• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Would you re-elect your congressman?

Would you re-elect your congreeman?

• Yes

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • No

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters

jfuh

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Congressional approval rating is currently at 32%, lower then Bush's but then again a bit higher then Cheny's.
Yet typically 99% of congressman get re-elected. IS it just me or is something seriously f'd up about this? 99%!
Would you or would you not re-elect your congressman? Why or why not?
Do you think that the US should adopt a more multi-party friendly atmosphere where it's not just the opposite side of the same coin all the time?

jfuh said:
Congressional approval rating is currently at 32%, lower then Bush's but then again a bit higher then Cheny's.
Yet typically 99% of congressman get re-elected. IS it just me or is something seriously f'd up about this? 99%!
Do you think that the US should adopt a more multi-party friendly atmosphere where it's not just the opposite side of the same coin all the time?

When you ask people if they like Congress, they invariably say no. When you ask them if they like THEIR Congressperson, the one who brings home the pork, they invariably say yes.

And yes, I would, but he's retiring.:(

RightatNYU said:
When you ask people if they like Congress, they invariably say no. When you ask them if they like THEIR Congressperson, the one who brings home the pork, they invariably say yes.

:confused: I just don't get it.
Bring home the pork? We'll waste money that's ok, but you, you that other district, no you can not have pork.
Seriously f'd up.

jfuh said:
Congressional approval rating is currently at 32%; lower then Bush's but then again a bit higher then Cheny's.

This is probably because Congress is a far-off entity for most people, while their congressman is the one in close, personal touch (as compared to congress anyway).

In addition, it’s easier to blame a “far-off entity” than it is to blame someone who lives in your own state and (you think) looks out for you.

Personally, I want congressmen who take care of the country as a whole, not just my state. For one thing, something done in another state will probably have at least some impact on where I live as well.

RightatNYU said:

This question was posed on the Bill Maher show. This was the same answer given!

It's all those other congressmen screwing things up. Not mine. :rofl

jfuh said:
:confused: I just don't get it.
Bring home the pork? We'll waste money that's ok, but you, you that other district, no you can not have pork.
Seriously f'd up.

I know, it makes me queasy. Saw a story the other day - the most junior member of Congrees, some republican who just got in 60 days ago reported that he'd already had 63 request for earmarks from interest groups.

its getting (no, scratch that, its gotten) ridiculous.

www.porkbusters.com

No, of course not, she's Jane Harman, a Democrat.

Then again, she took a session off to buy the governor's seat once, and Steve Kuykendall became the Republican Congressthing from my district.

He did such a swell job of keeping Jane's seat warm, supporting all the issues she wanted to support that I didn't see much point in voting for either when he came up for election a second time. Neither, apparently, did a whole lot of Republicans.

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
No, of course not, she's Jane Harman, a Democrat.

Then again, she took a session off to buy the governor's seat once, and Steve Kuykendall became the Republican Congressthing from my district.

He did such a swell job of keeping Jane's seat warm, supporting all the issues she wanted to support that I didn't see much point in voting for either when he came up for election a second time. Neither, apparently, did a whole lot of Republicans.
This is exactly the point. Regardless republican, or democrat, it hardly makes any difference as to who is the congressman because they both suck.
We don't have a choice between good or bad but choices between bad and worse.
All these candidates are chizled to look practically identical and they don't give any real debates either.
Is this democracy?

Check it out guys, a thread that both liberals and conservatives agree on and have a productive debate about.

jfuh said:
This is exactly the point. Regardless republican, or democrat, it hardly makes any difference as to who is the congressman because they both suck.
We don't have a choice between good or bad but choices between bad and worse.
All these candidates are chizled to look practically identical and they don't give any real debates either.
Is this democracy?

No, it's a representational republic. If people cared, they'd get more involved in the primaries where such decisions are made.

No, I wouldn't-- and I campaigned for her opponent during the 2004 election.

Yup. I would, and he is a republican. I think he is moderate, and he has openly criticized Bush for the Katrina response. I love someone who can provide an honest opinion regarding someone in his/her own party.

Korimyr the Rat said:
No, I wouldn't-- and I campaigned for her opponent during the 2004 election.
May I inquire as to why not?

jfuh said:

I would re-elect my congressman if the other choices sucked.

jfuh said:
May I inquire as to why not?

Wyoming's a mineral wealth state, but we're allowing corporations from other states-- mostly Texas-- to literally take the land right out from under our noses and keep the wealth from selling it.

Ms. Cubin is complicit in this, both being heavily invested in the businesses that are stealing our resources and having attained office with considerable assistance from then-Senator Cheney.

There are no jobs here for young people with educations, and we're practically begging people like Lowe's and Wal-Mart to expand their presence here to make up for it-- as if yet another $8/hour warehouse job makes up for the fact that Wyoming's turning into nothing more than a resort location for California liberals and celebrities with a hankering for dude ranching.

Ted Ladd was promising to help us keep some of that wealth here and to start encouraging real jobs to come here, and I like his views on education-- my biggest issue-- so I pushed for him.

Last edited:
My congressman isn't running for re-election. Although if he were my vote would depend upon who his opponent was.

by the way - M. Oxley is my rep.
He announced his retirement from Congress on November 1, 2005, effective at the end of his term in 2007.

Arthur Fonzarelli said:
My congressman isn't running for re-election. Although if he were my vote would depend upon who his opponent was.

by the way - M. Oxley is my rep.
He announced his retirement from Congress on November 1, 2005, effective at the end of his term in 2007.

HEeeeeeeeeyyyy!

Korimyr the Rat said:
Wyoming's a mineral wealth state, but we're allowing corporations from other states-- mostly Texas-- to literally take the land right out from under our noses and keep the wealth from selling it.

Ms. Cubin is complicit in this, both being heavily invested in the businesses that are stealing our resources and having attained office with considerable assistance from then-Senator Cheney.

There are no jobs here for young people with educations, and we're practically begging people like Lowe's and Wal-Mart to expand their presence here to make up for it-- as if yet another $8/hour warehouse job makes up for the fact that Wyoming's turning into nothing more than a resort location for California liberals and celebrities with a hankering for dude ranching.

Ted Ladd was promising to help us keep some of that wealth here and to start encouraging real jobs to come here, and I like his views on education-- my biggest issue-- so I pushed for him.
No idea Colorado was doing poorly. Doesn't Lockheed have a few nice facilities there? But then true, the whole state can't depend on just one company.
As far as CO goes I'm only knowledgeable of Aspen for the exact reasons you've mentioned.
I don't know how Lowe's or Wal-mart would make up for anything if there are no other jobs that allow for purchasing.
How is Ted Ladd planning to attract Jobs to CO?

I'm in Wyoming. Colorado's had a lot more luck, largely because of an influx of Californian immigrants.

My congressman is Dennis Moore, a centrist Democrat. He will definitely have my vote this year.

I'm lucky to have Congressman Jim Leach, a fiscal conservative but socially liberal Republican. I would probably vote for him again over your average cookie-cutter Democrat, because he can work both sides of the aisle, and it seems that he votes by conviction and conscience, not by what his party is doing, which I like.

But if a great Democrat came along - charismatic with some great ideas, with conviction - I'd take them over Leach. They may agree socially, but I'm fiscally liberal at heart.

If a fiscally liberal, but socially conservative Democrat ran against Leach, I'd have a hard time choosing. It'd be tough.

Back
Top Bottom