• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Would You Support Splitting The U.S. Into 13 Commonwealths?

Would You Support Splitting The U.S. Into 13 Commonwealths?

• Yes

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • No

Votes: 19 82.6%
  • Maybe If It Was Changed

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters

Carjosse

Sit Nomine Digna
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
If you have ever played a Fallout game you must know about the U.S. before the Great War, anyways it was split into 13 commonwealths:
660px-JES_Commonweaths.jpg

Would you support merging the 50 sates into 13? I think this would be a good idea s it reduces the number of state governments from 50 to 13. I believe part of America's problems stem form the fact it has 50 different states and 50 diffrent governments to go with them aswell.

For anyone curious the flag was changed to this:
240px-USA_Flag_Pre-War.png

I see no positive gain and people having less control of their local government.

3 or 4 is more logical but I love the symbolism of 13.

Heck no!

Why would less states be better? What would this change?

The only thing this would do is take us one step closer to outright nationalization.

The individual states are a hedge against the tyranny of a central government and need to be preserved for that purpose.

Not seeing how much pride can be derived by claiming "I hail from the great commonwealth of North!"

Man, tough question.

I love Fallout, but I don't want to split...

Among the power elite in SoCal right now there would be a great gnashing of teeth - you just cut off their water and most of their resources. All they have left are deserts and hollywood, oh and gambling and prostitution. :mrgreen:

I can't see the benefit from making state governments less localized.

Also I refuse to be part of anything that tries to merge us with Kansas.

I see no positive gain and people having less control of their local government.

The new commonwealths still have common interests with similar economies, geography, etc. you just get rid of needless bureaucracy.

I would support an amiable divorce between the two major factions.

Since I'll be living in Nevca or Calnev does this mean my taxes will go up or down. NV has zero state income tax while CA has some elevated figure (95 or so). Do we split the difference or will we now have internecine warfare?

I like it but it scares me.

The new commonwealths still have common interests with similar economies, geography, etc. you just get rid of needless bureaucracy.

I don't think that's true, especially the way that map is set up. You have West Virginia and New York, New Mexico and Utah, San Francisco and Idaho all together. Some of them may have similar geography, but those places are very different.

A whole lot of problems in the formation of our nation came about because of conflicts between small states and big states. Numerous compromises weakened everything and subject Americans to unequal representation in the federal government. Arguments about the electoral college where a person's vote counts for more or less than others' merely because of which state they live in occur every single presidential election. Imagine the future conflicts we could avoid if we had, instead of a group of completely irregularly sized states, having states that are all the same size.

I would support putting an end to time-wasting polls which solve nothing.

say boss there is gambling and prostitution al over the united states some legal and some not ....some more and some less

That's what your concern would be?

In truth I have no dog in the fight and was merely poking fun at the proposed names.

But it does speak to the larger problem of abandoning organically developed entities in favour of artificially constructed ones - people don't buy it.

well ........the people that voted yes are the confederate tea party....ohhh i almost forgot when you break away you dont get to have any nukes....you might try to use them on the rest of the united states lol

If you have ever played a Fallout game you must know about the U.S. before the Great War, anyways it was split into 13 commonwealths:
660px-JES_Commonweaths.jpg

Would you support merging the 50 sates into 13? I think this would be a good idea s it reduces the number of state governments from 50 to 13. I believe part of America's problems stem form the fact it has 50 different states and 50 diffrent governments to go with them aswell.

For anyone curious the flag was changed to this:
240px-USA_Flag_Pre-War.png

No and I will bear arms to stop you.

A whole lot of problems in the formation of our nation came about because of conflicts between small states and big states. Numerous compromises weakened everything and subject Americans to unequal representation in the federal government. Arguments about the electoral college where a person's vote counts for more or less than others' merely because of which state they live in occur every single presidential election. Imagine the future conflicts we could avoid if we had, instead of a group of completely irregularly sized states, having states that are all the same size.

You may be right that interstate conflicts could be somewhat decreased in this scenario, but my guess is that intrastate conflict would increase dramatically, and that places like West Virginia in the new Eastern Commonwealth would have their interests almost completely ignored.

Back
Top Bottom