• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Would you vote for a Mormon?

Would you vote for a Mormon for any political office?

• Total voters

Josie

*probably reading smut*
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right

Sure, its not the religion I really vote for in a candidate.

Gabriel, why not?

I don't care. If the mormon has good ideas of course. If the mormon is a corrupt and mediocre politician, I would not.

Id vote for any religion or lack of religion depending on the canidate at hand, I said in a nother post TO MUCH religion would lose my vote faster tha too little.

It would be come a matter of how strong a mormon, pre 70's believer or new age? etc.

I would not use their religion as a determining factor in if I voted for them or not; however our views would almost inevitably be in opposition to each other (especially social issues), and it would be an exceptional case where I was able to find enough common ideological ground to convince me to vote for them.

disclaimer.. I hate lumping a group into a stereotype, and also absolutes, there are always exceptions.

It probably depends upon the Mormon in question.
A lot of people, for instance, did support Romney, and may get a chance to support him again in 2012.
I'd be just as apt to vote for a Mormon as for a Southern Baptist like George Bush, or any other type of Christian, or an observant Jew.
I see their religious ideologies as being equally weird, but there's really no getting away from electing a member of some major religious faith, since openly nonreligious candidates really aren't on the ballots, for obvious reasons. We still live in a very religious society.
I try to go with candidates that appear to be only moderately religious, or better yet only nominally religious, or at the very least candidates who don't let their belief in magical invisible deities in the sky influence their foreign and domestic policy overmuch.
I greatly prefer leaders such as Barack Obama, who appear to believe strongly in religion as a social force for unity, charity, and goodwill (for those who need an outside motivation in order to exhibit these positive qualities, which seems to be most people) without displaying any real interest at all in the more fanciful and/or oppressive elements of their chosen religion.

I'd not vote for the man who advertises his religion, or lack thereof, or any other affliction ...
Another "no-vote"...as the choice is too controlling, too limited.

I say maybe. If he is a phony who only wears religion on his sleeve for votes then no,such a candidate is most likely to be a flip flooper and if he does things to contridict his religion then most likely he will do things to contradict the voters who put him in office.

Messed up my vote. Meant to choose yes.

As long as his views were more in line with mine than the other guy and I didn't think that he was going to try to make religious based laws. Who I vote for depends on them, not their religion or lack of religion.

No I wouldn't. Mormons are certifiably insane.

Is this mormon legalizing polygamy? Because I'd vote for him on that alone.

I cannot see why it would matter any more than if some one was christian, or Hindu, or an atheist, or an agnostic.

So long as they keep their religion entirely out of their politics, sure. I don't care what religion you profess, just keep it to yourself. Anyone, no matter what religion, who insists on mixing their religious fantasies with their political duties doesn't deserve the job.

I would never NOT vote for someone based solely on their religion, so if I had enough in common with said Mormon politically, then yes, I might vote for him/her.

I think I did, can't remember for sure though. Would have no problem doing so in the future.

Saying no is no different than saying you wouldn't vote for an athiest/hispanic/woman.

It depends on the context. What are his policy positions? Who is he running against and what are they like?

In brief, if a Mormon candidate appeared to be the best viable choice in a given election, yes I'd vote for him.

If most of his policy positions are in line with my own, why not?

As long as their religion didn't effect their policy, and I agree with them on most issues sure why not.

Back
Top Bottom