• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Would You Support A Wall?

Would You Support A Border Wall Not Paid By The US Government?

• Total voters

Moderate Right

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Would you support a wall along the Mexican border if it was paid for by private enterprise instead of out of tax dollars? Of course it would somehow have to be turned into a profit making operation in one form or another.

Other.

It's okay to put walls in places where the land has been freely donated or purchased (no gubment seizures) for that purpose and private money is used.

Would you support a wall along the Mexican border if it was paid for by private enterprise instead of out of tax dollars? Of course it would somehow have to be turned into a profit making operation in one form or another.

would still need more info

this does get rid of the huge wast of money issue but a wall doesnt really address the issues anyway . .

but it still leaves the other issues and creates a new one
profits for what? that would matter . . it be easier to support if say bill gates just said he'll pay for it lol

but after that is the planning of it . . the one possible plan i saw takes away a lot of land from people and sometimes splits land due to topography leaving AMERICAN land on the other side of the wall . . so that is still an issue for me

The wall is a stupid idea backed by those willing to put on a show of caring about illegal immigration while not actually doing anything that will have real impact. After all, if there's a huge drop in illegal residents they're going to have to come up with another issue to dishonestly smear Democrats with.

That's just how cynical politics are these days.

If they actually cared, the focus would be on making it as hard as possible for employers to hire illegals and really fry the ones that do. If they can't get employment, the bulk would not be coming here.

I wouldn't support it, but which private enterprise do you imagine would fund it? As you say, it would have to be turned into a profit-making operation for private entities hoping to make a return on their investment.

"Profit making operation"? How so? Turn the wall into one large continuous advertising billboard? Charge for crossing somehow? Express lanes? Secret tunnels that cartels have to pay money to use in order to push drugs into America?

The wall itself isn't really going to strongly address any issues we have, so mostly we don't need it. And I'm not sure what sort of "profit making operation" would be planned by these corporations at the boarder, nor would I trust them in the least. The boarder belongs to and maintained by the government, not corporations.

As it stands now the Mexican/American boarder is some of the most inaccessible real estate on the planet. To build the wall roads would have to be built making that area exponentially more accessible. Then you build a multi-billion dollar wall that can be defeated by a home made ladder. DUMB, no matter who pays for it, it won't work and at the same time makes the problem bigger.

No, but I do support a wall, paid for by taxpayers, that is built by private enterprise. More jobs are a good thing.

If we don't do that, I support taking action against Mexico that will induce them to reduce the number of their citizens who attempt to enter the US through our southern border and induce them to reduce the ability of non-Mexicans being able to attempt to enter the US through our southern border.

The fact is, the security of the US and our economy depend upon the reduction of illegal aliens in the US.

I have no issues with wanting to control our borders, and there are places where a wall will restrict access to those places we control better.
That said we need to address why people A: come here to work, and B: find jobs here.
If they were not able to make much higher pay here than in their home country, then they would not come.

Solve the real issues in our nation like climate change, Russian infiltration into our federal government, skyrocketing healthcare costs, the growing gap between the ultrarich and the rest of us, and then maybe, maybe I will consider whether brown people coming into our nation might be a problem. (Hint, it isn't.)

Solve the real issues in our nation like climate change, Russian infiltration into our federal government, skyrocketing healthcare costs, the growing gap between the ultrarich and the rest of us, and then maybe, maybe I will consider whether brown people coming into our nation might be a problem. (Hint, it isn't.)

But this is private enterprise. What do you have against private enterprise?

No, I would still not support a wall even if it was funded by a private enterprise.

But this is private enterprise. There are many businesses I don't like and you don't like so what do you have against private enterprise? What difference does it make to you if a business makes a stupid toy or if they build a wall?

Is there any part of American governance that you aren't willing put up for sale? We are already selling our foreign policy positions to the highest bidder.

Border and/or port of entry security stops more than "brown people" from entering w/o permission. If you truly want open borders then we could eliminate all of the security forces (and their expense) and just let folks (and whatever they may bring with them) enter the country unimpeded. The current system of having some border security is obviously a fairly expensive half measure - the options are basically to either improve it or to get rid of it.

Not only do I support a wall I would help built it!:peace

There's nothing more unAmerican than private industry paying for something they can get the government to pay them for.

This wall will be U.S. taxpayer funded or it won't get done.

But this is private enterprise. There are many businesses I don't like and you don't like so what do you have against private enterprise? What difference does it make to you if a business makes a stupid toy or if they build a wall?

A business building a toy doesn't take private landowner's land away from them, as others mentioned.

No, but I do support a wall, paid for by taxpayers, that is built by private enterprise. More jobs are a good thing.

If we don't do that, I support taking action against Mexico that will induce them to reduce the number of their citizens who attempt to enter the US through our southern border and induce them to reduce the ability of non-Mexicans being able to attempt to enter the US through our southern border.

The fact is, the security of the US and our economy depend upon the reduction of illegal aliens in the US.

It's my understanding that most illegal aliens in the US entered the country legally. There's tens of thousands of legal crossings daily that a wall will have no effect on.

I will add to this - We have always controlled who comes in. Obama was the leader in deportation. Sadly so many of you listen to what Trump and the GOP tell you about the brown people coming.
Many are seeking asylum from other countries besides Mexico. They come seeking asylum which is not illegal.

Do you people even know how many come here to pick crops for us??? Have you not heard the stories of crops rotting in the fields because they won't come now??
No I'm sure you haven't.

Private entities can not build public infrastructure on private property.

It's my understanding that most illegal aliens in the US entered the country legally. There's tens of thousands of legal crossings daily that a wall will have no effect on.

I don't know the numbers. That may or may not be true. It's irrelevant to my point, though.

There is no reason we cannot take steps to eliminate aliens who illegally cross our border AND take steps to eliminate those who enter our country legally and then illegally remain.

I was addressing those who illegally cross our border.

Back
Top Bottom