme hatred for religion, unless you were fondled or something, you have serious issues pal. Read your own post again, I'm not even going to repeat the trash that comes from your filthy mind.:roll:

LOL... why must you insist that I hate religion when I am a converting Jew?

Yes, I hate religion so much that I would go through a year long or longer process to be a part of the Jewish people.... yes... I truly despise religion.

Caine said:
LOL... why must you insist that I hate religion when I am a converting Jew?

Yes, I hate religion so much that I would go through a year long or longer process to be a part of the Jewish people.... yes... I truly despise religion.

You are certainly being taught to hate Christ there, and what's with the "idolatry" then, do you even know what the hell you're doing there?:roll:

George_Washington said:
"How's come when Scorsese made his film, nobody said he was, "anti-Christian?" How's come when Howard Stern or any one of the dozen other non-Christians in the media bash Christianity, it's never anti-Christian and always just a common freedom of speech issue?"

I saw the film and only once. It was not an earth shattering film and it was not true to the book from which it was taken. Scorsese, who claims to be a Catholic and i believe him simply dropped the ball or the studio forced him to make a film which was less than great.

"The Last Temptation of Christ" by Greek author Nikos Kazantzakis (1883-1957) was first published in 1952. For many believers in the Christian faith this work is notanti-Christian, though it may criticize some aspects of "organized" religion, it is a very spiritual book that potrays Christ in a positive light.

I was introduced to the book some 40 years ago by a Jesuit priest who was IMO one of the most spiritual men I have ever known and on e of the most religious at the same time. It was at a very confusing time of my life and so I turned to the church and this man. He began by giving me the "standard" speech about the life and deeds of Christ. I said i didn't want any of that because I had heard it all before. So he asked me if I believed in the message that Christiany tries to impart. Yes, but the figure if Christ presented a problem for me. Here we have God, the creator of the Universe who sends us his word through the voice of a human being just like you and I so that we are not over awed by the word of God. Organized religion then turns right around and spends 2000 years deifying Christ. In the end Christ is far from human like you and I so we cannot relate to him in the sense of imitating his life and work because he is now far above us. He gave me the book to read and what I found out was:

What Kazantzakis does is to make Christ more human, closer to us so that we can relate to him and know that the Christ consciousness, if you will, is attainable by all people. The author's approach to some of the biblical miracles is interesting and revealing to say the least. It is a very spiritual book that lauds the work of Christ.

BTW for those who saw the movie, What is the last temptation of Christ?

http://www.historical-museum.gr/kazantzakis/index1.html

Last edited:
Deegan said:
You are certainly being taught to hate Christ there, and what's with the "idolatry" then, do you even know what the hell you're doing there?:roll:

Im not being taught to hate christ, christ was a good man, a good philosopher, but he was no prophet or messiah.

Christ actually taught against the beliefs in the Torah, which Is where I wonder just WHY the "old testament" as christians call it is included in their "Holy Bible" when thier New Testament teaches against it, but pulls out the parts of the Old Testament that they want to choose from. Yes, all religions are in some way shape or form hypocritical, but I find that especially funny.

Idolatry, the way christians seem to worship the man on the cross by praying to it and doing thier little "crossing" of themselves thing... ( I never did know the right name for it, or understand why it was necessary).

I don't have a problem with Christians, as long as they stay away from having Missionaries aimed at Converting Jews, and, of course, keep thier religious attitude away from me, since many Christians think thier religion is better than everyone elses.

http://www.beingjewish.com/toshuv/

If I lived in California I would vote for Gibson in a heart beat but realistically because he is a conservative he has no chance of winning in that liberal state........

Navy Pride said:
If I lived in California I would vote for Gibson in a heart beat but realistically because he is a conservative he has no chance of winning in that liberal state........

Why would you vote for Gibson? He has only said he has a desire to run. He hasn't put forth any complete platform or official agenda. Are you leading me to believe you would vote for him simply because he is a conservative?

Navy Pride said:

Just like the Governator they have right now huh?????

If Schwartenegar (I can't spell his retarded ass name)...
If.. ARNIE.... was such a Liberal, Wouldn't he have let that Tookie feller live???

Of course... I wouldn't have let him live... but thats because Im not as Liberal as you think I am.... We have punishments for heinous laws for a reason... not to turn around and let every death row inmate go after scaring that **** out of them for 25 years.

But im getting off topic....

Inuyasha said:
Why would you vote for Gibson? He has only said he has a desire to run. He hasn't put forth any complete platform or official agenda. Are you leading me to believe you would vote for him simply because he is a conservative?

Bring a conservative has a lot to do with it.......I don't agree with any candidate on every issue but if one is fiscally and socially conservative he would get my vote.........

Navy Pride said:
Bring a conservative has a lot to do with it.......I don't agree with any candidate on every issue but if one is fiscally and socially conservative he would get my vote.........

How would you determine this if he doesn't even have a platform?

Caine said:
How would you determine this if he doesn't even have a platform?

I would have to learn what his platform is but I already have a general idea of what it would contain from what I already know about him........

Of course I'd vote for Mel.

He'd be running against a Democrat.

What better reason could there be?

Caine said:
Im not from California, But I think Mel being in politics is a bad idea.....

Too many ties to Anti-Semitism.

Why do you say this? I've never seen a single anti-semitic remark come from Gibson.

Caine said:
Umm.. My answer had absolutely nothing to do with the Film, which I assume your speaking of, called The Passion of the Christ..... if anything, they beat that poor guy to a pulp, but thats what happens when you exclaim your the son of god, which is idolatry....anyways....

Mel Gibson's father is in Holocaust Denial... and Mel has never answered his view on it when questioned.......

I understand he is making a mini-series about a Jewish man during the Holocaust, but his father's view has me curious
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/02/04/1075853913211.html?from=storyrhs

I'll give you a hint about living in the United States:

We judge a man on who he is, not who his father is.

Out of curiosity, am I the only person here that COULD vote for Gibson if he ran for governor of California?

Last edited:
Scarecrow Akhbar said:

Well, I do have to respect old Mel for a few things........

He has made some of my favorite movies, I liked Braveheart alot... and others...

And... The Torah teaches us to honor the mother and the father...... he certainly did that in this case........

Scarecrow Akhbar said:

Out of curiosity, am I the only person here that COULD vote for Gibson if he ran for governor of California?

No dude, I would vote for him at least. lol.

And you're right, we shouldn't judge him based on his father or anybody else that is related to him. That is just absurd.

George_Washington said:
No dude, I would vote for him at least. lol.

And you're right, we shouldn't judge him based on his father or anybody else that is related to him. That is just absurd.

Absurd, maybe. But it still happens....people are judged by the thoughts and actions of their family members all the time. Which is why I'd never run for political office, 'cause people would be put off by the fact that my father was a big druggie, ignoring the fact that I haven't had much of a relationship with him for the past 17 years...

Stace said:
Absurd, maybe. But it still happens....people are judged by the thoughts and actions of their family members all the time. Which is why I'd never run for political office, 'cause people would be put off by the fact that my father was a big druggie, ignoring the fact that I haven't had much of a relationship with him for the past 17 years...

Are you kidding? You just won my vote!

Hoot said:
Are you kidding? You just won my vote!

Woo hoo!

Crap....which office is that for again? :mrgreen:

Seriously, If I ran for political office, there's definitely some things that could come back to haunt me!

Who among us could stand up to the scrutiny of political life?!

Is there anyone who didn't have one of those nights in Alberquerque?

C'mon...some of you republicans have got to be sporting halos?

Yes I would, I loved the way that he and his Army mooned the British in Braveheart.:mrgreen:

Hoot said:
Seriously, If I ran for political office, there's definitely some things that could come back to haunt me!

Who among us could stand up to the scrutiny of political life?!

Is there anyone who didn't have one of those nights in Alberquerque?

C'mon...some of you republicans have got to be sporting halos?

Well, it was Minneapolis, actually, but I guess that's irrelevant....

I wouldn't vote for Mel Gibson...he's been hit in the head one too many times from his movies. ( Psssttt....that's why he's a republican)

But as a friend of mine informed me ( of the feminine persuasion), she wouldn't mind seeing his boots under her bed.

Back
Top Bottom