• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Would you sign this?

Will you sign the petition to defund Obamacare?

• I signed the petition to defund Obamacare

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • I will not sign the petition to defund Obamacare

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The White House already responded to a petition that got roughly 65k signatures. https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/response/obamacare-isnt-going-anywhere-and-thats-good-thing

There are a lot of myths out there about the Affordable Care Act.
:lamo I was hoping their response started with that talking point.

It's clear that Obama won't listen to Republicans or the American people. They passed the bill without majority support and even with resistance I doubt they would let it die or get de-funded.

Exactly. They passed the bill when the majority of the country was against it and spent the last few years running around calling those that oppose Obamacare ignorant misinformed dip****s. After the senate has ignored the house 42 times it's pretty clear democrats have no interest in hearing what the American people want. If you ever look into the history of the accomplishments of the democratic party since FDR you would see this kind of behavior from them on pretty much every last one of them. The funny thing is they actually wonder why opposition to those ideas still exist. Perhaps because you never had the approval of the people? :lamo The party of the people apparently means ignore their ignorant asses and do whatever the **** we want.

Last edited:
Μολὼν λαβέ;1062347721 said:
Don't Fund Obamacare

1,598,313 Americans apparently have so far.

I wouldn't vote to defund the ACA, because that's not really going to accomplish anything.

I would, however vote to repeal the ACA. This was one of those half-measures that never should've made it as far as it has.

What would actually happen if PPACA were "defunded?" Can anyone answer that comprehensively? Would all the mandates and new rules for insurance companies still stand, with the only difference being no insurance subsidies? Or something else?

I'm trying to figure this out but I haven't had enough time to dig and find the answer (internet searches yield millions of uninformative news stories and partisan blog articles).

So... what would literally and specifically happen if the law were "defunded?"

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that they would challenge the defunding of the law and then it would go into another round of partisan bickering.

So, I guess it would be more of the same.

Μολὼν λαβέ;1062347721 said:
Don't Fund Obamacare

1,598,313 Americans apparently have so far.

Hmm, name and email. I am sure that is 1.5 million people who actually exist. Oh well, I guess if it helps you to think you did something, go for it. Just a stupid point, but you could probably do a lot more if you just made up names and emails. I am sure you could get that up to 2 million if you really put in the effort. Now shoo, you have work to do.

I would like everyone to realize that we are not a direct democracy.

What would actually happen if PPACA were "defunded?"

Not as much as the republicans would like you to think because most of the spending is entitlement spending which is not subject to specific appropriations.

Can anyone answer that comprehensively?

Maybe a few policy wonks who specialize in the PPACA, but not me nor anyone on DP

Would all the mandates and new rules for insurance companies still stand, with the only difference being no insurance subsidies? Or something else?

Mandates, rules, and regulations would still stand. So would the subsidies, if I understand it correctly because they are entitlements.

Things like increased funding for community health centers, etc would take the hit. BFD

Not as much as the republicans would like you to think because most of the spending is entitlement spending which is not subject to specific appropriations.

Mandates, rules, and regulations would still stand. So would the subsidies, if I understand it correctly because they are entitlements.

Things like increased funding for community health centers, etc would take the hit.

I was suspecting something along those lines.

Maybe a few policy wonks who specialize in the PPACA, but not me nor anyone on DP

Thanks for being honest, as I am in the same boat. It seems people of any persuasion would benefit from knowing the actual implications of something like this before throwing their full support (or opposition) toward it.

Hmm, name and email. I am sure that is 1.5 million people who actually exist. Oh well, I guess if it helps you to think you did something, go for it. Just a stupid point, but you could probably do a lot more if you just made up names and emails. I am sure you could get that up to 2 million if you really put in the effort. Now shoo, you have work to do.

You have to confirm from a verifying email or your electronic signature doesn't count. Seeing another one of your posts comprised of make believe and doltish commentary is as expected as it is amusing.

Prattle on... :sinking:

Μολὼν λαβέ;1062350903 said:
You have to confirm from a verifying email or your electronic signature doesn't count. Seeing another one of your posts comprised of make believe and doltish commentary is as expected as it is amusing.

Prattle on... :sinking:

Yeah, it is real hard to create a fake email from a free server. You do not even check if it is a US citizen. I understand you want to pretend this means something. I have created hundreds of email accounts over the years for email verification. It is a great way to avoid spam. You took that seriously? If you find the right server you could have a bot creating emails and verifying signatures. It is fake, and it is BS. You bought it. You do not even verify if a person is of voting age, lives in the US, is a registered voting citizen, or even exists outside of someone's mind. This is why no one takes online petitions very seriously. Sure, it might indicate something people want, but it is a load of BS unless the place organizing the signatures has some sort of real verification process to ensure who is signing up for them. Please, do not tell me about prattling on when this basic part of the internet has slipped by you. Learn to interwebz.

Back
Top Bottom