• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Would you rather see the democratic nominee be more middle of the road or more progressive?

bongsaway

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Would you rather see the democratic nominee be more middle of the road or more progressive?

My personal choice would be to see a more progressive candidate be chosen. I think we lose too many folks when we try for a middle of the road candidate to try to get some republican votes. This time around I think that would be a losing proposition. Don't waste time and effort trying to convert republicans to vote democratic. Middle of the road candidates are not what we need to clean up the mess we have in politics. We need folks who are going to take on big money and corporate america. The divide between the very wealthy and everyone else is getting to the tipping point. It's time for a change.

My personal choice would be to see a more progressive candidate be chosen. I think we lose too many folks when we try for a middle of the road candidate to try to get some republican votes. This time around I think that would be a losing proposition. Don't waste time and effort trying to convert republicans to vote democratic. Middle of the road candidates are not what we need to clean up the mess we have in politics. We need folks who are going to take on big money and corporate america. The divide between the very wealthy and everyone else is getting to the tipping point. It's time for a change.
Not sure how progressive, you mean. If you do not attract moderate or independent voters you cannot win the states that get you the electoral college. You have to win in the rust belt like Penn, Michigan, Ohio, or you have to win something in the South like Florida, or Texas. The kind of progressive candidates you are talking about, will not win in purple.

Last edited:

I don't have a preference in that regard.

If you do not attract moderate or independent voters you cannot win the states that get you the electoral college. You have to win in the rust belt like Penn, Michigan, Ohio, or you have to win Florida, or Texas. The kind of progressive candidates you are talking about, will not win in purple.

I'm not so sure that holds true any longer. There were some red states that came dang close to being flipped. Beside that, the younger generations, the ones being shot at in schools, I don't think the majority of them will vote R. Politics is becoming more about social issues than financial issues.

Are you saying that a "middle-of-the-road" candidate is just another word for "passive", do nothing, don't rock the boat, what's the point in being there candidate ?

The President is a leader or is at least supposed to be. What's the point of a president who doesn't offer leadership and prefers to stand still.

Political and economic inertia helps no-one.

I'm not so sure that holds true any longer. There were some red states that came dang close to being flipped. Beside that, the younger generations, the ones being shot at in schools, I don't think the majority of them will vote R. Politics is becoming more about social issues than financial issues.
Sad news to report, the 'younger generation' almost never shows up. I don't know how many times, in my lifetime a candidate was sold on this 'dream.

Are you saying that a "middle-of-the-road" candidate is just another word for "passive", do nothing, don't rock the boat, what's the point in being there candidate ?

The President is a leader or is at least supposed to be. What's the point of a president who doesn't offer leadership and prefers to stand still.

Political and economic inertia helps no-one.

Worst came to worst, I would rather have a president who stands still and accomplishes nothing, than one who drags the country backwards.

Sad news to report, the 'younger generation' almost never shows up. I don't know how many times, in my lifetime a candidate was sold on this 'dream.

Even worse news, they showed up in record numbers last election.

I'm hoping for AOC or Tlaib.

Worst came to worst, I would rather have a president who stands still and accomplishes nothing, than one who drags the country backwards.

Well I guess you have a point there.

But I was thinking optimistically and that we'd see candidates with some kind of progressive vision. Reform and improvement.

In Barack Obama you had both!

More progressive for sure. The majority of the people's values are progressive anyway.

The Democratic Party lost its mooring when Bill Clinton went to the center (and to the total right on some issues, like crime).

I rather to see someone who don’t hide behind political believes. And actually agree with voters. You know we have these people who run for the political position and, then they turn around and, do whatever no way

I don't care I would like to see a real split ticket. A general (like Pelosi) someone that knows the levers, with a new young greenie that can be groomed to take over from the general.
Nothing can get done if you don't have the power, know where the bodies are buried, know how to wield the power.
Unless every senator and congressperson goes we need someone with experience.

In between but single payer healthcare is a must.

You just provided the perfect demonstration of what's wrong with the prog mind: "Hate everything and everyone who doesn't think like you".

They showed up in the midterms, and those are the elections almost NO ONE shows up for.
So THIS time, I think this generation learned.

Here's an idea - everyone who's been shot at votes Democrat, everyone who hasn't votes Republican? Deal? :cool:

You just provided the perfect demonstration of what's wrong with the prog mind: "Hate everything and everyone who doesn't think like you".

As my last response to you this evening, where do you get hate out of my post. I said not waste time trying to convert republicans to the dems side, that's hate to you? And I also said my personal preference would be a more progressive candidate. I didn't say I was right, I stated my opinion. This is why I don't answer you much. The R's have told their base who they officially support in 2020, if he's still around and are daring anyone to primary him. My question included a couple choices. See the difference?

As my last response to you this evening, where do you get hate out of my post.
It drips from everything you say.

bongwaway said:
I said not waste time trying to convert republicans to the dems side, that's hate to you? And I also said my personal preference would be a more progressive candidate. I didn't say I was right, I stated my opinion. This is why I don't answer you much. The R's have told their base who they officially support in 2020, if he's still around and are daring anyone to primary him. My question included a couple choices. See the difference?
Can you possibly be that tone deaf? Look at the nasty accusations you made about those on the right.

Back
Top Bottom