• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Would You Support Legislation that Would Ban Burning/Destroying the Quran?

Would You Support Legislation that Would Ban Burning/Destroying the Quran?

• Total voters
In their eyes and in those of their sympathizers Western aid, missionaries, vaccination campaigns, etc. are every bit as outrageous and unacceptable as burning the koran.

But I bet it's not outrageous to the people receiving the aid. Otherwise they would reject it and their would be no further need to be there. What does burning their book gain, self gratification? I do however know giving aid does some good.

But I bet it's not outrageous to the people receiving the aid. Otherwise they would reject it and their would be no further need to be there. What does burning their book gain, self gratification? I do however know giving aid does some good.

You are completely missing the point about our essential freedoms. Do you feel that everything should be discouraged which you feel doesn't do any good?

I'm sorry, but you are advocating caving in to people who hate everything about our Western values and society and who will continue to kill Western soldiers (and others) until they have eradicated us. The idea you can somehow appease them is ludicrous.

Not trying to appease them. Trying to keep our troops safe, and if we are not prepared to do something as simple as refraining from burning a book well then we should pull our people from those areas and let the burning begin. Leave me out of it though. I don't have anything to gain by tearing down someone's faith. I couldn't care less what the radicals think, it's what the people over there we are trying to help think. All the good we do can be over turned by a book burning. Very trivial in the grand scheme of things. I am trying to look at the big picture here as in why do we stay there if we are not trying to make things better for the people who want our help? If we were trying to show them that we are a super power and can do whatever we want, we should have just leveled the place and been done with it.

It's not just a pissing match over "a book", it's the very foundation of who we are and what we want OUR society to be like. (Just as they would say the same thing, I'm sure.)

So you are saying every freedom we enjoy in this country, every war we fought , every soldier who died in battle was so we could burn a holy book that the majority of our country doesn't follow? I guess we have a major difference in opinion on what this country is about. That's ok though, that is one of the freedoms we enjoy.

So you are saying every freedom we enjoy in this country, every war we fought , every soldier who died in battle was so we could burn a holy book that the majority of our country doesn't follow? I guess we have a major difference in opinion on what this country is about. That's ok though, that is one of the freedoms we enjoy.
Are you purposely choosing to view the issue as regarding the burning of a particular book only, or do you really not see the broader issue?

You are completely missing the point about our essential freedoms. Do you feel that everything should be discouraged which you feel doesn't do any good?

Maybe I have not made myself clear. I do understand we have the right to do this. I can even understand the hatred some may have for the book in question. I def understand the mindset of the radicals who would kill me if they had the chance. I would like to remove all of those types from the globe.

What I am trying to say is this. We don't send the troops out to battle with no ammunition. We send them with ammo because it makes the job easier. If we can make their job easier by not burning a book then I say lets do it. Once we have them home then if you want to burn them be my guest. I want no part of it.

I did a poll on this about 2 years ago but since the arrest of Terry Jones has brought the issue back to the forefront and we have a number of members who weren't here then, I thought I'd ask it again.

If legislation were proposed making it illegal to burn or destroy the Quran (at least publicly) would you support it?

Incidentally, the first time I asked this, the "no" vote won overwhelmingly. I'm curious if the results will be largely the same.

Poll on the way.

As long as flag burning is legal and protected a free speech so to is burning of the Koran.

NO
Hell no !!
But, legislation to ban disrespect and intolerance ...thinkable...worthy of discussion....and this it....
And, a law to have ethics, morals taught in our schools....also a good subject , ect....

Are you purposely choosing to view the issue as regarding the burning of a particular book only, or do you really not see the broader issue?

No I totally get what your position is. What I am saying is even though we have that freedom of expression, does it mean we should use it to incite violence on our troops? If you want to burn a bible go ahead. That's your right to do it and it's doubtful our troops will be harmed because of it. I don't agree with it but I would honor your right to do so. If you want to burn our flag go ahead. As much is it pains me to see our country's flag burned, it's your right. I am sure there would be plenty of radicals to jump in and join you. Again leave me out of it.

I served this country proudly and still have friends that serve. Maybe it's me being selfish , but I would rather they were not made a martyr over a book none of them follow so someone else can prove a point.

No I totally get what your position is. What I am saying is even though we have that freedom of expression, does it mean we should use it to incite violence on our troops? If you want to burn a bible go ahead. That's your right to do it and it's doubtful our troops will be harmed because of it. I don't agree with it but I would honor your right to do so. If you want to burn our flag go ahead. As much is it pains me to see our country's flag burned, it's your right. I am sure there would be plenty of radicals to jump in and join you. Again leave me out of it.

I served this country proudly and still have friends that serve. Maybe it's me being selfish , but I would rather they were not made a martyr over a book none of them follow so someone else can prove a point.
But then, what is the point?

This is where it gets tricky, admittedly. I have a hard time buying into the notion that we are fighting for *our* freedoms. We're not literally defending our country... though maybe we are, in a round-about sense. Personally, I believe we should pull out immediately and completely, but for different reasons this this issue.

Be that as it may, freedom of speech and expression is not conditional or situational. You either have it or you don't. You either defend it or you don't. Sometimes it will be inconvenient and less-than-satisfying. That's how flag burning (in our own country) is to me. (I don't give a rat's arse if someone in another country burns our flag.) I detest the thought, but would defend the right of others to do so. It's not just about me, or even the individual defending said freedoms, it's about the whole thing as a concept.

We won't like the where the road leads if we start cherry-picking which speech is acceptable and which is not, no matter how we justify or rationalize it. Essentially, we defend the actions of those which are abhorrent to us so that, when it's our turn to protest, we can do so as well.

Much as I think Islamophobes are akin to racists, no I would not ban such a thing.

Overall I don't see the point of it, as much as I detest religion... I have never felt the need to desecrate anyone's holy book.

I just don't have the time, the inclination, the boredom or the hatred in my heart to do so.

I just remembered this for the first time since the Terry Jones controversy. In the Old Testament and maybe the New Testament too, I vaguely recall seeing something commanding people to burn the religious articles of certain faiths. I need to look it up. This should NOT be interpreted as me suggesting inciting Muslims is a good thing to do.

But then, what is the point?

This is where it gets tricky, admittedly. I have a hard time buying into the notion that we are fighting for *our* freedoms. We're not literally defending our country... though maybe we are, in a round-about sense. Personally, I believe we should pull out immediately and completely, but for different reasons this this issue.

Be that as it may, freedom of speech and expression is not conditional or situational. You either have it or you don't. You either defend it or you don't. Sometimes it will be inconvenient and less-than-satisfying. That's how flag burning (in our own country) is to me. (I don't give a rat's arse if someone in another country burns our flag.) I detest the thought, but would defend the right of others to do so. It's not just about me, or even the individual defending said freedoms, it's about the whole thing as a concept.

We won't like the where the road leads if we start cherry-picking which speech is acceptable and which is not, no matter how we justify or rationalize it. Essentially, we defend the actions of those which are abhorrent to us so that, when it's our turn to protest, we can do so as well.

I have the same feeling when it comes to whether or not we are fighting for our freedoms over there. I see it as the US running security while TRYING to stabilze a region that has major issues. I agree that we should pull out of the region. We never played the game the way it should have been played, but that is another topic.

I am not sure freedom of speech is unconditional and it can be situational. Yelling fire in a crowded theater when there is no fire is illegal for obvious reasons. People can be hurt. I look at this action the same way. I don't want speech to be stifled. I want people to be able to express themselves however they want. I think it is pert of what made this country great. And even though these young men and women signed up for and knew they could be injured or killed, I think we should do whatever small things we can to keep them as safe as possible or get out of the region.

I do also believe cherry picking is not good and eventually erodes freedoms, that's why I would not say a ban should be in place, but discouragement should be applied.

By the way I would like to say thanks for the respectful replies.

That's your choice! How would you feel if your burning the Quran resulted in confirmed killings of our troops. Those idiots over there are looking for any reason to justify their actions. Most times they don't even need a reason. I am not prepared to give them a reason over a book being burned. If we are going to give them a reason , let it be from attacking the radicals that cause the problems.

I have a novel idea...let's leave the middle east, then we don't have to worry about that! There have been 65 deaths recorded from terrorist involvement on American soil since 9/11, wikileaks revealed that the United States involvement in Iraq alone has cause over 66,000 civilian deaths there. Who is the bad guy? If you had a foreign nation on your front lawn telling you who the bad guys are, telling you how to govern your country you would be pissed off too. Ever think to consider that the United States is FUELING this hatred. When the United States blows something up it is in the name of freedom, no matter the collateral damage. When a Muslim does it it is an act of terrorism.

I'm already on record with this. Burning books, flags, even religious books is protected speech under the First Amendment.

Precisely this, end of discussion.

Being an asshole is covered under the first amendment.

I have a novel idea...let's leave the middle east, then we don't have to worry about that! There have been 65 deaths recorded from terrorist involvement on American soil since 9/11, wikileaks revealed that the United States involvement in Iraq alone has cause over 66,000 civilian deaths there. Who is the bad guy? If you had a foreign nation on your front lawn telling you who the bad guys are, telling you how to govern your country you would be pissed off too. Ever think to consider that the United States is FUELING this hatred. When the United States blows something up it is in the name of freedom, no matter the collateral damage. When a Muslim does it it is an act of terrorism.

You wont get an argument out of me on this. I have been saying it for a while now. I believe it may be for different reason's than you have given, but I am with you all the same. Bring em all home.

You wont get an argument out of me on this. I have been saying it for a while now. I believe it may be for different reason's than you have given, but I am with you all the same. Bring em all home.

Yes, it's not like jihadi terrorists would ever think of attacking the US at home, right?

Yes, it's not like jihadi terrorists would ever think of attacking the US at home, right?

If we are going to put the troops at further risk over burning a book then yeah bring them home. As far as being attacked at home, unless we figure out our immigration issues you can plan on more of that. By the looks of things that doesn't seem to be something we are willing to do. Things have calmed down tremendously in that region over the past few years, why ramp it back up over a book burning over here. If the guy want's to prove his point let him go over there and do it.

I'm glad you agree, not trying to get into an argument, just making my point it doesnt matter if we aren't there :)

Back
Top Bottom