• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Would You Support Splitting The U.S. Into 13 Commonwealths?

Would You Support Splitting The U.S. Into 13 Commonwealths?

• Yes

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • No

Votes: 19 82.6%
  • Maybe If It Was Changed

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
If you have ever played a Fallout game you must know about the U.S. before the Great War, anyways it was split into 13 commonwealths:
660px-JES_Commonweaths.jpg

Would you support merging the 50 sates into 13? I think this would be a good idea s it reduces the number of state governments from 50 to 13. I believe part of America's problems stem form the fact it has 50 different states and 50 diffrent governments to go with them aswell.

For anyone curious the flag was changed to this:
240px-USA_Flag_Pre-War.png

Whoever drew that map really knows nothing about the US.

A whole lot of problems in the formation of our nation came about because of conflicts between small states and big states. Numerous compromises weakened everything and subject Americans to unequal representation in the federal government. Arguments about the electoral college where a person's vote counts for more or less than others' merely because of which state they live in occur every single presidential election. Imagine the future conflicts we could avoid if we had, instead of a group of completely irregularly sized states, having states that are all the same size.

Imagine all of the lost representation.

In the game it was created to fight communism. Here is the U.S. in 2077. The U.S. isn't so drastically different it requires 50 different states anyways.

Lol but the game is centered around the failure of reducing the 50 states to 13 commonwealths.

"In reality, it created even more political strife in the American government, as commonwealths typically did everything they could to promote their own interests at the expense of other commonwealths."

Lol but the game is centered around the failure of reducing the 50 states to 13 commonwealths.

"In reality, it created even more political strife in the American government, as commonwealths typically did everything they could to promote their own interests at the expense of other commonwealths."

That's the U.S. now x50 not 13.

Yes if it means we can party in New Vegas!

I like how every region has a new name. Except Texas. :)

If you have ever played a Fallout game you must know about the U.S. before the Great War, anyways it was split into 13 commonwealths:

Would you support merging the 50 sates into 13? I think this would be a good idea s it reduces the number of state governments from 50 to 13. I believe part of America's problems stem form the fact it has 50 different states and 50 diffrent governments to go with them aswell.

Who drew up that stupid map ?

San Francisco should be surrendered to North Korea or some other commie country.

Los Angeles is already under Mexican occupation.

I believe there are already a few commonwealths with in the Union.

Come on, hawaii part of the South West ? Hawaii is closer to Alaska or even San Francisco than Los Angeles.

13 or 50 we continue to lose our local powers to the central establishment. I do not see this changing that.

Dude the quote was from your link. Even the video game that you got this idea from showed that your idea wouldnt work.

I'm not talking about that part form the game the idea of forming multiple commonwealths is form it and in the game it was meant to resist communism. In real life however it means 37 less bureaucracies in the U.S..

I'm not talking about that part form the game the idea of forming multiple commonwealths is form it and in the game it was meant to resist communism. In real life however it means 37 less bureaucracies in the U.S..

If the main purpose was meant to resist communism, then that basically eliminates the need for doing it because it is irrational to believe that communism has a serious chance of establishing itself in this country in even the next 50 or 100 years.

If the main purpose was meant to resist communism, then that basically eliminates the need for doing it because it is irrational to believe that communism has a serious chance of establishing itself in this country in even the next 50 or 100 years.

This getting hard to explain to people who have never played the games or read the wikia.

And there would be a lot less local representation. South and Central Florida would dominate that Gulf state. New York and Pennsylvania would dominate the Eastern commonwealth. San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose, Portland, and Seattle, would override anything that the people of Idaho would ever want. Huge groups of people would suddenly have zero political power because they would be dominated by even larger groups of people.

You are the one using a map from a Fallout wiki to make a claim. If the game cant be used as a argument against your idea, then why even use the game reference?

So in lieu of a intelligent map your idea falls flat on its face.

Interstate conflicts are nearly non-existent, and those which do pop up do nothing to bog down the day-to-day business of the country. The United States is the most solidly-cohesive federation in the world among constituent states which have any real sovereignty (no, not even Canada is as cohesive). The entire premise of this poll is based on not knowing anything about the subject matter. There is no "bureaucracy" which stems from having 50 states instead of 13.

It is not the state or state governments where the problem lies. The problem lies in Washington D.C. regardless of 50 states or 13 commonwealths.

You are the one using a map from a Fallout wiki to make a claim. If the game cant be used as a argument against your idea, then why even use the game reference?

So in lieu of a intelligent map your idea falls flat on its face.

THe map is the main thing I wanted to use as it shows how a division would work.

THe map is the main thing I wanted to use as it shows how a division would work.

Well, if you'd like us to follow Fallout as a guide for what to do, we could annex Canada, too.

I like how every region has a new name. Except Texas. :)

Nobody wants Texas, The oil would be nice, but unfortunately you get Texans too, so not worth it.

I see no positive gain and people having less control of their local government.

The only possible upside I can imagine is the lower taxpayer cost of having to maintain 13 Commonwealths versus 50 States. I would imagine the local County and City governments would remain the same?

The only possible upside I can imagine is the lower taxpayer cost of having to maintain 13 Commonwealths versus 50 States. I would imagine the local County and City governments would remain the same?

I don't think the difference would amount to much as far as savings.

Well, if you'd like us to follow Fallout as a guide for what to do, we could annex Canada, too.

There has to be a war with China first. I also do not see the Bureau of Alcohol, Drugs, Tobacco, Firearms and Lasers existing yet.

Why would it be lower?

Back
Top Bottom