• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Would You Support Legislation that Would Ban Burning/Destroying the Quran?

Would You Support Legislation that Would Ban Burning/Destroying the Quran?

• Total voters
Absolutely not. So long as it isn't in violation of any public safety laws, people should be able to do what they wish with their property, including burning it. Anyone who over-reacts due to burning of books, no matter what those books are, has a problem.

I did a poll on this about 2 years ago but since the arrest of Terry Jones has brought the issue back to the forefront and we have a number of members who weren't here then, I thought I'd ask it again.

If legislation were proposed making it illegal to burn or destroy the Quran (at least publicly) would you support it?

Incidentally, the first time I asked this, the "no" vote won overwhelmingly. I'm curious if the results will be largely the same.

Poll on the way.

Absolutely not.

Well.. you certainly can't suppress an idea by burning books.

Set a bonfire for all I care.

Is it right? No, I don't advocate that sort of hate, but Americans have the right to burn whatever book they want. It's very simple.

I voted maybe. Only because as long as we have troops in the middle east I think we should do whatever needed to keep them as safe as possible. I don't personally think its right to burn any books( especially religious books), but I also feel it's free speech to do so. But until we have all of our troops out of the area I def think we should highly discourage the act.

I am not a religious person but I don't see much use in taking a giant crap on someones religious beliefs either.
discourage is one thing - outright ban is another.

A ban is unacceptable.

discourage is one thing - outright ban is another.

A ban is unacceptable.

I wouldn't disagree, but like I said I am not prepared to put our troops further into harms way over someone trying to prove a point.

I wouldn't disagree, but like I said I am not prepared to put our troops further into harms way over someone trying to prove a point.
If the point is freedom of speech...they might be willing to be put in harms way...although I think the way to avoid that might be to not be there at all....since really, being there at all is probably more of an irritation than burning a holy book....

But since so far as I can tell from this incident, it wasn't a case of preventing burning of a book, so much as eliminating a fire hazard (car filled with kerosene-soaked books is a fire hazard, I think)....meh.

If it was some guy burning a book in his grill, I wouldn't say stopping him was unacceptable. Not fire hazard.

You stated he had been arrested then asked about free speech. If you are unfamiliar with the case as I was, that could create a very incorrect impression. SO no, not a non sequitor. It does in fact follow.

True enough, Redress. That was not want I was implying at all. I just meant that the same douchebag known for buring Qurans was recently arrested, therefore putting him back in the news and raising the issue again. I can see though how someone could read my OP the way you did.

If the point is freedom of speech...they might be willing to be put in harms way...although I think the way to avoid that might be to not be there at all....since really, being there at all is probably more of an irritation than burning a holy book....

But since so far as I can tell from this incident, it wasn't a case of preventing burning of a book, so much as eliminating a fire hazard (car filled with kerosene-soaked books is a fire hazard, I think)....meh.

If it was some guy burning a book in his grill, I wouldn't say stopping him was unacceptable. Not fire hazard.

I am all for protecting our rights of freedom of speech. I took the oath same as the guys and gals over there right now. I certainly wouldn't want my job to be harder or more dangerous over this guy. You know the more I think of this you are right. I believe it should be highly discouraged, not illegal. I would do everything possible to discourage the guy not to do it while we have troops in that region.

I would agree that being there would be more of an irritation than some guy burning a book. Only issue is not everyone is nescessarily in harms way over there. Burning their holy book may entice them to seek out softer targets.

I would discourage this action regardless of where he was doing it.

Hell no! I detest people who do, but it's protected speech.

I am all for protecting our rights of freedom of speech. I took the oath same as the guys and gals over there right now. I certainly wouldn't want my job to be harder or more dangerous over this guy. You know the more I think of this you are right. I believe it should be highly discouraged, not illegal. I would do everything possible to discourage the guy not to do it while we have troops in that region.

I would agree that being there would be more of an irritation than some guy burning a book. Only issue is not everyone is nescessarily in harms way over there. Burning their holy book may entice them to seek out softer targets.

I would discourage this action regardless of where he was doing it.

Would you also discourage Christian missionaries from going to Muslim countries? Would you discourage NGO's from engaging in vaccination campaigns in Muslim countries?

Just the concept of burning a truck load of books seems rather ignorant, regardless of the topic. It reminds me of one of the worst chapters in human history. . .

If legislation were proposed making it illegal to burn or destroy the Quran (at least publicly) would you support it?

I don't like the idea of people burning the flag either, but I don't support legislation that makes it illegal to burn an American Flag. So long as someone is within the fire code for their town/ county, they should be allowed to burn what they will.

It was the same when some dope made a horribly insulting movie regarding the Islamic faith a few years back. A totally disgusting venture, but it was his freedom to do so.

Just the concept of burning a truck load of books seems rather ignorant, regardless of the topic. It reminds me of one of the worst chapters in human history. . .

I don't like the idea of people burning the flag either, but I don't support legislation that makes it illegal to burn an American Flag. So long as someone is within the fire code for their town/ county, they should be allowed to burn what they will.

It was the same when some dope made a horribly insulting movie regarding the Islamic faith a few years back. A totally disgusting venture, but it was his freedom to do so.

You mean that horribly insulting movie that the Obama admin blamed the events in Benghazi on? Sometimes it feels like our relationship with the Middle East is like being married to an abusive spouse. We walk on eggshells hoping not to set them off then blame ourselves when we get hit.

Would you also discourage Christian missionaries from going to Muslim countries? Would you discourage NGO's from engaging in vaccination campaigns in Muslim countries?

Just as I would not discourage peaceful Muslim's from visiting our country or Buddhist's from giving out vaccines, no I would not discourage Christian's from visiting foreign lands.

I would however discourage anyone from burning the Christian Bible or any other religious book.

I'll burn the Quran if I want, I'll burn the Bible if i want, i'll burn the american flag if I want. That simple.

You mean that horribly insulting movie that the Obama admin blamed the events in Benghazi on?

Considering the content of the movie and the intended audience, I wouldn't go so far as to say it wasn't a contributing factor in that (or any attack). Plenty of protests popped up the following weeks, where the protestors directly referenced the movie.

Sure, I see it as a dumb reason to get mad, protest or attack anything, but I'm a big atheist.

The Irish were doing similar things back in the day, car bombing civilians and what not. . . all over religions nonsense.

Sometimes it feels like our relationship with the Middle East is like being married to an abusive spouse. We walk on eggshells hoping not to set them off then blame ourselves when we get hit.

Considering that we've started two major wars in the past decade, I'd say we aren't really doing very good at walking on egg shells.

I'll burn the Quran if I want, I'll burn the Bible if i want, i'll burn the american flag if I want. That simple.

That's your choice! How would you feel if your burning the Quran resulted in confirmed killings of our troops. Those idiots over there are looking for any reason to justify their actions. Most times they don't even need a reason. I am not prepared to give them a reason over a book being burned. If we are going to give them a reason , let it be from attacking the radicals that cause the problems.

I could not support the banning of burning of any book or document... just as I could not support the banning of any book or document.

Just as I would not discourage peaceful Muslim's from visiting our country or Buddhist's from giving out vaccines, no I would not discourage Christian's from visiting foreign lands.

I would however discourage anyone from burning the Christian Bible or any other religious book.

You know that upsets Muslim jihadi's too and leads to attacks on US citizens and soldiers too. But that you don't want to discourage, but free speech you do want to discourage. Sounds hypocritical to me.

That's your choice! How would you feel if your burning the Quran resulted in confirmed killings of our troops. Those idiots over there are looking for any reason to justify their actions. Most times they don't even need a reason. I am not prepared to give them a reason over a book being burned. If we are going to give them a reason , let it be from attacking the radicals that cause the problems.

So whatever they say goes?

You know that upsets Muslim jihadi's too and leads to attacks on US citizens and soldiers too. But that you don't want to discourage, but free speech you do want to discourage. Sounds hypocritical to me.

I do understand that. But it does not give credit to their cause when people are giving aid. Burning their holy book, in their eyes and their sympathizers eyes justifies their outrage.

I do understand that. But it does not give credit to their cause when people are giving aid. Burning their holy book, in their eyes and their sympathizers eyes justifies their outrage.

In their eyes and in those of their sympathizers Western aid, missionaries, vaccination campaigns, etc. are every bit as outrageous and unacceptable as burning the koran.

So whatever they say goes?

Not saying that at all. I am saying if we can discourage people from intentionally or unintentionally putting our troops further into harms way let's try to do it. Either that or pull our people from those areas so they are not being killed over a book. Our troops have done a lot of good in those regions working with the civilians and people in power. Lets try to build on that instead of having a pissing match over a book!

Not saying that at all. I am saying if we can discourage people from intentionally or unintentionally putting our troops further into harms way let's try to do it. Either that or pull our people from those areas so they are not being killed over a book. Our troops have done a lot of good in those regions working with the civilians and people in power. Lets try to build on that instead of having a pissing match over a book!

I'm sorry, but you are advocating caving in to people who hate everything about our Western values and society and who will continue to kill Western soldiers (and others) until they have eradicated us. The idea you can somehow appease them is ludicrous.

It's not just a pissing match over "a book", it's the very foundation of who we are and what we want OUR society to be like. (Just as they would say the same thing, I'm sure.)

Back
Top Bottom